New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread

Ideas thus far:

Knights of Nirvana are ex-paladins and ex-blackguards that have been consumed by the all-encompassing law of Mechanus. While their power grows ever-greater, spurred on by the clockwork march of eternity, their souls slowly wither and die within them.

The Children of the Mausoleum are considered heretics, evil-doers, and worse. Hunted for espousing the belief that undeath is a natural state, the Children study the dark forces that draw back life from beyond the grave while trying to carve out a niche in the world for both themselves and their rotting wards.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2009-05-19 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #122

The Children seem more interesting to me. I like the idea of a group "fallen from grace" due to the opinions of others, rather than necessarily their own evil deeds.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #123

I kinda like the Children as well. I'm thinking they're a druid/ranger/nature cleric kinda class. I'm still pondering a few things, such as:

- Do I want to make it a casting class? Shapeshifting? Those two things are the CoDZilla's biggest strengths, and I'd hate to expand on them.

- How will their class features relate to undeath? Should they be summoners? Necromancers?

- How will their philosiphy interact with necromancy? Should "nongood" be an alignment requirement? Why are undead "evil" in the first place?

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by realbombchu View Post
    This is my first contest. You say it has to be 100% original content. Does that mean that we can't use abilities that other classes have, but in a new combination? For example, in the previous contest, the Order of the Bow Initiate ability Close Combat Shot seemed an obvious addition to a prestige class, but it's not original.

I think when you say original you mean don't copy other people's work and don't repost stuff you've already submitted for other contests, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
    Certain intrinsic class mechanics can be used without fear (i.e. evasion, mettle, etc etc) but don't single white female blackguard here and I think you'll be okay :P You should do your best to come up with new abilities that fit your class, but if your class would sensibly have Evasion or Uncanny Dodge, then you don't have to call a rose by another name, it's still a rose.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I kinda like the Children as well. I'm thinking they're a druid/ranger/nature cleric kinda class. I'm still pondering a few things, such as:

- Do I want to make it a casting class? Shapeshifting? Those two things are the CoDZilla's biggest strengths, and I'd hate to expand on them.

- How will their class features relate to undeath? Should they be summoners? Necromancers?

- How will their philosiphy interact with necromancy? Should "nongood" be an alignment requirement? Why are undead "evil" in the first place?
    I'd make them heavily druid based, and perhaps give them a spellcasting progression like Blighters (Complete Divine). They get all 9 spell levels but a quicker, smaller progression with limited spells. Give them lots of necromancy spells (hit the PHB, Complete Divine and Libris Mortis hard on that one) and go to town. Just make sure you don't lose the druid feel of them. I'm whole-heartedly supporting you making the Children.

I <3 dark druids.

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2009-05-19 at 12:46 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

Now this is an idea I can wholly get behind. I think I'll be joining in on this one, if I figure out how to properly balance the class.

But to say the least, it's an unconventional one: A Fallen Healer. :3

7. - Top - End - #127

First draft of the Sybil of the Blinded Eye is now posted. A Diviner and Oracle who has foretold terrible things and, corrupted with visions of a horrible future, has blinded herself to escape them. When even this fails, the Sybil turns these visions upon those around her, desperate to escape the future she cannot help but see.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

The Sybil sounds very cool fluff wise... but I haven't actually read it yet...

The knights of Nirvana need to get made, but at the same time don't seem to be very interesting... would really need to flesh out the "inner death of self" angle to give it bite for the feel of the characters.

Children of the Mausoleum would be the most daring, and thus probably the best, if it required a GOOD alignment...Note that in such a case it would be an interesting option to have them consider mindless undead, ones that change alignment, and to a lesser extent ones with a "hunger" that can only be sated by harming sentient to be violations of undead... give them the ability to grant free will, breaking all Command undead, bloodline command (IE being under control of undead that created them) and magical compulsion on undead in lieu of standard Turn/Rebuke, and you might be on to something interesting... they come surrounded by slightly timid free-willed skeletons who serve out of gratitude for being released from slavery... they skeletons might or might not be willing to fight for them, but who needs a Bag of Holding when you have 10 tireless back(bone)s to do the heavy lifting for you? One way would be to basically have them grant/convert pre-exist class levels that had/returned to the undead they work with into levels of Emaciated Spawn*?

