New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread

I have an idea...needs work but
    The Monastic Monk!!!
    a divine powered monk!
    This way all monks CAN be Jet Li...
    but hmm it definitly needs work

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Time for a "what would you rather see" survey!

Minstrel of the Fourfold Cycle: A Bard/Druid PrC channeling the natural powers of the changing year into potent songs infused with the magic of the fey. Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter spill forth from their voices, changing their powers and abilities as the seasons change around them.

Shaman of the Given World: A Binder/Druid PrC offering vestiges not just a vicarious experience at life but a chance to partake of the world once more, forming a bond far deeper than that of a mere bargain; that of true trust and friendship, something most vestiges have long forgotten. In exchange the Shaman receives a power derived from a fusion of the natural and the unnatural, forged into a single cohesive whole.

Ninja of the Shrouded Dawn: A Ninja/Swordsage PrC combining the Desert Wind school of martial maneuvers with the Ninja's natural stealth and mobility to strike quickly and devastate opponents with the dazzling fury of raw sunlight. Perhaps a bit to similar to the Shadow Sun Ninja, although the techniques and abilities are different.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #423

I vote Minstrel of the Fourfould Cycle; Bards need MOAR THEURGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

I've started on a barbarian/wilder (or psychic warrior, egoist or possibly ardent) class, similar to the rage mage, but hopefully interesting and with clearly written rules. Among other things, it spends PP to augment its rages, hopefully in a way that won't resemble the Pathfinder barbarian.

I'd love to see someone do something with the dragonfire adept, as opposed to the warlock. Maybe a psion/dragonfire adept who emulates gem dragons. Or something combining incarnum with Tome of Battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    Time for a "what would you rather see" survey!
    The Minstrel sounds mechanically interesting - abilities that change depending on the season sound cool. Although, it makes me wonder what would happen when they travel to a place with wet and dry seasons
    Yet I'd also like to see the flavor for the Shaman, and it could have interesting abilities too.
    Someday I'll have my anxiety under control, but until then, I'm prone to sudden month-long disappearances.

5. - Top - End - #425

Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    The Minstrel sounds mechanically interesting - abilities that change depending on the season sound cool. Although, it makes me wonder what would happen when they travel to a place with wet and dry seasons
    Yet I'd also like to see the flavor for the Shaman, and it could have interesting abilities too.
    A bit more about them then.

The Minstrel gains a spontaneous casting list and new Bardic Music abilities based on the current season, but may also expend Bardic Music attempts to temporarily alter the season around himself. The seasons are represented as such: Spring (Healing and Life), Summer (Heat and Light), Autumn (Despair and Decay) and Winter (Cold and Death). So, for example, a high level Minstrel walking around in winter can wail of the banshee his foes into oblivion, or conjure up the blizzards of winter with his song. Yet he can also sing Summer into being, and suddenly rise against his opponents in the blinding glory of the summer solstice, his voice bringing the scourging fires of the sun to bear upon his enemies.

The Shaman wishes to give vestiges a chance to experience life once more, having bonded deeply with his otherworldly comrades. He can draw them into physical forms (having them occupy phantom [or dead...unsure yet] forms of animals), and he can fuel them with his natural magic, sacrificing Vestige abilities to empower his spells and spells to empower his Vestige abilities. He can even allow them to enter his animal companion, sacrificing one of his closest friends as a gift to those forever denied the touch of reality.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

While I love anything to do with Binders that does not actually suck, I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go for more Bard love, especially Druid/Bard love. While it seems more mechanically complicated, it also seems more flavorfilled and fun. I say go with the Minstrel.

As an aside, I'm also 110% behind anyone who wants to make multiclass feats to go with their classes, i.e. something like Ascetic, Daring, and Devoted feat lines from the various Completes. New feats like Ascetic Bargainer (monk + binder), or Wrathful Performer (Barbarian + Bard), etc etc

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

7. - Top - End - #427
    Bugbear in the Playground

<_< I vote for the Shaman... anything that includes Druid in it is going to be a hit withe me, and I'd love to see the Binder get some good love.
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Orc in the Playground

In that case I have to go for the Minstrel of the Fourfold Cycle, though it was close.
    Someday I'll have my anxiety under control, but until then, I'm prone to sudden month-long disappearances.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am laying claim on the Vengeful Striker, a Monk Barbarian mash up.

