New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread

Voting thread is up!

Sorry about my recent uninvolvement in the contests, my whole work schedule has changed and thus my whole life has been rearranging itself and I'm trying to get back into the swing of it. Excuses are lame, I know, but just letting you know that while I have not PEACH'd anything, I have at least read over your entries and enjoyed them.

As for Djinn, I have no idea what happened with that. Thank you Witchking for putting up a voting thread and moderating that. Much appreciated, and I'm sure Djinn appreciates it too.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #392
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    As for Djinn, I have no idea what happened with that. Thank you Witchking for putting up a voting thread and moderating that. Much appreciated, and I'm sure Djinn appreciates it too.
    I'm just glad everyone seems to be okay with it.

I set the end of voting for midnight of Monday September 21st--if anyone has an objection, please let me know.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no interest in continuing a photo contest, so if Djinn doesn't come back around to play with it, or if he's done with it, if you want to Witchking (or anyone else for that matter) let me know and I'll keep posts moderated in this thread for it. If people like that sort of contest, we should keep it going.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Orc in the Playground

I have no interest in continuing a photo contest, so if Djinn doesn't come back around to play with it, or if he's done with it, if you want to Witchking (or anyone else for that matter) let me know and I'll keep posts moderated in this thread for it. If people like that sort of contest, we should keep it going.

-X
    I'd be willing to run it from now on if there's interest.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The WitchKing View Post
    I'd be willing to run it from now on if there's interest.
    I enjoyed it. I'd certainly participate again if it's continued.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Orc in the Playground

The first Worth A Thousands Words contest is over!

TSED's Witchlamp is the winner! Congratulations to TSED for such a fine class!

Worth A Thousand Words II is up!

7. - Top - End - #397

Oooh, this new picture contest is going to be a hard one. I will certainly enter, but it'll probably take me a few days to figure out what I want to do. So many possibilities, and I feel like I shouldn't let myself just stick to my comfort zone...

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Love that picture, I think it's gonna end up a background :D

Trying to figure out what to do for the next contest, stay tuned!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

9. - Top - End - #399
    Firbolg in the Playground

...me? Again? But...but...wow. Thanks, everyone. I hadn't even really considered the class finished before I was unceremoniously pulled away from the playground. I guess the forum consensus is that it's fine as it is.

PairO'Dice Lost, I just want to say that I loved the creativity of your entry. Kudos to you!

And Witchking? Thanks for picking up my slack there, and taking the initiative to run a new one. You are truly a god among forum-goers.

To give a reason behind my unexplained disappearance: my life took a turn for the worse recently, and it involved things such as chronic depression, a lack of willpower to do any of the activities I used to love, a general forgetfulness (where the contest fell), and many visits to counseling and similar things. That said, I feel that I'm back on track, so expect to see me around more in days to come.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well Djinn, nothing cures depression like winning a contest.
    In all seriousness though, hope things go well for you.
    As for an idea for the next contest, maybe something a little bad*** as a base?

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    PairO'Dice Lost, I just want to say that I loved the creativity of your entry. Kudos to you!
    So close and yet so far....

I really liked your entry as well, though with them being tied I didn't vote for it for obvious reasons. ;) Mine was mostly an off-the-cuff joke entry that turned out well, so I think you definitely deserve the win.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

12. - Top - End - #402
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Congrats Djinn =D, you're an awesome builder!
    I hope everything ends up well for you ^^!
    "I'd rather DM to nice heroes than powerful slashers."
    Im a fan of dungeons.

GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, very sorry to hear about your life troubles Djinn, and of course we all hope the best for you. But without further adieu, Welcome back to the boards! You were missed

Now, on to the next contest... expect to see something here either today or tomorrow.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

14. - Top - End - #404

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    I really liked your entry as well, though with them being tied I didn't vote for it for obvious reasons. ;) Mine was mostly an off-the-cuff joke entry that turned out well, so I think you definitely deserve the win.
    When I saw that they were tied, I felt the same way. As a huge Simon and Garfunkel fan, well, something about yours really appealed to me.

Hmmm...now two simultaneous contests to try my hand at. This will be...interesting.

*heads to the drawing board*

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

15. - Top - End - #405

Sorry that I haven't been able to participate; my computer time is somewhat limited, sadly. I do, however, have a suggestion for the next contest:

Mass Destruction

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

16. - Top - End - #406
    Orc in the Playground

And Witchking? Thanks for picking up my slack there, and taking the initiative to run a new one. You are truly a god among forum-goers.
    I'm glad to hear you're doing better. Thank you for coming up with such a great idea for a contest. Please let me know if you wish to resume running it.

17. - Top - End - #407

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. Thank you for coming up with such a great idea for a contest. Please let me know if you wish to resume running it.
    I'll let you handle this one, at least, as you seem to have a good start on it. I may pick up the later ones again, if I feel that I'll be reliable enough.