I have only heard of this PrC so I might have the name wrong... could be EMANCIPATED Spawn...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-05-19 at 07:30 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

9. - Top - End - #129

Emancipated Spawn is it. The other would mean "starved and skinny spawn," rather than "free spawn."

Although that would be rather entertaining...

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I like the idea behind the Sibyl, Djinn, and I think the abilities fit well. I am, however, worried about the power level. Those abilities look pretty strong and the class retains full casting. I think it might be too powerful. Make sure it's balanced and it will be a great class!

I'm going to try to enter as well, I'm trying to decide between ideas. I'll either do:

a barbarian turned monk who has learned to tap into the power of thier emotions like they used to, except instead of letting them run wild, the will be more controlled.

or the Forsaken of Pelor, clerics or paladins who revered the sun god but became vampires. Now they seek to restore their lost connection to the sun.

Right now I'm leaning towards the forsaken. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a great first entry and a great start on your class Djinn. Few things I'd like to start out with:

Your gaze attack for Mirror of Misfortune is... terrifying. 1d4 drain to three mental stats? That's... devastating. At 8th level (cleric 7/Sybil of the Blinded Eye 1) you can permanently handicap spellcasters. I'd save that for a higher level ability if you want it to be drain or change it to damage (which is what I'm hoping you meant) which can be healed by restoration effects. Still potent enough to handicap a caster, but not a permanent drain ability at 8th level. I think all of your Mirror abilities should be changed to damage instead of drain, personally.

Gates of the Mind is good, love Visions Held Back, priceless. None Escape Time is difficult, as it basically is a unstoppable force against an immovable object. Not sure how to think on it. Haunting Torment and Forgotten Futures are just rough to be on the other side of. HT is fine as drain though.

Gates of the Soul is a great high end ability, and will be a godsend in epic levels (which, could prove that it's a bit stronger than it should be, I'm not good at epic level things).

All in all, I really like the idea and angles of it, I just think that that some of the abilities are just a little too potent, especially with full spellcasting and a d8HD. You may want to tone it down a bit, or stamp a big NPC label on it.

My 2 cents,
    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Redikalus View Post
    or the Forsaken of Pelor, clerics or paladins who revered the sun god but became vampires. Now they seek to restore their lost connection to the sun.

Right now I'm leaning towards the forsaken. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions.
    Ooooo do that! That's totally in the spirit of what I was aiming at for this contest :D

I like the barbarian monk thing, but definitely like the Forsaken of Pelor more.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

I've got two ideas so far...

First are the Drifting Petal Knights (or some better name I come up with later on). They're knights or samurai who have seen corruption in mortal lords, and pursued paths of higher righteousness. While not fallen-from-grace per se, their vague ideals often cause conflict with others, especially their ex-lieges.

Second idea is the Anima Sage, monks who seek perfection through a fusion of ki and magic. They use a taboo ritual to turn their bodies into a source of magic, instead of developing it "purely" in the traditional monk way.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I’m almost finished with the mechanics of a paladin who became LN and embraces his lawful side to fight chaotic creatures instead of evil ones. I’ll post it up here when I finish with the rules.
    Don't make me use my moon powers on you!

Life's not about going with or against the current, it's about tossing you arms up in the air and running in circles while screaming ~weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!~

Spoiler
    Show
    pirate=Tetra
    Tetra=chibi Zelda
    chibi Zelda=adult Zelda
    adult Zelda=Sheik
    Sheik=ninja
    Therefore, pirate=ninja

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeskChairLamp View Post
    I've got two ideas so far...

First are the Drifting Petal Knights (or some better name I come up with later on). They're knights or samurai who have seen corruption in mortal lords, and pursued paths of higher righteousness. While not fallen-from-grace per se, their vague ideals often cause conflict with others, especially their ex-lieges.

