New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default [3.5] How good is the Spell Point variant?

I just ran across this variant in Unearthed Arcana, and was wondering (for those who have played a game that used this or have tried it), how is it? It seems like it could be pretty neat, and helps folks streamline the "spell per day" and "spells prepared" thing, but it seems like it makes Wizards and Sorcerers too similar.

I don't know, it looked interesting, and I tried to search through these forums to get some insight into it, but the search function was having none of that. So offer up your experiences or thoughts if you have any, please.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] How good is the Spell Point variant?

It makes Wizards and Clerics even MORE overpowered. Don't do it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you do it...my advice is to reduce the # of spell points you get.

Otherwise, everyone is a caster. :P

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the whole 'versatility for the win' thing just gets more absurd.

Spellcasters suddenly get the option of just spamming their most effective spells til the cows come home. If you like point based spellcasting, reflavor the psionics rules, they're much better.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The thing is, spell points sound like exactly the fluff I want, especially if you use the variant that makes casters fatigued and then exhausted as they cast more. Would just reducing the number of spell points they get by a third or so balance it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think the problem is with the number of points, but the fact that certain spells are a lot stronger than others (even of the same level). And also spells are generally better than powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    The thing is, spell points sound like exactly the fluff I want, especially if you use the variant that makes casters fatigued and then exhausted as they cast more. Would just reducing the number of spell points they get by a third or so balance it?
    More or less, yes.

Still has the inherited balance issues with magic but it is good 'nough. :P

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    Yeah, the whole 'versatility for the win' thing just gets more absurd.

Spellcasters suddenly get the option of just spamming their most effective spells til the cows come home. If you like point based spellcasting, reflavor the psionics rules, they're much better.
    But remember that this is usually a bad idea, and in my opinion is both a misconception about psionics, and a mistake made by new psionic players. Sure you can waste all your points to use your bigger powers a few more times (the equivalent of dumping all your low to mid spells to get a few more uses of your big ones), but that means you burn through your power points really quickly. And if you know what you are doing, or are a bit more creative, you can do a lot more with smarter use of your powers/power points than simply using a lot of pumped up damage powers.

And yes, that spell variant is basically the psionics rules being stripped of their last mechanical difference.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

The thing is, spell points sound like exactly the fluff I want, especially if you use the variant that makes casters fatigued and then exhausted as they cast more.
    That wouldn't really inconvenience Wizards that much.
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by newbDM View Post
    But remember that this is usually a bad idea, and in my opinion is both a misconception about psionics, and a mistake made by new psionic players. Sure you can waste all your points to use your bigger powers a few more times (the equivalent of dumping all your low to mid spells to get a few more uses of your big ones), but that means you burn through your power points really quickly. And if you know what you are doing, or are a bit more creative, you can do a lot more with smarter use of your powers/power points than simply using a lot of pumped up damage powers.

And yes, that spell variant is basically the psionics rules being stripped of their last mechanical difference.
    Of course spellpoints do considerably nerf the aspiring blaster wizard, but who plays those right? So if you want the best use of your spellpoints, you have to go with "proper" use of non-damaging spells.

11. - Top - End - #11

but who plays those right?
    Like 90% of the people.
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Of course spellpoints do considerably nerf the aspiring blaster wizard, but who plays those right?
    A whole bunch of people who either never had the dubious honor of reading TLN's guide or simply don't care?
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-04-11 at 09:44 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    A whole bunch of people who either never had the dubious honor of reading TLN's guide or simply don't care?
    I never played a Blaster Wizard. I also have no clue what TLN's guide is. :P

It is just battlefield control & save or dies are clearly superior to damage...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFellow View Post
    I never played a Blaster Wizard. I also have no clue what TLN's guide is. :P

It is just battlefield control & save or dies are clearly superior to damage...
    And again, a whole bunch of people don't care. Or prefer to defeat enemies with fire rather than clouds. Then again, they probably don't count.
    As for the spell points variant, I've never considered using it, but that's because I like the Vancian casting and don't like point-based magic systems.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-04-11 at 10:21 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Well, a Wizard-10 with an Int of 22 (reasonable at that point, no?) gets 101 spell points. That's.... oh, one spell of each level he can cast for various long-term buffs and utility spells along the way (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th - 25 points), leaving 75 loose points - which works out to eight castings of his highest-level spell, with enough left over for a Gliterdust. If the Wizard fires off two of his highest-level effects each combat, he's got four combats before he runs dry. It gets worse at higher levels. If he's using the lower-level save-or-lose effects (Glitterdust, Web, Stinking Cloud, and such), he can spam a LOT of them (with Web and Glitterdust being 2nd level spells, he can give out some 25 of them if he skips the highest-level spells; with Stinking Cloud being 3rd, he can get fifteen of those off, instead).

Oh yeah, and the Sorcerer only gets one single additional casting of his highest level spell compared to the Wizard. Even if the Wizard never scribes a non-free spell into his spellbook, the Wizard is doing a LOT better than the Sorcerer with this variant.

It makes the Sorcerer redundant, and makes the Wizard much more powerful as long as he stays away from damaging effects, and the DM isn't overly fond of endurance runs.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2009-04-11 at 10:32 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    The only problem with fatigue variant is, that it can be cured with a single spell (like restoration) - hello infinite mana! It's RAW and explicitly stated on SRD. I can't imagine, what were they thinking.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

It does cut down on the narcolepsy a bit, since it's never, "Ok, I know it's only 9 AM, but I already cast Dispell Magic today, so we'll just camp here for eight hours..."

I've never seen a Vancian Wizard not need to "stop for the night" halfway through a game day to prepare the one perfect spell. At least the spell point wizard only has to stop when he's low on overall magic points.

I've always like point based magic systems, and hated Vancian casting.

Fighter: Wow! That was great! Do it again.

Wizard: Sorry. Only prepared it once.

Fighter: You only cast one spell today, and I've seen you do much more powerful stuff. You can't be exhausted.

Wizard. It's not that. I just can't cast that spell again. I could cast a different spell, one that is of no use right now. To cast it again I must prepare it.

Fighter: What do you mean "prepare." You say two words, and sprinkle that dust stuff. You outta dust?

Wizard. No, I'm not "out of dust," I need to refocus my mystical energies by studying my tome of magic.

Fighter: You forget the words? 'Cause I think they sounded like "Aste-Hay"

Wizard: I did not forget. I just need to prepare myself to cast again. You'll just have to wave you pointy metal stick with the benefit of magic this time.

Fighter: ...You are so lucky I only prepared "dope slap" once and already used it on Fumblefingers Traptripper over here.
    Last edited by Mike_G; 2009-04-11 at 11:04 AM.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    I've never seen a Vancian Wizard not need to "stop for the night" halfway through a game day to prepare the one perfect spell. At least the spell point wizard only has to stop when he's low on overall magic points.
    Of course, with spell-point based system, a wizard feels little incentive to cast anything but one perfect spell. Aside from the game looking like a copy of Diablo, of course. And that wizard can somehow only knows how to cast a dozen of spells.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-04-11 at 11:10 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

It does cut down on the narcolepsy a bit, since it's never, "Ok, I know it's only 9 AM, but I already cast Dispell Magic today, so we'll just camp here for eight hours..."

What, you've never seen a wizard take advantage of the "leave a spell slot unprepared" bit they can do? Curious.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I've always like point based magic systems, and hated Vancian casting.

Fighter: Wow! That was great! Do it again.

Wizard: Sorry. Only prepared it once.

Fighter: You only cast one spell today, and I've seen you do much more powerful stuff. You can't be exhausted.

Wizard. It's not that. I just can't cast that spell again. I could cast a different spell, one that is of no use right now. To cast it again I must prepare it.

Fighter: What do you mean "prepare." You say two words, and sprinkle that dust stuff. You outta dust?

Wizard. No, I'm not "out of dust," I need to refocus my mystical energies by studying my tome of magic.

Fighter: You forget the words? 'Cause I think they sounded like "Aste-Hay"

Wizard: I did not forget. I just need to prepare myself to cast again. You'll just have to wave you pointy metal stick with the benefit of magic this time.