That said, that's a fairly inspiring image you've put up there. Which would you guys rather see?

The Daughter of Dawn: Half mortal being, half spirit of ether and light, the Daughters of Dawn dance and play in the darkest forests and brightest fields, as intangible as the light of morning itself.

The Flowering Briarqueen: Mistress of the forest's cloak of vines and thorns, the Flowering Briarqueen brings her domain in her wake as she travels the woods, hampering foes in the densest undergrowth the ancient forest has to offer.

The Wealding Daemon: Once a living being, now a part of the forest itself, the Wealding Daemon is an incarnation of the verdant majesty of the great woods, manifesting them in both their aged glory and their deep secrecy.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

18. - Top - End - #408

Flowering Briarqueen! That name reminds me of something...
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

Something I've been meaning to ask--why is it that we see prestige class contests but not base class contests? Is there something about the base class that makes it less "contestable"? Perhaps that it tends to rely upon more pedestrian abilities than prestige classes or that it needs to be more rugged and less specific? Or is it just that prestige classes are more popular?

20. - Top - End - #410

Something I've been meaning to ask--why is it that we see prestige class contests but not base class contests? Is there something about the base class that makes it less "contestable"? Perhaps that it tends to rely upon more pedestrian abilities than prestige classes or that it needs to be more rugged and less specific? Or is it just that prestige classes are more popular?
    PrC's are a lot easier to IMO, and I think DMs will be more apt to allow them.

However, I think the main factor is Flavour. Base classes have to be general, so that they can cover all "environments", but PrC's are supposed to be flavourful and add to the background, taste, and experience of the PC (or NPC). SO, in a contest like this, with themes and such, PrC's just fit much more than base classes would.
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

21. - Top - End - #411

There was a base class contest, actually. I won it ^_^ *Beams with pride* It's just a lot harder to do. If you were to run one, I'd probably submit my Witch Doctor (if I ever finish the goddamn Brews) though :D

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

New PrC contest is up, Hybrid Theory, where you take two base classes and pick an ability to two from them both and synergize those abilities together to for new effects and abilities. Any questions, shoot em, I'll be happy to field em.

Get brewing!
    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

23. - Top - End - #413

New PrC contest is up, Hybrid Theory, where you take two base classes and pick an ability to two from them both and synergize those abilities together to for new effects and abilities. Any questions, shoot em, I'll be happy to field em.

Get brewing!
    -X
    Hmmm...this one is actually difficult for me. I tend to make prestige classes after ideas, not mechanical strengths...

Still, I like a challenge, and doubt it will stump me for long.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm...this one is actually difficult for me. I tend to make prestige classes after ideas, not mechanical strengths...

Still, I like a challenge, and doubt it will stump me for long.
    Well, outside of the little ideas that any and all are welcome to use that I placed in the opening paragraphs of the contest page, I say get an idea and then see what classes fit it best, and work from there? Good luck Djinn!

-X

P.S. This is to everyone, I'd love to see someone work out an Ultimate Magus style class to hybrid Psion and Wilder together, making use of the Wild Surge of the Wilder and the Discipline focus of the Psion. Just a personal challenge to anyone who has a strong grasp on Psionics :D
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2009-09-28 at 07:57 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

The sky's the limit. You may draw from any source for base classes from the Wizards of the Coast line...
    does this mean that we can't base it off of homebrew classes or homebrew fixes to canon classes? don't think so, but wanted to make sure...
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

You know, I think it's about time I entered another PrC competition.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    does this mean that we can't base it off of homebrew classes or homebrew fixes to canon classes? don't think so, but wanted to make sure...
    Keep it to the books, as it gives everyone a solid standing point. That way, everyone knows where everything is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    I'd love to see what you can come up with Krimm. It has indeed been a while!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    ...there goes my winning streak.

I think I speak for more than myself when I say that I am usually in awe of your work, my good sir Blackleaf.

*wanders off to prepare something worthy of competing against the great and mighty Krimm Blackleaf*

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Get brewing!
    -X
    ...dammit. I should have saved the Acolyte of Garfunkel for that one.

P.S. This is to everyone, I'd love to see someone work out an Ultimate Magus style class to hybrid Psion and Wilder together, making use of the Wild Surge of the Wilder and the Discipline focus of the Psion. Just a personal challenge to anyone who has a strong grasp on Psionics :D
    Strong grasp on psionics, check. Expertise with theurge-type PrCs, check. Challenge accepted, my good man. My homework load should be lightening up by this weekend, so expect something along those lines then.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    ...dammit. I should have saved the Acolyte of Garfunkel for that one.

Strong grasp on psionics, check. Expertise with theurge-type PrCs, check. Challenge accepted, my good man. My homework load should be lightening up by this weekend, so expect something along those lines then.
    Hehe, sorry, I am a stinker aren't I?

If you're willing to take on my personal challenge, then by all means, I'm a fan of yours works and I look forward to seeing the results. Good show!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits: