New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Monk running accross water alternate class feature

I have a vague memory of an alternate class feature for monks that afforded them a limited ability to run across water, in place of Slow Fall. I can't find out where I saw this and it may have just been somebodies homebrew on this board.

Anyone else remember this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Monk running accross water alternate class feature

In stormwrack I believe, it also had an alternate for underwater campaigns of increased swim speed.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I also think you'll find that many DMs are fine with just giving Monks extra abilities, especially at any of their deadish levels (8, 10, 14, 16, 19).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    I also think you'll find that many DMs are fine with just giving Monks extra abilities, especially at any of their deadish levels (8, 10, 14, 16, 19).
    Yeah - it's not that this will suddenly make them overpowered.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

wait, you mean monks couldn't do this before?

wow, and to think all these years I just make them roll really high balance checks or just outright give it to them for coolness points....

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    wait, you mean monks couldn't do this before?

wow, and to think all these years I just make them roll really high balance checks or just outright give it to them for coolness points....
    Well, I mean, if you go by the epic rules...
    They can... at a DC 90 balance check.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyJohnny View Post
    I have a vague memory of an alternate class feature for monks that afforded them a limited ability to run across water, in place of Slow Fall. I can't find out where I saw this and it may have just been somebodies homebrew on this board.

Anyone else remember this?
    I can't say I remember it myself, and I don't have Stormwrack to check it, but really, Rule of Cool. This isn't exactly a game breaking thing. Keep it simple, you have to move your maximum speed, and be unencumbered. At level 10 you can do it while encumbered, and move half your maximum speed. As a DM I'd just give that to you.
    Custom Avatar courtesy of Beholder1995!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Considering what monks get... yeah, I'd say this is a pretty reasonable addition to a monk's abilities. I'd give it at level 8, but rule you have to run the whole way though, so no jumping off a ship, ON to the water, THEN running accross it, and if you stop at all you immediately sink and have to swim from there.

At a higher level (say 14), I'd allow it to be used with a normal or double move instead of having to run, and you CAN jump off a ship or something, then move accross water, but you still can't stop completely for more than one action, or else you sink.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Well, I mean, if you go by the epic rules...
    They can... at a DC 90 balance check.
    DC 95 (or DC 90 with a -5 penlty actually) plus you have to make the check for each multiple of your speed you move...
    That's pure RAW though, I'd probably rule that in this case, running means less contact with the water and makes it easier then just standing there...
    But I also think just adding the class feature to monks without making them lose anything is just fine too...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Any mobility skill fits the monk well, since your movement while using any of them is a function of your speed (though sometimes it's halved or quartered).

On the topic of handing out epic skills, you might as well add climbing at full speed, squeezing through a space smaller than you are (escape artist), peform sleight of hand on halflings, swim up waterfalls, stand up as a free action (tumble), wall jump (tumble).

This doesn't apply to monks, but my favorite was teaching animals tricks in 1 minute by adding +100 to the handle animal DC. Remember animals can only know 6 tricks, and new ones replace the old. "You, stabled warhorses, you are no longer trained for combat. From now on you will perform puppy tricks, track, seek, guard, pull heavy loads and fetch on command. <Runs around corner, spies on bewildered knights>."
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-04-10 at 06:01 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

MonkGuy

Just put enough ranks into swim so by the time you're epic level you can literally swim up a waterfall.