Fighter: ...You are so lucky I only prepared "dope slap" once and already used it on Fumblefingers Traptripper over here.
    I believe, but could be wrong, that in Vance's novels, wizards actually pre-cast most of each spell and retain it mostly cast until they use it, at which point they finish casting the spell with the appropriate components.
    I think it's also why by the RAW in AD&D it took something like ten minutes per spell level of each spell to prepare it until it was cast...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantur View Post
    I believe, but could be wrong, that in Vance's novels, wizards actually pre-cast most of each spell and retain it mostly cast until they use it, at which point they finish casting the spell with the appropriate components.
    This is also the case in 3rd edition D&D. It's just that most people ignore it while bashing the system.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Prepared Spell Retention

Once a wizard prepares a spell, it remains in her mind as a nearly cast spell until she uses the prescribed components to complete and trigger it or until she abandons it. Certain other events, such as the effects of magic items or special attacks from monsters, can wipe a prepared spell from a character’s mind.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-04-11 at 11:24 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I was fairly sure it was still the case, just without the x minutes per spell per spell level, but it's been a good few months since I played 3.5, let alone read the descriptions of spell preparation.
    But thanks, quotes are always good
    Even if I really should be working instead of here...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Spell Point Variant is a sloppy attempt to slap the benefits of the Psionics system onto the magic system without doing any real work to make it work right.

Just use real psionics mechanics and re-flavor things (and create new psionic powers that mimic "missing" spells) to make them "magic" instead of "psionics." This is a lot of work, but less work than making the Spell Point Variant for magic actually work right.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

And again, a whole bunch of people don't care. Or prefer to defeat enemies with fire rather than clouds. Then again, they probably don't count.
    As for the spell points variant, I've never considered using it, but that's because I like the Vancian casting and don't like point-based magic systems.

Then they are really bad roleplayers if they are picking a Wizard...

The guy with 18 Int is really going to pick the suboptimal spells?

Really?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    What, you've never seen a wizard take advantage of the "leave a spell slot unprepared" bit they can do? Curious.

Actually, I haven't.

Now, I don't play Wizards, because choosing the daily spell list is as much fun for me as Algebra homework, with the added bonus of being able to choose completely wrong (so, more like picking stocks, I suppose) so I usually play the guys exasperated that we need to stop for eight hours outside every other door in the dungeon. Since we're all AD&D grognards, maybe nobody's used to that option.

Even an empty slot is no use on the fly, though, so I can see why a player would want a spell "loaded and ready."

I kinda hate the Vancian fluff. That is more like playing Magic Cards than any newer edition of D&D. I like the spell point fluff, or the Sorcerer method. You know some spells, you have a finite amount of power, stronger spells cost more power, cast the spells you want until you run dry.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Really?
    Okay, let's get this straight. Are you seriously suggesting that picking the spells you like to use instead of the most optimized ones is bad roleplaying? Seeing how I'm currently playing a wizard with unoptimized spell selection, I find it somewhat insulting.

You know some spells, you have a finite amount of power, stronger spells cost more power, cast the spells you want until you run dry.
    And this way, you end up with a magic system completely identical to dozens of games, both tabletop and computer ones.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-04-11 at 11:51 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Really?
    I'd uh argue the other way. Min/maxing is a better example of bad roleplaying than choosing spells you like.

28. - Top - End - #28

Okay, let's get this straight, okay? Are you seriously suggesting that picking the spells you like to use instead of the most optimized ones is bad roleplaying? Seeing how I'm currently playing a wizard with unoptimized spell selection, I find it somewhat insulting.
    Well, yeah. Because you're saying "The most logical course of action would be for him to cast X, but he'll cast Y instead, because I like Y."

Smacks of metagaming to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Really?
    No, they are bad optimizers.

It's a fantasy game. There no prize for winning. In fact, there is no "winning" as such.

If I want to play a swashbuckling swordsman, that means I don't take the Spiked Chain. If I fantasize about blasting my enemies with fire, I don't take Solid Fog.

When WotC starts paying me for experience point earned, or lingerie models start dating the guy with the most optimal build, instead of rock stars and athletes, I'll worry about optimizing. Until then, I'll worry about paying the character I want.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    I'd uh argue the other way. Min/maxing is a better example of bad roleplaying than choosing spells you like.
    Yeah but Min/Maxing your build from an in character perspective involves levels of dedication to a psychotic lifestyle that make it kind of unbelievable but once you're a wizard in an adventurering band then you know, you know you're jumping into life and death situations on a regular basis. In that sort of environment it makes sense to be as powerful in your selection as is possible, ie you pick the best combos of spells because that's what will minimize your chance of dying horribly. In the face of that it makes sense that you spend a little time contemplating with your genius level int what is the best way to stay alive which is optimized spell choice to some extent at least. If you have a genius fighting for their life with magic missle and flaming sphere it breaks versimilitude quite a lot for me.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.