New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Worst PrC EVAR contest (accepting nominations)

Thats right Nominate the worst PrCs in the game for special recognition

Rules of nonimation -
    -No truenammer PrCs, their issues are with their system, not the PrCs themselves.
    -Published by WotC
    -Must be mechanically bad, Good yard stick, would you rather take an odd lvl in fighter or another lvl in this.
    -If it is a good dip, it doesn't really qualify, looking for PrCs that are just terrible from 1-10.

First Nominee
    Witch Slayer - melee PrC that if focused on fighting binders and possessed creatures, Blech
    Last edited by Darth Stabber; 2009-04-08 at 09:18 AM.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Worst PrC EVAR contest (accepting nominations)

From the top of my head:

Tempest - Screwing a TWFer even more? Rather keep taking Fighter for the feats.

Arcane Archer & Dragon Disciple - No caster progression? Really?

Shining Blade of Heironeous - Rather keep the sluggish paladin spell progression than spend 5 levels to light my beatstick 3x/day.

Rainbow Servant - Standard Sorcerer entry, following the FAQ recommendation of keeping it 6/10, sucks beyond measure. You give up four caster levels of your already slowed down progression to get some domains and the hability to add a few cleric spells to your list? Please.
    In two seconds I will hit the ground
    A moment stretched out over years
    And my eyes will flicker and then something has changed
    An empty cage, a crimson bud, a street of blood
    A city rose sprung out to greet the rain

PoS: Enter Rain

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Are we only doing worst as in weak?

Otherwise I vote Radiant Servant of Pelor simply because if you have the prerequisites, there is never a reason to not take it. It's just Cleric... with more. You lose nothing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Greenstone Adept. Because hey, who needs a con score anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by FinalJustice View Post
    Rainbow Servant - Standard Sorcerer entry,
    You're not supposed to enter it as a sorcerer. It becomes pretty interesting when played with a Beguiler or Warmage. You mention "a few cleric spells" but that statement overlooks that you get all cleric spells.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baalthazaq View Post
    Otherwise I vote Radiant Servant of Pelor simply because if you have the prerequisites, there is never a reason to not take it. It's just Cleric... with more. You lose nothing.
    Actually RSoP has a d6 hit die as opposed to d8, now this means very little, but strictly speaking you lose an average of 1hp per lvl.

Okay, so still no compelling reason not to take it. The reason that I think it got printed was to give people a reason to make clerics of pelor, because before that class saw print I never saw anyone pick pelor as a diety, not even NG characters with nothing divine on their sheet except the deity blank. Pelor is supposed to be one of the major gods for humans, so they printed a fairly buff PrC to give him the edge he needed to get back his flock.

And yes the point is to nominate mechanically bad PrCs.
    Last edited by Darth Stabber; 2009-04-08 at 09:44 AM.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

6. - Top - End - #6

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    You're not supposed to enter it as a sorcerer. It becomes pretty interesting when played with a Beguiler or Warmage. You mention "a few cleric spells" but that statement overlooks that you get all cleric spells.
    Yeah, I am aware of the potential of the RS. What I was referring to was entering it as a regular Sorcerer, so that you can pick up cleric spells (and swap to cleric spells) at a loss of four caster levels. I have the feeling that the standard Sorcerer entry is the actual intention of the class, rather than the whole 'spontaneous casting all the Cleric spell list' of Beguiler or Warmage entry.

Edit: Ninja'd, adding quote for better clarity.
    Last edited by FinalJustice; 2009-04-08 at 09:48 AM.
    In two seconds I will hit the ground
    A moment stretched out over years
    And my eyes will flicker and then something has changed
    An empty cage, a crimson bud, a street of blood
    A city rose sprung out to greet the rain

PoS: Enter Rain

7. - Top - End - #7

Cancer Mage, not necessarily because of mechanics (I never played it), but because the name is misleading. It's not a spellcaster who gives people cancer, it's a filthy hobo with some once-per-days that can be done better with magic.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

entropomancer still has a special place in my heart: give up 5 caster levels in exchange for doing 7d6 of damage and controling a specific artifact if you find one?

Please.

Otherwise, what is so bad with a tempest? No penalty to hit with two weapons, you get a few bonuses to AC, weapon feats apply to both weapons, tw-spring attack. It synergises amazingly well in a fighter8-exoticweaponmaster2- revenant blade 5- tempest 5 build. suuuuuure you need to be an elf....
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Baalthazaq View Post
    Are we only doing worst as in weak?

Planar Shepard.
    Sig'd

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm going to have to second that nomination.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    Witch Slayer - melee PrC that if focused on fighting binders and possessed creatures, Blech
    I'd just like to speak up of for the Witchslayer. Its smite might be situational, but that's not its only class feature. Slippery Mind and Mettle are decent, but its capstone is what really seals it for me. Once every five rounds, block a creature's Supernatural, Spell Like and Spellcasting abilities for 1 round as a swift action. The DC's not bad either, 20+Cha at level 10. If you're up against something that depends on magic and this lands (and even if it didn't, it was just a swift action), then 1 round is really all it takes.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2009-04-08 at 10:07 AM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Witch Slayer is not really bad.