The Alignment switchover will be challenging, but awesome to make a mechanic for.
    Last edited by gdiddy; 2009-09-30 at 12:20 AM.
    GMs 3.5, cWoD, Rogue Trader, Monsterhearts, The Pool, and Fudge. Narrativist, wacky builder, and dancer.

10. - Top - End - #430

Hmmm...the Ministrel isn't coming to me yet, meaning that it will probably be poorly mashed together if I try to force it. The idea is sound, but I'm just not getting the required brain wave. Same, oddly enough, for the Shaman...I can do it, but not as a true hybrid class.

Additionally, for some reason I prefer for my Prestiges Classes to have a truly unique feel to them, and I didn't think that the Ministrel was getting that vibe...it seemed more of a gimmick than a character defining class, which goes counter to my ideas of PrC theory.

Yet at the same time I am feeling exceptionally Bard-y (or Artificer-y for one of them), so can I get some opinions on these? I'm keeping the mechanics out of the loop so that I don't inadvernantly rig the contest by letting people choose the mechanics they like best ahead of time...

Eternal Harmonist: A Bard/Truenamer who eternally sings in harmony with the true song of the universe, the language of creation flowing from parted lips as easily as normal speech...

Harmonious Mastermaker: An Artificer/Bard who weaves song into creation, forging machines that hum and resonate with the human voice, growing stronger when wrapped in a tuneful melody...

Soul Tinker: Bard/Soul Melder who pours fragments of living spirits into inanimate creations, granting the devices a living spark and creating an amalgamation never before seen in the mortal world...

Bloodrage Diva: A Barbarian/Bard whose frantic melodies carry the song of battle, the screams of the wounded, and the last gasps of dying souls...

Twilight Lyrist: A Bard/Shadowcaster whose voice beckons darkness and slumber as they slowing conjure forth the coming of night into the world...

Siren of Dreams: A Bard/Psionic Manifester who sings of their victim's dreams and ambitions, trapping them in a world of their own imagining and weakening their minds against the perils of the real world...

Choirmaster of the Voiceless: A Bard/Necromancer whose voice is carried by thousands of broken throats, sung by corpses animated not through dark magic, but by the music that runs through the soul...

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Eternal Harmonist: A Bard/Truenamer who eternally sings in harmony with the true song of the universe, the language of creation flowing from parted lips as easily as normal speech...
    I think this would work the best, since (A) the bard and truenamer fit very nicely together fluff-wise and (B) a truenamer/anything really needs some extra oomph.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Definitely Twilight Lyrist, I love it :D

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

I just had an interesting idea for a PrC, and before I develop it further I'd better check something: Is it possible to do a PrC for more than two classes, specifically psion/wilder/soulknife?

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

14. - Top - End - #434

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    I just had an interesting idea for a PrC, and before I develop it further I'd better check something: Is it possible to do a PrC for more than two classes, specifically psion/wilder/soulknife?
    Go for it, PairO'Dice. I was debating a three-class hybrid myself, but...well...I had enough ideas with just the Bard.

Psion/wilder/soulknife though...I'm interested in where you'd go with that, as Wilder and Psion are, in my mind, even more of an overlap than Sorcerer/Wizard, since they don't even have that different casting mechanic. So I'm immensely curious, and want to see the outcome.

I say take the idea and run.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

I say take the idea and run.
    Alrighty then, I'll do that. Let's just hope I don't trip somewhere along the way.

Show

<Snip>

16. - Top - End - #436

Alrighty then, I'll do that. Let's just hope I don't trip somewhere along the way.
    I've seen your work, Dice. You rarely trip. And if you do...well...more votes for me!

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

I've seen your work, Dice. You rarely trip. And if you do...well...more votes for me!
    You managed to come out ahead by a hair in the last one, Djinn, I've got too many ranks in Balance to let you pull that again.

Show

<Snip>

18. - Top - End - #438

You managed to come out ahead by a hair in the last one, Djinn, I've got too many ranks in Balance to let you pull that again.
    *points*

*begins singing*

Unoptimized! Unoptimized! PairO'Dice is unoptimized!

Ranks in balance? Really?

...ahem.

Back on topic, any other thoughts on which I should do? I have two opinions currently, and if nobody else has a say, I'll start to get to work...

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

*points*

*begins singing*

Hey, with my ridiculously prodigious intellect I've got skill points to spare after maxing out all the skills I need; I had to put those ranks somewhere.

...ahem.

