New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default 4e Multiclass Powers

I'm playing a multi-multi-classed bard (all of my feats are multiclass feats, as a 7th level human). As such, I have a few questions.

1) If you already possess a skill that your feat provides training in, can you retrain it? For example, if you are a bard who multi-classes into Wizard, Wizard gives you Arcane... which you already have. Can you retrain the Wizard Arcane into another Wizard or Bard skill, or does it have to remain (uselessly) Arcane? If you can't, that would seem to severely limit multiclassing within a power source... divine characters get less out of multi-classing within the Divine power source, since many will give Religion training. Arcane doesn't multiclass as well with arcane, because most give Arcana.

2) With the Fighter power, is the mark a Combat Challenge, or simply a mark? I think it is simply a mark, since it doesn't specify, but wanted to be sure.

3) With the Ranger Hunter's Quarry, can you only do that damage once/encounter, or can you only specify a single quarry per encounter, but continue to do damage to them for the encounter? I read it as you can only set your quarry once per encounter, but can continue to use the additional damage until they are dead.

Those are the ones that come to mind right now.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 4e Multiclass Powers

1)No
    2)I believe its just a mark
    3)You can deal Hunter's Quarry Damage till the target is dead, but only can use Hunter's Quarry 1/Encounter

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The Hunter's Quarry ends at the end of your next turn.

So you can get 2 uses out of it. 1 on the turn you apply it and another on the next turn before it wears off. This makes it similar in power level to the sneak attack for a multiclass character.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    The Hunter's Quarry ends at the end of your next turn.
    This clause was added by errata, as I recall, so don't be surprised if you can't find it in your printed copy of the PHB.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

You specifically cannot retrain skills your class requires, and some multiclass feats offer only one skill they give you, so multiclassing to similar classes for skills isn't always a good idea.

I personally as a DM houserule that if you allready have the skill as a required skill, then you can pick another skill from the new classes class list.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    You specifically cannot retrain skills your class requires, and some multiclass feats offer only one skill they give you, so multiclassing to similar classes for skills isn't always a good idea.

I personally as a DM houserule that if you allready have the skill as a required skill, then you can pick another skill from the new classes class list.
    That's what I would do, myself, but the DM preferred not. Turns out Ranger is a better fit for my character than wizard, anyway.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I houserule that the second training of it can be used as a "Skill focus" in my campaign. Skill focus is a feat that gives a +3 feat bonus to a skill you're already trained in. But normally, no.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I houserule that the second training of it can be used as a "Skill focus" in my campaign. Skill focus is a feat that gives a +3 feat bonus to a skill you're already trained in. But normally, no.
    I like this rule. It gives a nice bonus, but doesn't make the class/skills association pointless.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    And if you happen to take three? Say a Bard/Sorcerer/Wizard?
    The Cranky Gamer

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Can't stack further than 1 - it's a Feat Bonus after all
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    This clause was added by errata, as I recall, so don't be surprised if you can't find it in your printed copy of the PHB.
    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    As Oracle Hunter said. I'll let them have as many copies of Skill Focus: Arcana as they want... But it won't stack as it's a feat bonus, and can't be retrained.

However, if, as a Bard, you selected, say, Insight as one of your selected skills, and somehow got Insight from a multiclass... Well, you can retrain one thing each level, and that includes the skill choices you made at character creation. (Not the ones you have to take, which in the Bard's case is Arcana, but the ones you get to pick can be retrained to another of the one's you could've picked but didn't.) This part is normal though, not a houserule.