Witchborn Binder (MoI), on the other hand. Is terrible.

Incarnum Blades also add nothing to your character.

Green Star Adept is also bad in ways that shouldn't exist (You not only are losing your constitution score, you are also reducing your dexterity score)

But ever since I read the Necromancer Handbook in Wizard's forum I have special spite reserved for the Yathrinshee, possibly the worst dual caster ever made (if it can be called a dual caster).
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

My favorite is Survivor, from Savage Species - Sure, you get Improved Evasions, Improved Uncanny Dodge, DR 5/-, and all good saves for 5 levels, but you also get no spell progression, 0 BAB, a d6 HD (which kinda defeats the purpose.) and you don't even get to add any new class skills to your list (and have the lovely 2+Int/level anyway.)

The only thing I could see as fun with this class is a Commoner 1/Surviver 5, for that Commoner that just doesn't die.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

True Necromancer. I want to stab whoever created it in the eye with a FORK. Mystic Theurge should never be a better option.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The Greenstone Adept is humungously bad. You lose Con, Dex, spellcasting progression... you gain... a pleasing viridian hue?

I also think the Fochlucan Lyrist is pretty dreadful. You have to multiclass egregiously to qualify for it (bard/rogue/druid, right?) and then you gain... nothing you couldn't have gained better by staying in whatever class you were focussing on.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Undead Hunter was pretty bad, if I remember right... No insentive at all about killing undeads...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    The Greenstone Adept is humungously bad. You lose Con, Dex, spellcasting progression... you gain... a pleasing viridian hue?

I also think the Fochlucan Lyrist is pretty dreadful. You have to multiclass egregiously to qualify for it (bard/rogue/druid, right?) and then you gain... nothing you couldn't have gained better by staying in whatever class you were focussing on.
    That was going to be my vote if it was for mechanically bad, Fochlucan.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Exotic Weapon Master from 3.0's Master's of the Wild.

Requirements: +7 BAB, 3 exotic weapon proficiencies
    What you gain over 5 levels:
    Proficiency with all exotic weapons
    The ability to craft an improvised melee or thrown weapon that you take no penalties with, that does 2d6 damage.
    Full BAB

These abilities are gains slowly. So when you are tenth level in this class, you get the ability to sit down for an hour and fashion an improvised throwing weapon out of twigs and rocks.

The sheer inanity of this class is overwhelming. Compare that to the Hexer in the same book, which has full divine progression, full BAB, and a bunch of uses of eyebite like effects.

What the hell is wrong with the people publishing these books?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Exotic Weapon Master from 3.0's Master's of the Wild.

Requirements: +7 BAB, 3 exotic weapon proficiencies
    What you gain over 5 levels:
    Proficiency with all exotic weapons
    The ability to craft an improvised melee or thrown weapon that you take no penalties with, that does 2d6 damage.
    Full BAB

These abilities are gains slowly. So when you are tenth level in this class, you get the ability to sit down for an hour and fashion an improvised throwing weapon out of twigs and rocks.

The sheer inanity of this class is overwhelming. Compare that to the Hexer in the same book, which has full divine progression, full BAB, and a bunch of uses of eyebite like effects.

What the hell is wrong with the people publishing these books?
    That and the Exotic Weapons Master had one of the ugliest drawings showing the PrC in a book full of ugly drawings.

The first attempt at a Bladesinger was horrible. I remember just reading it and saying that is crap. They recovered a little when they re-released in one of the Forgotten Realms books. I don't remember specifics but I think it gave you full BaB and the ability to use a sword while casting. I will have to pull the book out to truly remember how much it sucked.
    Sniper Extraordinaire for Clan Giant (now defunked)

Thanks in order Shades of Gray, LordRod,and rtg0922 for the awesome avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They really made my day!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I've voting for the Yathrinshee and the Greenstar Adept, classes SO bad that Hell itself spat them out and said "DA-YUM!! This **** be FAIL!"

I mean, REALLY, the Yathrinshee is the WORSE dual-progression PrC ever made, and dual-progression is typically terrible to begin with. Greenstar makes you PAY for the privilege of sucking harder than an Oreck vacuum.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-04-08 at 11:22 AM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    My favorite is Survivor, from Savage Species - Sure, you get Improved Evasions, Improved Uncanny Dodge, DR 5/-, and all good saves for 5 levels, but you also get no spell progression, 0 BAB, a d6 HD (which kinda defeats the purpose.) and you don't even get to add any new class skills to your list (and have the lovely 2+Int/level anyway.)

