New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default I found this amusing.....so this is what the 80s were like?

I was going through an old issue of Dragon I bought at a local store for $2, and I came across this page:
    Spoiler
    Show

I am not sure why, but I just found this funny.

I also got a good chuckle out of things like a Waldenbooks add for selling D&D books saying "Look in the Yellow Pages for a Waldenbooks near you!".

I envy those of you who enjoyed the 80s D&D scene, since fantasy from that area just seems better; however, besides that I can't imagine how you guys got by...

(p.s. I love the sweaters. :D)
    Last edited by newbDM; 2009-04-03 at 03:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: I found this amusing.....so this is what the 80s were like?

Wow, I think I may have played that game...

(Also, could you put the image in spoiler tags?)
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

is it just me or does it seem like the kid on the left is looking at the guy in white and going "he's dreamy!", the guy in white is all like "aw yeah" and the 3rd guy is all "heh heh heh...(mental note: Aaaawkwarrrd)"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

... the jokes are soo bad, not in a bad way just very very lame.

I'd imagine this would be what a late 80's acid trip would look it.
    mikej

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Knight View Post
    Just to save time:

Giacomo: Monks are as strong as wizards with UMD and partially charged wands.

[Respected forum members]: No they are not.

Giacomo: Yes they are. You all just abuse the rules.

[Rfm]: No u

G: No u

Repeat until someone challenges G to duel, which then never happens.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

So...are we supposed to imagine that the dragon is really there or not? Because the kids don't seem to notice it.

At least John Stamos and Anthony Michael Hall don't. Scott Baio looks like he might be closing his eyes with fear.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

6. - Top - End - #6

SwashbucklerGuy

I've played that game. It's pretty cool, like speed HacknSlash DnD.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

I have, a few monsters missing in my second hand copy, but the game itself was fun. Names seem to derive a bit from Faerun, especially novel Azure Bonds: Monsters like "Evil Sorceress Cassana of Westgate", weapons like "Hillcleaver, +2 sword"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

That game was totally rad, man!
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Ha, if you think that was bad:

Spoiler
    Show

It is like no period of the 80s I remember, but then I wasn't even a teenager back then, and maybe it was exactly like that across the pond...
    Last edited by Matthew; 2009-04-03 at 05:39 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

Spoiler
    Show

It is like no period of the 80s I remember, but then I wasn't even a teenager back then, and maybe it was exactly like that across the pond...
    ARGH!!! THE EYEBLEACH!! I NEEDS SOME!

Really, was it like that in the 80s? If so, thank GOD I was born in '88 and don't remember squat.

Also: fixed your formatting a touch. 'Twas a bit jacked up. Nvm, it appears you've noticed.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-04-03 at 05:41 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, indeed. Of course, the 90s were no picnic either... especially if you weren't prepared for a Dragon Strike!

I am sure the period 2000-2010 will look equally ludicrous to us in ten or twenty years time, but still...
    Last edited by Matthew; 2009-04-03 at 05:50 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

12. - Top - End - #12

I love that movie so much.

I think my favorite scene is the bit with the owlbear. It was made all the better because the game had no owlbears in it, causing one to question why they didn't use a troll, or bugbear, or something.

On Dungeon, though, that's a pretty cool game - there was nothing quite like bursting into a room to see a Dracolich.
    Last edited by Thane of Fife; 2009-04-03 at 05:55 PM.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

13. - Top - End - #13

I still miss Hero Quest... used to play that all the time. Never could find any of the expansion packs, though.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Not only have I played that game... I still have that game. I even have all the pieces.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The problem with Hero Quest was that, much like Epic levels in 3.5E, you reached a point where the monsters simply couldn't challenge the Heroes anymore, not unless you were really stingy with loot. Still, I played all 12 Quests, the Return of the Witch King and Kellar's Keep, so I got a lot of fun out of the game.

Oh, I used to play Dungeon with my friends too. We had that goddamn game down to a science, to the point where we had memorized how many of a certain treasure and which monsters could be found in which level. Sort of takes the guesswork out of playing one of the Wizards.
    Last edited by FoE; 2009-04-03 at 09:08 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Had a couple things with that add. Yes, yes I was there.

And I love Krull.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let us be thankful, that we were born not even a year earlier.

Anyone remember this game?

Interestingly, this was my parents game and they played it with me, when I was very young. True, it's not D&D, but my mother introduced me to dungeon crawling.
    Last edited by Neithan; 2009-04-04 at 04:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

RangerGuy

Ah, how i loved the 80s.

You think thats bad, go watch the dungeons and dragons cartoon. Seriously, the villian's a cross eyed idiot with a horrid overbite.
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I like parts of the 80's. For example, Ghostbusters, early video and computer games, and of course, D&D. The clothes and fashion I have a real love/hate relationship with.On one hand I find them atrociously ugly. On the other hand, they are so out there, so bombastic and colourful, I can't help but love them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

If there's one good thing that can be said for the 80s it is this: it wasn't the 70s.

With that offhanded dismissal of everything that happened before I was born (I challenge anyone to prove that the universe did not begin in 1984) out of the way, I can at least say this for the decade:

*The cartoons were pretty sweet.
    *The toys, too.
    *Some of the music was okay

I would make a statement regarding the politics, business, and overall culture of the decade, but I was under three feet tall throughout, so what I mostly remember is the cartoons, toys and music.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

21. - Top - End - #21

Of course, if you think the people in those ads look bad, you have to remember that all advertising presents aspirational images to its target market. So yeah, there really were kids in the 80s who would have looked at those ads and thought 'hey, if I buy this game maybe I'll be that cool'. Not that I was one of them, of course....

Then again, I don't think I've seen any ads for D&D recently, so maybe they're still trying to appeal to the same demographic.
    Look at me - I'm Robespierre!

Have you ever considered eating your own lungs? I can show you how to prepare them if you'd like.

Safe is for NPCs. I live on the edge

22. - Top - End - #22

I grew up through the 80s. That ain't bad at all. I seriously don't get what the hullaballoo is aboutl. I don't see any scary shoulder pads, giant hair, or triple layered socks. Just three sweater preppies playing a board game.

Also, playing D&D in the 80s was srs bsns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbcWKWp2UE4 (WARNING: Contains extreme 80s nerdery)

Also, it could suck you into an alternate universe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-sCXV58Q8U (Also, did you know you could flee Tiamat with a simple rope trick)?
    And the best thing you ever done for me is to help me take my life less seriously. It's only life, after all.
    - Emily Saliers, "Closer to Fine"

LGBTitP

Blog: http://deathquaker.livejournal.com
    Seldom updated Website: http://www.deathquaker.org

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neithan View Post
    Yes! I do!

...I can't remember how I old I was, but I had loads of fun with that game (which was certainly made before I was born). Quite possibly helped lead to my interest in RPGs, along with Wizardry 8 and possibly other things I can't remember.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Jesus...even I would beat that kid up. And I was cast from the most cliched geek mold ever made.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    If there's one good thing that can be said for the 80s it is this: it wasn't the 70s.

With that offhanded dismissal of everything that happened before I was born (I challenge anyone to prove that the universe did not begin in 1984) out of the way, I can at least say this for the decade:

*The cartoons were pretty sweet.
    *The toys, too.
    *Some of the music was okay

I would make a statement regarding the politics, business, and overall culture of the decade, but I was under three feet tall throughout, so what I mostly remember is the cartoons, toys and music.
    Don't forget the video games.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, that's pretty much what the 80s were like. There were more hair bands, and the sexual revolution was happening at the beginning, and people kept talking about communist conspiracies even though things like Perestroika were happening, but that's unrelated.

Let's see: Decades I liked. 1990s, 1960s (1970s ruined a good thing with watergate and disco), 1950s, 1940s (War is horrible, but winning THAT war felt good), 1920s, The Oughts, 1890s, and then we have to jump back all the way to 1650s. I don't actually remember the 1650s that clearly, but I had fun. There was alcohol involved, and a few heists/assassinations, and I wound up getting banished from france.

Decades I am ambivalent about: Oughts MK II, 1970s, 1930s, 1880s. Then pretty much 1760s-1860s.

Decades I disliked: 1980s, 1910s, 1870, and pretty much everything not mentioned between 1760 and the dawn of mankind. Though... I think on the modern calendar it was around 120 ad? Rome was decent. Some of the posher neighborhoods even DIDN'T have fecal matter running in the streets.

If anyone ever asks you the greatest invention of humanity, the answer is indoor plumbing. The second greatest is toilet paper.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Don't forget the video games.
    I mentally filed them under "toys". Definitely don't want to forget the many many hours and braincells I wasted in front of Mario, Megaman and Link.

I have a Nintendo Wii now. It's great and I've had lots of fun with it even with the few games I currently own. But when I play it I'm still very aware that I'm a guy in his twenties waving a magic wand at a televised plumber.

But every now and then I'll dust off my old NES carts, blow into the console until my face is blue and then watch as the hours just disappear while I play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out.

I've defeated you before, Iron Mike, and I know I will again. Oh yes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Yep, that's pretty much what the 80s were like. There were more hair bands, and the sexual revolution was happening at the beginning, and people kept talking about communist conspiracies even though things like Perestroika were happening, but that's unrelated.

Let's see: Decades I liked. 1990s, 1960s (1970s ruined a good thing with watergate and disco), 1950s, 1940s (War is horrible, but winning THAT war felt good), 1920s, The Oughts, 1890s, and then we have to jump back all the way to 1650s. I don't actually remember the 1650s that clearly, but I had fun. There was alcohol involved, and a few heists/assassinations, and I wound up getting banished from france.

Decades I am ambivalent about: Oughts MK II, 1970s, 1930s, 1880s. Then pretty much 1760s-1860s.

Decades I disliked: 1980s, 1910s, 1870, and pretty much everything not mentioned between 1760 and the dawn of mankind. Though... I think on the modern calendar it was around 120 ad? Rome was decent. Some of the posher neighborhoods even DIDN'T have fecal matter running in the streets.

If anyone ever asks you the greatest invention of humanity, the answer is indoor plumbing. The second greatest is toilet paper.
    Wow. Wow..........

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

hee hee. "Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name..."

(kidding)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neithan View Post

Interestingly, this was my parents game and they played it with me, when I was very young. True, it's not D&D, but my mother introduced me to dungeon crawling.
    Unfortunately not, but I remember the many, many hours spent playing this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show