Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread

Thanks for the critiques! I've made the following changes.

- Entry Requirements: One maneuver must be at least 3rd level. This prevents early entry.
    - Added Listen & Spot as class skills.
    - Strike without warning changed; target is flat-footed against attack.
    - Reactive Reach & Opportunity Strikes Twice are now class abilities, not stances.
    - changed the capstone to Chasing Opportunity. (Full attack action on attack of oportunity - too powerful?)
    - Stand Still as a bonus feat at 7th level.
    - New Counter-strike at 9th level - bonus damage and foe must make reflex save or be flat-footed for one round.

Regarding the lack of fluff: I know. I've got ideas for it (like expanding on the Lockset Guild I mentioned in the quote), just wanted to hammer out the mechanics first.

Regarding the concept: I can see why it doesn't really feel like a Setting Sun prestige class. I guess that's because it wasn't designed as one. Setting Sun and Dancing Leaf are the two disciplines that fit with the style of fighting I was going for, so I chose those two.

The concept behind the class is similar to the Swiftblade. Where the Swiftblade took Haste and ran with it, I'm using the Combat Reflexes feat as the basis for the Prestige Class. There are four elements of the feat and I designed the abilities of the class to enhance/relate to those elements.

Combat Reflexes:
    1) You make attacks when it isn't your turn
    2) You make more attacks per round.
    3) You make attacks when you're flat-footed
    4) It's an ability that details actions pertaining to attacks of opportunities.

So the abilities either build on those elements or are related to them in some way.

For example, Reactive Reach expands on three of those elements. It allows you to make more attacks because of your extended reach & those attacks are not during your turn because they are attacks of opportunity.

Baffling Combatant ties in by denying the enemy attacks of opportunity. First she learns how to protect herself, then she learns how to protect her allies with Missed Opportunity. Skill Mastery & Accelerated Tumble fit in with this aspect as well.

Later she learns how to cause AoO's in her enemies with Forge Opportunity. Stand Still & Stunning Retort allow her to use her AoO's differently (thanks Djinn).

Opportunity Knocks Twice & Chasing Opportunity tie in with the first two elements, granting her more attacks when it isn't her turn.

So, that's the reasoning behind the abilities. If I sound defensive, I'm totally not. I really appreciate the criticism. I just thought maybe the concept of the class wasn't clear.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

2. - Top - End - #962
    Pixie in the Playground

Phantom's fluff is up, along with a few minor changes to the abilities. Sample encounter to follow... in a while.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, that's a lot of entries so far. I've had a few martial type ideas lately. Including (but not limited to):
    1.) A warrior who absorbs the strength of his vanquished foes.
    2.) Monks who channel the power of the planes, learning to eventually create "bubbles" of planar overlap.
    3.) Some sort of archer-gish who uses magic (or incarnum or whatever) to create his arrows.

I'm leaning towards the archer myself. What do all y'all think?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]They were never infected with the magical substance (drug) called XP. Thousands of adventurers every year are doing the XP. This builds a tolerance where they need more and more just to get their fix called a level.

It is a sad tale. Millions die every year trying to score some by fighting a dragon or in a war.[/COLOR
    Illusio the Gnome

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ogre in the Playground

The arcane archer IS a bit lacking, I could see someone fix him.

EDIT:
    Crap. didn't finish and I have to go back to the base.
    that equals 1 week with no computer.

I'll post my WIP for PEACHing though.

Taunt skill has 2 uses: Goad and Provoke
    Provoke is to cause people to attack you
    Goad is to give them a debuff.
    The level 2 and 4 abilities improve these uses.
    The entire rest is explained in the class.
    Level 8 is still empty. but it will probably be some sort of ability that ease the gaining of style points.

Fluff and level 8 ability are yet to be made.
    level 2 and 4 abilities and the taunt skill I got no time to word properly.

Hope you enjoy this WIP and give me some good points to fix up to next week when I come back to finish it.
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2010-01-02 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

2nded, I'd like to see an archer.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

Follow me on Facebook!

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

Note, I am not experienced at PEACH-ing. I am only going off my gut reaction when I read the class...

Dashing Swordsman: I know it isn't done, but I mostly like what I see. However, I question only getting the style point benefits for 1 round. Style points are limited, and while they can be refreshed, it wouldn't be hard to go through all of them in one encounter. Maybe say the DS gets the benefit for 1+CHA mod rounds?
    Last edited by Kesnit; 2010-01-02 at 03:38 PM.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

7. - Top - End - #967
    Firbolg in the Playground

Edits are incoming!