Second idea is the Anima Sage, monks who seek perfection through a fusion of ki and magic. They use a taboo ritual to turn their bodies into a source of magic, instead of developing it "purely" in the traditional monk way.
    I like the idea of the Drifting Petal Knights, but I'm really quite curious as to what this taboo ritual would be that would be a violation of the monk's way? Infernal pact? Chaos infusion?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Your gaze attack for Mirror of Misfortune is... terrifying. 1d4 drain to three mental stats? That's... devastating. At 8th level (cleric 7/Sybil of the Blinded Eye 1) you can permanently handicap spellcasters. I'd save that for a higher level ability if you want it to be drain or change it to damage (which is what I'm hoping you meant) which can be healed by restoration effects. Still potent enough to handicap a caster, but not a permanent drain ability at 8th level. I think all of your Mirror abilities should be changed to damage instead of drain, personally.
    You are incorrect. Restoration, Lesser does nothing for Drain, but Restoration has the following clause:
    Restoration cures all temporary ability damage, and it restores all points permanently drained from a single ability score (your choice if more than one is drained).
    Since Restoration is 4th level, that means that most parties should be able to cast it themselves, or at the least, hire it cast when they get back to a big enough city. The second should only be an issue if the Sybil is a major opponent.
    Restoration, Greater cures all ability drain.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-05-20 at 02:52 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #137

I got this idea and I HAD to roll with it.

Hopefully it gives you a chuckle or four.

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    All drain changed to damage, except for Mirror of Fate, which is already such a "You're F-ed!" ability that I don't think it matters. Also, permanent damage fits the flavor of that ability.

None Escape Time is difficult, as it basically is a unstoppable force against an immovable object. Not sure how to think on it. Haunting Torment and Forgotten Futures are just rough to be on the other side of. HT is fine as drain though.
    None Escape Time is really only there to avoid the problem Fear or Mind-affecting builds run into at higher levels: almost everything is immune. I don't like the unstoppable force/immovable object solution either, but it's something I need to consider to make the class function. Although it might be okay without it...

All in all, I really like the idea and angles of it, I just think that that some of the abilities are just a little too potent, especially with full spellcasting and a d8HD. You may want to tone it down a bit, or stamp a big NPC label on it.
    Damage dropped to Drain, Hit Die dropped to d6, and it loses a caster level at 1st, 5th, and 9th. That should cover that angle of it.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

While I like the idea of a fallen Bard, but the direction you have taken with it seems too corney for a serious game, and not funny enough for a silly one...

It seems perhaps overpowered... what are they loosing compared to a straight bard?

Also, without recording devices, "Lawsuit" seems at least slightly limited... what is it? If someone has listened to your songs a lot and starts singing them you can sue them and everyone who actively listens to them?

P.S.: Djinn-in-Tonic, did you see my previous post about why the reasoning against Drain was flawed?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-05-20 at 02:54 AM.
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    While I like the idea of a fallen Bard, but the direction you have taken with it seems too corney for a serious game, and not funny enough for a silly one...
    ... It's pretty corny, yeah. That's kind of the point, but not all of it. A bitter and cynical kind of humour, you know?

It seems perhaps overpowered... what are they loosing compared to a straight bard?
    You know, I didn't even consider that. I am used to making base classes and not prestige classes, and the few times I have done prestige classes it was on things fairly lush with class features.

I'll go give it a comb over tomorrow, I was in a weird mood tonight. I'm thinking I'll reduce some caster levels and take off the bard song acquisitions, but I'll look at it more in-depth later. Might just go totally rework the spell list.

Also, without recording devices, "Lawsuit" seems at least slightly limited... what is it? If someone has listened to your songs a lot and starts singing them you can sue them and everyone who actively listens to them?
    Magic! Cover bands! Unofficial merch! It really wasn't set up for traditional Heroic Fantasy. More a way for me to say 'Screw you, Metallica', except I kind of ground that joke into the dirt. I'll work it up tomorrow.
    Last edited by TSED; 2009-05-20 at 03:21 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Now this contests idea is something I can sink my teeth into. Lets hope I have the time to get something done...
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

22. - Top - End - #142
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've put in my entry, the partitioned mind. This is a wilder who has forsaken the emotional and uncontrollable nature of her powers and sealed all of her emotions into a corner of her mind far from her conscious thoughts.
    Last edited by Kellus; 2009-05-20 at 05:10 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