Back on topic, any other thoughts on which I should do? I have two opinions currently, and if nobody else has a say, I'll start to get to work...
    I still think you should go with the Eternal Harmonist. While the Twilight Lyrist does sound interesting, that particular combination is a bit...derivative after the last contest, don't you think?

Show

<Snip>

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds busy, but I'm down. I'd see it with a d6 HD, 3/4 BAB, entry of 3 Psion, 1 wilder, 1 or 2 soulknife at that point.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

21. - Top - End - #441

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Sounds busy, but I'm down. I'd see it with a d6 HD, 3/4 BAB, entry of 3 Psion, 1 Wilder, 1 or 2 Soulknife at that point.

-X
    Afraid I must disagree, my good ErrantX. As far as combination classes go, both Wilder and Soulknife bring more abilities to bear by 3rd level, meaning he'd have more to work with. Psion 2-3 gives nothing, but both Wilder 2-3 and Soulknife 2-3 grant new abilities or improvements on existing abilities. Also, if there's any Soulknife mixed in, more HP and a slightly better BaB would be necessary, which more levels of Wilder or Soulknife would provide.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Afraid I must disagree, my good ErrantX. As far as combination classes go, both Wilder and Soulknife bring more abilities to bear by 3rd level, meaning he'd have more to work with. Psion 2-3 gives nothing, but both Wilder 2-3 and Soulknife 2-3 grant new abilities or improvements on existing abilities. Also, if there's any Soulknife mixed in, more HP and a slightly better BaB would be necessary, which more levels of Wilder or Soulknife would provide.
    I disagree with you here, because a Psion by level 3 brings more Powers to bear than one or two class features, as well as a bonus psionic feat. I say 3 psion for 2nd level powers, 1 wilder for the other side of it, and 2 soulknife for throw mind blade (as a possible power delivery mechanism).

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

23. - Top - End - #443

*points*

*begins singing*

<_<
    >_>
    you better never play in one of my games... my players have fallen to their untimely demise more than a few times. Plus, balance is necessary for fighting while running on rooftops... which happens more than you'd think.
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    I disagree with you here, because a Psion by level 3 brings more Powers to bear than one or two class features, as well as a bonus psionic feat. I say 3 psion for 2nd level powers, 1 wilder for the other side of it, and 2 soulknife for throw mind blade (as a possible power delivery mechanism).

-X
    I was actually considering requiring discipline focus, wild surge, and 2nd-level powers, so you could either do psion 3/wilder 1 for faster entry or psion 1/wilder 4 for improved class features.

Show

<Snip>

25. - Top - End - #445
    Orc in the Playground

Most of the entries are shaping up to be psionic, which is an interesting quirk.

I like the Soul Tinker, presuming you meant Artificer, not Bard. I liked the idea of the Dirgesinger, so i'd also like to see where Choirmaster of the Voiceless takes things.

My Psychic Tempest is going well, I think. Currently it advances Wild Surge and Surging Euphoria a little slower than wilder, but I'm considering accelerating Surging Euphoria. Is this a bad idea?

On a more random note, a binder/incarnum class that invests essentia into their vestige binds would be interesting to see.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

On a more random note, a binder/incarnum class that invests essentia into their vestige binds would be interesting to see.
    ...dammit. Now I'm torn; I do so love binding and incarnum, but I have a cool psionic idea. Decisions, decisions....

Show

<Snip>

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Bump for great justice.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

28. - Top - End - #448

I like the Soul Tinker, presuming you meant Artificer, not Bard. .
    I thought that too, and if no-one else does it, I want to do it so badly.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

29. - Top - End - #449

Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    I thought that too, and if no-one else does it, I want to do it so badly.
    I think I might be picking that one up, actually. My Madspark Eccentric has inspired me to try some unusual hybrids, and Artificer/Incarnate is a pretty obscure one.

'Course, using a less well known class could hurt my chances at winning this thing, but the fun of figuring out how to do it is more important, in my mind.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

30. - Top - End - #450

I think I might be picking that one up, actually. My Madspark Eccentric has inspired me to try some unusual hybrids, and Artificer/Incarnate is a pretty obscure one.
    Curses! Ah well, I guess it just means you'll get my support when the vote rolls around. So long as they can apply Infusions to soulmelds, that is.

Well... I want to do something, I haven't been in any of these contests since "Draw, Partner!" Whatever number that was. Someone give me two random base classes, I'll see what I can do.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!