And I'd definitely be interested in a thread/paper on PrC design. What would you want me to contribute?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

8. - Top - End - #968
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey, this thing right here is kinda neat. I'd enter the Kata Initiate, but it's a bit simple compared to your guys' crazy awesome Melee warriors of doom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #969

Alright, I've made a few changes and clarifications based on the advice of Djinn and Golden. The most significant:

The DC has been lowered on Slice the Mind. Temporary hit points have been removed entirely.

Strike With Naught has had its range lowered to 20 feet from 30.

The save DC on Bite the Soul has been lowered by 5 points.

Wording on The Ripper's Gift has been changed. Because the actions are converted to free actions, you can use it as often as your Cha mod allows.

Wounding has been removed from Consuming Blade.

@Golden-Esque: "Powers" fall under "supernatural effects". So yeah.

Ta-da?

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

10. - Top - End - #970

First two abilities of my class are up...can I get some thoughts on them?

More to come...obviously.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I am going to be creating a PrC soon... and I might as well enter it in this contest (since it fits the theme), right?

Well, the problem is it is going to be a bit anemic as far as fluff goes I think, and I don't want to clutter up the thread with it in case I end up not finishing it on time (as seems quite possible...).

If I post it separately, and get inspired for fluff and an example character, can I then re-post it to this thread?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Hey, this thing right here is kinda neat. I'd enter the Kata Initiate, but it's a bit simple compared to your guys' crazy awesome Melee warriors of doom.
    That's fine. I'm seeing a lot of Monks :P

@DracoDei:

Fluff it up some, and it's fine to enter if it's a martial class. Do as you'd like, so long as the final product is on the contest thread by the deadline! :)

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2010-01-03 at 03:53 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

Follow me on Facebook!

13. - Top - End - #973

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    First two abilities of my class are up...can I get some thoughts on them?

More to come...obviously.
    The first ability looks quite powerful--it's essentially invulnerability + incorporeality + invisibility with the ability to affect others normally. Its power level is absolutely contingent on how often and how long you can use the Ghost Step ability it depends on; I'd have to see the whole Ghost Step description before making the call on that.

The second ability seems to be fine for now, though I'd avoid including any other abilities that trigger off ending Ghost Step.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

14. - Top - End - #974

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    The first ability looks quite powerful--it's essentially invulnerability + incorporeality + invisibility with the ability to affect others normally. Its power level is absolutely contingent on how often and how long you can use the Ghost Step ability it depends on; I'd have to see the whole Ghost Step description before making the call on that.

The second ability seems to be fine for now, though I'd avoid including any other abilities that trigger off ending Ghost Step.
    Ghost Step can be used by spending 1 Ki point, and lasts for a single round. You have a number of Ki points equal to 1/2 your Ninja/Enlightened Master level + your Wisdom modifier.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

15. - Top - End - #975

Ghost Step can be used by spending 1 Ki point, and lasts for a single round. You have a number of Ki points equal to 1/2 your Ninja/Enlightened Master level + your Wisdom modifier.
    Ah, the ninja's Ghost Step, right. Whoops. I don't use the ninja all that much, as you can probably tell. Since it just lasts for a single round, then it should be balanced enough.

Having level/2+Wis uses per day does bring up an additional concern for the second ability, however: It can be spammed very reliably in conjunction with the first ability for plenty of dazing and negative levels. Use Empty Footsteps to become undetectable and invulnerable for a round, use Chakra Flooding on your turn to possibly daze and inflict a negative level, use Empty Footsteps again to get into a different position, use Chakra Flooding again, repeat. It affects only foes, so in a party the Enlightened Master can lock down several enemies for his party to hammer on (if nothing else, it can lock down mooks in a boss fight to let them gang up on the BBEG), and alone he can simply weaken a bunch of enemies until they're weak enough for him to easily handle all of them.

Yes, it uses up ki points like crazy, but using it for even 3-4 rounds in one or two combats a day can make a huge difference in party effectiveness. I'd suggest putting some per-encounter or every-X-round limitation on Chakra Flooding to prevent such abuse, or perhaps move it up a few levels to make it a bit more level-appropriate.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-01-03 at 06:13 PM.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

16. - Top - End - #976

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Yes, it uses up ki points like crazy, but using it for even 3-4 rounds in one or two combats a day can make a huge difference in party effectiveness. I'd suggest putting some per-encounter or every-X-round limitation on Chakra Flooding to prevent such abuse, or perhaps move it up a few levels to make it a bit more level-appropriate.
    Done. Chakra Flooding Resurgence puts a 1-full-round kibosh on all uses of Ghost Step. You can now use Ghost Step + the Resurgence every other round.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

17. - Top - End - #977
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

I put my prc up will be peaching others soon.