For clarity I recommend that each place you have "If your mind ever lapses, you lose access to this ability." you add the clause "until you successfully repartition your mind." since just taking damage would be a really weak-sauce way to permanently loose a bunch of class features, and I REALLY don't think you meant it that way... I could check the crunch for "divided mind" but I am pretty tired right now, so I won't.
    Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX
    I'd make them heavily druid based, and perhaps give them a spellcasting progression like Blighters (Complete Divine). They get all 9 spell levels but a quicker, smaller progression with limited spells. Give them lots of necromancy spells (hit the PHB, Complete Divine and Libris Mortis hard on that one) and go to town. Just make sure you don't lose the druid feel of them. I'm whole-heartedly supporting you making the Children.
    I'm axing the spells, but see class features later.

I <3 dark druids.
    I don't; I think that Blighters were overdone and completely cliche. I've been growing more and more irritated with the black-and-white nature of D&D morality lately, and I think it's time to play around with those delicious gray areas.

My extended homebrew sig

25. - Top - End - #145

...and I think it's time to play around with those delicious gray areas.
    GOOD. It's always more fun to dabble in ambiguity. I await the result with interest.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

26. - Top - End - #146

I loved your class, Gid, but I do have a question - why Dorian? Who was Dorian, exactly, anyway?

My extended homebrew sig

27. - Top - End - #147

I loved your class, Gid, but I do have a question - why Dorian? Who was Dorian, exactly, anyway?
    Dorian? Dorian has become my default Seer-type name. Exactly what he is/was is fluid, depending on the setting of the game and my mood at the time. There are many Dorians. Kind of like you and some of your characters.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

28. - Top - End - #148
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    For clarity I recommend that each place you have "If your mind ever lapses, you lose access to this ability." you add the clause "until you successfully repartition your mind." since just taking damage would be a really weak-sauce way to permanently loose a bunch of class features, and I REALLY don't think you meant it that way... I could check the crunch for "divided mind" but I am pretty tired right now, so I won't.
    Good catch, and fixed.

29. - Top - End - #149

My creation, the Children of the Mausoleum are mechanically complete and ready to be PEACHed. Have at it!

My extended homebrew sig

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

My creation, the Children of the Mausoleum are mechanically complete and ready to be PEACHed. Have at it!
    Okay, first off: Wow. This is probably one the best works I've seen you put out, and I've been a fan of your works for a while. This is just incredibly good. The fluff of the class and it's abilities (please please please fill in the rest of the fluff! :D) are quite awesome. The way you're utilizing it's spell progression is quite elegant actually, I approve wholeheartedly. Just a few comments:

One: You misspelled neutral for the alignment requirement. I would also add Spell Focus (necromancy) as a feat requirement. It's not like they're not going to want it anyhow.
    Two: You should give them all of the Summon Undead spells (which are conjuration spells) for the spell lists as well as allowing them to spontaneously channel those (just like if they were using summon nature's ally). You may want to mention that it does not in anyway continue to advance the druid class's spell list with advancement, just uses the spells per day chart. Or if I'm wrong in my assumption, make mention that they do continue to have access to the druid spell list.
    Three: Your Call the Void ability looks unfinished, you seemed to have trailed off.
    Four: Call the Ancients should be split into two abilities (can totally have them the same level if ya want). I'd suggest building the create undead ability as an advancement of the Call the Grave-Born ability (i.e. at 9th level the ability improves to create undead instead of just animate dead) and using the twin auras ability as it's own class feature. That way you still get both, but it doesn't look like the twin auras were just tacked on to the ability.
    Five: Your capstone, Life and Death, when it raises someone with the undead type, do they become any specific sort of undead (or could they?) or do they simply change types and get all the goods and bads associated with it? Perhaps they gain the gravetouched ghoul template or the vampire template? Necropolitan? Otherwise, it's great.

I can't tell you how much I love the Haunting ability, Grave-woods, Bone Vines, Bone Orchards, etc. That's just awesome stuff man. I love love love it. I'm definitely putting this in your top 5 best works (in my mind). Great job!

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2009-05-20 at 09:07 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits: