New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Heighten Spell for Wizards

I've been looking at it, and I just can't figure out practical application for it. I understand its use for sorcerors, when you need to cast a lower level spell, but only have higher slots left, but what's the point of it for a wizard?

I mean you get a slightly better save and all, but why not just memorize a higher level save or suck?
    :Elan:Dirgesinger of the Elan Fanclub :Elan:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Heighten Spell for Wizards

Actually the idea for Sorcerers is that they can continue to use their good low-level spells and gain the benefit of higher save dc's and such without having to use precious spells known on higher-level replacement spells.

For wizards, unless you really want to use Grease or something like that, there is always another spell that is usually better than heightening a low-level one.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, the only wizard builds that really use it are Killer Gnome style Shadowcraft Mages. Then you are really looking to abuse the combination of Earth Spell and Heighten Spell to get spells higher than the spell slot you are using, and to hyper-inflate your caster level.

Again, totally specific useage for a totally specialized build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I just realized you could probably combine Heighten with Chain (one of the two from a rod, most likely) to overcome the -4DC for Chain, if you absolutely needed to. I don't see it as being very worthwhile compared to other metamagics for a wizard, though.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Note that sorcerers don't need it just to use a high-level slot on a low-level spell: You can do that anyway. It's all about the saving throws. The idea is that a sorcerer can learn a single save-or-suck for each of the three saves (such as Web, Glitterdust, and Stinking Cloud), and then cast those in higher-level slots for tougher monsters, saving higher-level spells known for other effects.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It can also be useful for bypassing defensive spells. For example - lesser globe of invulnerability blocks spells that are level 3 and below. Heighten a spell so it's level 4 and it works.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I've read a 3rd party feat that lets your heightened spells scale damage a bit too, but other than that wizards don't use it unless their DM won't let them buy new spells.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I've read a 3rd party feat that lets your heightened spells scale damage a bit too, but other than that wizards don't use it unless their DM won't let them buy new spells.
    Two feats to do something not particularly useful? I think not.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I think if you're trying to go for that sort of effect you're much better off with psionics and picking spells powers with scalable augmentation.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2009-04-08 at 08:57 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Heighten Spell is also useful for Sorcerers with Reserve feats. For example, an 8th-level sorcerer with burning hands and no other Fire spells, but in posession of Heighten Spell still has a 4th-level Fire spell available to cast (heightened burning hands) as long as he has a first level slot. Therefore, he could still trigger a reserve feat that requires a 4th-level Fire spell.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObsidianRose View Post
    I've been looking at it, and I just can't figure out practical application for it. I understand its use for sorcerors, when you need to cast a lower level spell, but only have higher slots left, but what's the point of it for a wizard?

I mean you get a slightly better save and all, but why not just memorize a higher level save or suck?
    Because there are awesome low level spells that have no higher level cousins in Core (easier to find replacements).

Like Glitterdust: can you name another spell like that? Probably not.

Now Grease has Sleet Storm.

Assuming, you wanted to deal damage, there is no better Fireball (Cone of Cone isn't as good).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Because there are awesome low level spells that have no higher level cousins in Core (easier to find replacements).

Like Glitterdust: can you name another spell like that? Probably not.

Now Grease has Sleet Storm.

Assuming, you wanted to deal damage, there is no better Fireball (Cone of Cone isn't as good).
    Delayed Blast Fireball.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, direct damage sucks, so doing direct damage with a slightly higher save really isn't all that impressive.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Except damage type. Fire is the most resisted; cold is pretty safe usually.

But yeah, burning a higher level slot to raise the DC might not always be the best move, but it has its place. This is especially true for anyone with limited spellslots who can't memorize spells for every single situation at every single level, and who might expect to be casting Glitterdust past the level window where its DC actually matters. Burning a higher slot to give the right spell a decent chance of working is not a bad strategy.

Personally, I consider giving Heighten Spell for free. It's basic enough that, really, every decent spellcaster should be able to do it.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Heighten Spell for Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    Heighten Spell is also useful for Sorcerers with Reserve feats. For example, an 8th-level sorcerer with burning hands and no other Fire spells, but in posession of Heighten Spell still has a 4th-level Fire spell available to cast (heightened burning hands) as long as he has a first level slot. Therefore, he could still trigger a reserve feat that requires a 4th-level Fire spell.
    Are you sure about that. It seems like a ...creative?... interpretation of the wording in the Reserve feats.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Are you sure about that. It seems like a ...creative?... interpretation of the wording in the Reserve feats.
    Seems pretty basic too me.

Can you cast a 4th level Fire spell? Yes. Therefore you get 4d6 on your Fiery Burst.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a lesser globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the heightened level.
    Emphasis mine.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Except damage type. Fire is the most resisted; cold is pretty safe usually.
    I dunno about that... A lot of undead resist or are immune to cold. Cold is probably still more useful than fire, since there are a fair number of fire-subtype creatures that will take extra damage, but they're both down at the bottom of preferred damage types. I'd rank them as fire < cold < electricity < acid < sonic < untyped < force.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Empowered Fireball.

Or even better, Empowered Orb of Fire.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

I'd say heighten is useful the way we use it. If anything in the spell description suggests a level appropriate upgrade we give it, but this effect cannot be done more than once.

What do I mean by that?

Limited Wish is a 7th level spell. It duplicates spells of lower level. It might be reasonable to make heighten add 1 to all spell levels it is capable of copying. You basically turn it into a low XP, level 8 equivalent wish, but without allowing it the extra abilities on top. (Wish can ask for anything, this thing's extra asks remain at the same level). This is the most abuse able spell in my opinion.

Similarly with Globe of Invulnerability, which would now block 4th level spells as well.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I'd rank them as fire < cold < electricity < acid < sonic < untyped < force.
    I think you might wanna swap force and untyped there. I know of at least one or two critters with force immunity, but nothing is immune to damage that doesn't have a type. Otherwise, yeah, looks spot on.

Also, Scintillating Sphere is an electric Fireball spell from the Spell Compendium. I ALWAYS take it over Fireball, just because of the damage type.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I think you might wanna swap force and untyped there. I know of at least one or two critters with force immunity, but nothing is immune to damage that doesn't have a type. Otherwise, yeah, looks spot on.
    Ah, but those are rare, pretty much limited to the Force Dragon, which is epic. In the mean time, Force can hit ethereal targets and such.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Well, in the Leman's arms race that is my spell DC as a beguiler, I find the Heighten Spell rather useful.
    Totally getting something nice here, when the time is right that is.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    Ah, but those are rare, pretty much limited to the Force Dragon, which is epic. In the mean time, Force can hit ethereal targets and such.
    Nope! That's another one. I was thinking of the CR 4 Force Golem and the CR variable Pyroclastic Dragon. Both are immune to force, along with the Force Dragon and the Tartarian Dragon, both with variable CRs. Force immunity is SLIGHTLY more common than most people think.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

25. - Top - End - #25

Nope! That's another one. I was thinking of the CR 4 Force Golem and the CR variable Pyroclastic Dragon. Both are immune to force, along with the Force Dragon and the Tartarian Dragon, both with variable CRs. Force immunity is SLIGHTLY more common than most people think.
    But still significantly less common then ethereal enemies.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm having difficulty imagining Cone of Cone without hurting my brain trying to picture a spell with a fractal area of effect.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

I'm gonna side the other way on this one.

Force has no miss chance against incorporeal and ethereal, and not many damage types do that (positive/negative do also, but they each are kinda restrictive).

In this respect, it has an added ability that few other damage types have. Much like Vile damage, actually.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

In addition to what was mentioned, the FAQ hints at this application in a side clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Main 3.5 FAQ
    The reserve feats (Complete Mage) allow you to use their ability as long as you have a spell of a particular type and minimum level prepared. So if I have a maximized fireball prepared, does that mean the Fiery Burst feat deals 6d6 damage since it is now in a 6th-level spell slot?

No. Even though a metamagic feat changes the level of the slot occupied by the spell, it doesn’t actually change the spell’s level (except for the Heighten Spell feat, or any other effect that specifically changes the spell’s actual level). The reserve feats care about the spell’s actual level, not the spell slot it occupies.
    Heighten Spell actually changes the spell's level. That's why it can be used to overcome a lesser globe of invulnerability or achieve other spell-level-based effects in addition to raising spell DCs. Having a Heightened fireball available for a 6th level spell slot means you have a 6th-level fireball for anything that might require it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I'd rank them as fire < cold < electricity < acid < sonic < untyped < force.
    Force is not a damage type. It's a spell descriptor. Most Force spells do untyped damage. The ability to act upon incorporeal or ethereal beings is a function of all Force spells whether or not they do damage.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    I'm having difficulty imagining Cone of Cone without hurting my brain trying to picture a spell with a fractal area of effect.
    Next epic campaing, I want to craft an epic spell like this. Maybe envolving several energy descriptors.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    It can also be useful for bypassing defensive spells. For example - lesser globe of invulnerability blocks spells that are level 3 and below. Heighten a spell so it's level 4 and it works.
    Or heightened light to overcome any level darkness spell with a cantrip :). The wizard really needs planning to pull it off but it can be done. Though, yeah, the sorc being able to do it on the fly and with more high level spells per day gets more advantage from heighten.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)