The only thing I could see as fun with this class is a Commoner 1/Surviver 5, for that Commoner that just doesn't die.
    I was also going to say Survivor, but really it's just a gimmick to create a more durable commoner. I can see no reason for anyone to even think about employing one in a game ever. I think the bad PrC crown should go to something that at least looks like a good option initially.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

i vote for Arcane Archer, i personaly find it worse then GTA.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #23

Agreed that Witch Slayer is fine. It gets a lot of bonuses against possessed creatures, and that's pretty darn situational, but the rest of the class is solid enough.

So yeah, here's the tier system for PrCs that I've been putting together this last month. For the lazy, here's the list of the worst PrCs we've covered so far....

Acolyte of the skin
    Apostle of Peace (not broken, but blatantly contradictory text on material possessions)
    Arcane Archer
    Blighter
    Cavestalker (Druid entry)
    Defiant
    Dirgesinger
    Duelist
    Entropomancer
    Evangelist
    Eye of Lolth
    Fochlucan Lyrist (unless Evasion is gained without dips)
    Green Star Adept
    Incarnum Blade
    Insidious Corrupter (Arcane Spellcaster entry)
    Lifedrinker
    Master of the Unseen Hand
    Metamind (higher with abuse of the capstone)
    Mindbender (except for 1 level dips)
    Ollam
    Reaping Mauler
    Spinemeld Warrior
    True Necromancer
    Wavekeeper
    Witchborn Binder
    Wonderworker
    Yathrinshee

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

He said dip classes no count:

Greenstone is a dip class: take a level for some DR/Str/NA: really who finishes it?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Blighter, hands down. You don't get your daily spells unless you destroy a bunch of plants. It even makes a point of saying that places like deserts and ice floes do not count.

Gods forbid you're adventuring in any terrain that doesn't have tons of vegetation around. No caves, dungeons, cities. Nothing from Sandstorm, Frostburn, Underdark or Stormwrack (unless you can get to a ton of seaweed).

And what do you get in return for this huge, possibly campaign-halting sacrifice? Not a whole heck of a lot. You can turn into skeletal animals and talk to dead ones. Yeah, that's right, you can converse with roadkill. Whoop-de-doo.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'm gonna vote again for Shining Blade. Worse than a Soulknife, your primary class feature is "has a weapon". To get it, you have to give up 1/2 casting?!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and its a standard action to activate your weapon, but guess how long it lasts? Not freakin long enough. And...what do you get? A shocking weapon. Shocking isn't really that good. Demons are immune to electricity, and most devils get Resistance5+ at least. Granted, Holy is slightly better, but think about it. If you had continued progressing in Paladin or Cleric, you could spend that same standard action to FREAKIN CAST ALIGN WEAPON, or better yet, Bless Weapon. Maybe if this class had its own fast Paladin progression like Pious Templar, it might be worth it for a general melee class to take, simply because it doesn't have the crappy feat requirements like Pious Templar does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Evangelist all the way, no freaking point at all...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Dwarven Defender. "Oh no, it's a Dwarven Defender! Walk away briskly!"

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    I'm gonna vote again for Shining Blade. Worse than a Soulknife, your primary class feature is "has a weapon". To get it, you have to give up 1/2 casting?!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and its a standard action to activate your weapon, but guess how long it lasts? Not freakin long enough. And...what do you get? A shocking weapon. Shocking isn't really that good. Demons are immune to electricity, and most devils get Resistance5+ at least. Granted, Holy is slightly better, but think about it. If you had continued progressing in Paladin or Cleric, you could spend that same standard action to FREAKIN CAST ALIGN WEAPON, or better yet, Bless Weapon. Maybe if this class had its own fast Paladin progression like Pious Templar, it might be worth it for a general melee class to take, simply because it doesn't have the crappy feat requirements like Pious Templar does.
    You mean those weapon boosts aren't permanent? Even if they were it's on the weak side, but... .wow. I'm AFB, but if that's true then it's definitely a major turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Dwarven Defender. "Oh no, it's a Dwarven Defender! Walk away briskly!"
    Seriously? I mean, the class still gets d12 HD, two good saves (and the two best good saves), a healthy AC bonus that stacks with everything, decent DR (as far as D&D DR is ever decent), and uncanny dodge. And Defensive Stance is still useful any time the Battlefield is at all Controlled, or when you're indoors, or in a dungeon, or on a bridge, or can anticipate a dangerous attack and could use a temporary boost to AC or saves. Also, it's a swift action to assume it and a free action to leave it, so you're not exactly trapped in the spot if the situation changes. Overall I'd say DD is at very least balanced compared to straight fighter, and probably somewhat superior if played well.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

30. - Top - End - #30

Goblin

Dread Witch....
    So they have to cast a fear spell at me so I can.... cast a fear spell at them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?