Ninja of the golden eclipse
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like the idea of the class, being a ninja that relies on sunlight rather than darkness. I also think the capstone is a really cool ability. Im not sure about what the burning disk ability is FOR though. i dont really have anything against it, but i dont have anything for it. other than that it seems like a really solid class.

Lancer
    Spoiler
    Show
    The idea for the class is simple, which doesnt mean its bad, just simple. A person who uses a polearm with great efficiency. The only real issue I have is its lack of useable abilities. Most of its class features are just statistic bonus's when using a polearm. The abilities you do have though are good imo. The heaven piercing strike is awesome. i can imagine a guy leaping into the air to stab something and then bringing it down with him. Overall i think it could use 1 or two more abilities like heaven piercing strike but everything else is good.

Combat opportunist
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really like the idea of a prc that uses AoO attacks as their primary damage. I honestly dont know anything about maneuvers or stances though so im not sure if im really fit to comment. All of the other abilities are pretty cool and complement eachother very well. a question though. with combat reflex's each AoO attack is considered only one useage even though the abilities make them do more than one attack correct?

Poison Blade-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Im assuming its not finished
    Last edited by Origomar; 2010-01-03 at 08:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #978

Done. Chakra Flooding Resurgence puts a 1-full-round kibosh on all uses of Ghost Step. You can now use Ghost Step + the Resurgence every other round.
    Excellent. Looks good now.

Show

<Snip>

19. - Top - End - #979

Vampiric Blade seems to be recurring as a problem. Here's my idea; cut it out entirely. I'm thinking of axing Trapfinding while I'm at it. However, I'd like to replace both abilities with the following:

Hollow Mind (Su): As her power increases, a Voidblade Eliminator's wants and needs curdle into a relentless, insatiable need, an intense hunger which spurs her forward and sharpens her mind. Starting at [Level X], the Voidblade Eliminator may maintain two seperate instances of her psionic focus. She still acquires, expends, and loses her psionic focus as normal.

Thoughts? Wording changes? What level should I put it at?

My extended homebrew sig

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ogre in the Playground

There needs to be a drawback for Hollow Mind I think, at least by the fluff and strength of it. Perhaps a penalty while holding two psionic foci in their mind? Such as minuses to Concentration and Autohypnosis, as well as any Wisdom or Intelligence based skill check due to brain noise/static?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:

Follow me on Facebook!

21. - Top - End - #981

Alright, let's try this edit:

Hollow Mind (Su): As her power increases, a Voidblade Eliminator's wants and needs curdle into a relentless, insatiable need, an intense hunger which spurs her forward and sharpens her mind. Starting at level, the Voidblade Eliminator may maintain two seperate instances of her psionic focus. Each instance functions as a normal psionic focus for the purposes of feats, class features, et cetera, but the Voidblade Eliminator may only expend both instances in one round on the condition that they are spent to activate abilities gained through this class. Furthermore, as long as the Voidblade Eliminator is maintaining two instances of her psionic focus, she suffers a -3 penalty to all intelligence and wisdom based checks, as well as Concentration; one form of focus is exclusive to others.

My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #982

Sorry for the double post, folks, but I added the following to my "Playing a Voidblade Eliminator" section. Comments appreciated, if you've the time ^_^

Sidebar: Absent Bodies, Empty Minds, Hollow Souls
    Spoiler
    Show
    Make no mistake about it; the Voidblade Eliminators are assassins. They kill spellcasters for fun, profit, revenge, or a host of other reasons, and that's not even taking into account how they choose to use their powers outside of their contracts. However, all of this begins to rapidly pale in comparison to the consequence of their power; the hunger.

Channeling elemental nothingness is not a safe proposition, and the Voidblade Eliminator holds back the all-consuming force with little more than their mind and their determination. They shape it, but it in turn shapes them. At first the changes are purely physical; their bodies burn through their fat reserves at a prodigious rate. They eat more and more without gaining weight, and the food satisfies them less and less. They become emaciated, skin stretched over muscle and bone, with every joint and bone showing underneath. Eventually even the flesh begins to give way, becoming vague, stretched shadows which may or may not conceal a real body beneath them.

However, this physical loss of humanity is nothing compared to the mental and emotional changes. The hunger that a Voidblade Eliminator begins to feel is not a petty desire; it is a need, gnawing and fierce. Without the "sustenance" gained by draining minds and souls, she begins to feel starved and as though she is dying. However, this need is false, and the Eliminator knows it; she will survive without feeding. The question is, can she? The sensations of starvation are painful and wracking, and an Eliminator could be driven mad if she attempted to abstain completely. Indulgence, however, is addicting and it is all too easy to become a roving avatar of hunger, leaving soulless corpses in one's wake and consoling oneself with "need".

The Voidblade Eliminator suffers emotionally as well; the same craving for sustenance pervades her relationships with others. Affection, praise, accolades, attention - these become intense, ever-present needs. Many Eliminators become co-dependant. Others turn abusive, trying to force others to give them what they crave. Depression. bi-polar disorders, suicidal tendencies and chemical addictions of all sorts afflict the Eliminators with sad regularity.

The news isn't all bad. The Voidblade Eliminators are not soulless monstrosities, and they feel love and other emotions just as other beings do. Having companions - especially loving, understanding companions - can aid them greatly in retaining their sanity. Even a flawed touchstone with reality is a touchstone; even a Voidblade who shares an abusive, co-dependant relationship with a fellow living creature can bottom out at a level above "soulless killing machine". The hunger can be denied - they just need a helping hand in doing so.

My extended homebrew sig

23. - Top - End - #983
    Barbarian in the Playground

I LOVE the White Lion Knight. Is it based on Warhammer by chance ?
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I swear, about 50% of what makes BW awesome is the little stuff like that that's applicable to just about any system.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siegel View Post
    I LOVE the White Lion Knight. Is it based on Warhammer by chance ?
    Actually ... yes it is, lol. Very loosely based on the White Lions of Chalice though, as those White Lions are more about killing the animals as a rite of passage, while the White Lion Knight I presented here befriends them as companions :).
    Last edited by Golden-Esque; 2010-01-05 at 07:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Halfling in the Playground

Hello everyone. This will be my first Prestige Class building contest, so I'm just getting my feet wet right now. I've seen a few in the past, and they looked quite interesting, but I actually had an idea for this one. Funny that someone already created a mage-hunter. Ahahaha, oh well.

Anyway, this my submission thus far, The Silver Sword Mageslayer. Critique is appreciated, although I don't have much up right now.

But, yes, good luck to all!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4is111
    Okay, I'm looking at Complete Warrior. Page eight finishes the Hexblade until it stops abruptly 3/4s of the way through. Then pages nine and ten are blank. What are you talking about?

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dersess View Post
    Hello everyone. This will be my first Prestige Class building contest, so I'm just getting my feet wet right now. I've seen a few in the past, and they looked quite interesting, but I actually had an idea for this one. Funny that someone already created a mage-hunter. Ahahaha, oh well.

Anyway, this my submission thus far, The Silver Sword Mageslayer. Critique is appreciated, although I don't have much up right now.

But, yes, good luck to all!
    Welcome to the contest Dersess, it's nice to see more new blood in these! Hope you continue to produce for these contests.

I see that there are few new classes, so I will get to checking those out as soon as I can!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:

Follow me on Facebook!

27. - Top - End - #987

I'm glad to see so many new people! Just remember to finish your entries, folks - don't leave them undone!

For all future reference, folks, I'd appreciate any comments, questions, or criticism you have on the fluff of my PrCs. Any of them. I'll debate, answer, or change as needed ^_^

@Djinn - So...when're we getting contacted on writing that paper?

My extended homebrew sig

28. - Top - End - #988
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Ok my entry is up. Fluff is obviously not done yet, and the wording on the abilities is rough, but other than that the basic PrC is done.

Any thoughts/comments?
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Ok my entry is up. Fluff is obviously not done yet, and the wording on the abilities is rough, but other than that the basic PrC is done.

Any thoughts/comments?
    You should point out if the abilities are (Ex) or (Su) for your class features. It makes a difference depending on what's happening in the combat. I'd tackle that first. Otherwise, looks pretty solid. I'd like to see some more fluff, personally, it's a little bland the way it is.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:

Follow me on Facebook!

30. - Top - End - #990

Somehow I think this contest counts as a success. 13+ completed entries with 25 days still to go? Yeah...

That said, any more comments on those few abilities I have up? I'm curious to know whether or not the track I'm on is an intriguing one...

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions