New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Cleric change ideas (3.5)

I was thinking of creating a homebrew world with 5 dieties who each have Clerics with some unique features, but I'm not sure how balanced my ideas are. Would taking Turning, Spontaneous Casting and Heavy Armour Proficiency while granting a Druid Animal Companion or sentinet Construct be balanced? Also, would taking away Turning and Spotaneous casting in exchange for the Incarnate* Paladin variant's Elmental Burst be fair? )The Incarnate is able to make a ranged touch attack (max range of 60’) that does 1d4 + Charisma modifier damage of both of his/her
    Elemental Affinity energies (i.e., a total of 2d4 + (2 x Charisma modifier damage)). Incarnates with ‘Fire & Water’ affinity do Fire & Cold damage, while
    ‘Air & Earth’ affinity do Electricity & Acid damage. Usable Charisma bonus times per day.) I was thinking of boosting that so that an extra 2d4 HPs of damage are added every 2 or 3 levels.

* See page 77 of http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD...asses-Base.pdf for more information on this variant.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cleric change ideas (3.5)

1. Turning+Heavy Armor+Spon. Casting is already powerful. ADDING Animal Companion/Construct Companion to that is.... wrong. Now, trading the former set for the latter, that seems more balanced.

2. I think that elemental burst thing seems a fair trade for turning/spon. casting.

Does this answer your question?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes thanks. What would you take from a Cleric to add a companion?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said, just trade the Spon. Casting and Heavy Armor for the Companion. Maybe limit them to Light/No Armor. That's just my guess though, wait for a real rules guru to come along and give you a better estimate.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

If you plan on taking away spontaneous healing, turning, and heavy armor, why not work from the Druid as a base instead of a Cleric? The companion is already there, and sacrifice some of the level abilities for the Elemental googaw you are looking at.
    YOUNG GOAT!

Get out of my mind
    My love for you is way out of line
    Better run, GOAT
    You're much to young, GOAT!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I wanted to keep the basic Cleric spell list intact. (I was thinking about giving different Clerics different spontaneous casting, though.)
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Instead of a natural companion (unless its a nature deity), maybe a celestial/fiendish companion similar to a Blackguard's friend. Give good clerics something like a Lantern Archon or one of the lesser Eladrin while giving evil clerics an Imp or Quasit, upgrading to a Sucubus or similar as the cleric gains power.

Might be a bit hard to stat out progression though, given the power of certain outsiders. Might be easier to slap the Celestial or Fiendish templates on something and call it a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I wanted to keep the Clerics of the Good and Evil diety (the other Clerics will be less unique if they all get a companion).
    Spoiler
    Show