Level: Wiz/Sor 1
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: Standard Action
    Duration: Instaneous
    Range: Close
    Target: Any one living being
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistence: No
    Life Burn consumes the life energies of the caster and converts them into harmful energies, before using them to attack the target. You may burn up to 2hp/caster level. For every 1 hit point you burn, the target receives one point of damage. If this would kill the caster, the spell damage is resolved normally.
    Material Component: A pinch of salt.

I apologize if this already exists, as always tell me how I can improve it.
    If you have made an avatar for me, do not worry. I have them saved. Your work was not wasted. The reason I am not showing them right now may be because I feel they should be shown off at a better point in time.&&&&Orange Zergling doll by Sneak.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Spell] Kill With Life

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar and The Orange Zergling
    Life Burn
    Necromancy
    Level: Wiz/Sor 2
    Casting Time: Standard Action
    Duration: Instaneous
    Range: Touch
    Target: Any living thing touched
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
    Life Burn consumes the life energies of the caster and converts them into harmful energies, before using them to attack the target. You may burn 2hp/caster level. For every 2hp you burn, the target receives one point of damage. If this would kill the caster, the caster dies and the target takes damage normally. Fort DC 20 to negate.

I apologize if this already exists, as always tell me how I can improve it.
    Maybe you should give the caster an option to choose how many hit points they want to lose.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Hmm, well, I think there would be very few situations where it would be advantageous to burn 2 hp in exchange for one point of damage. Making it an even exchange rate would be better, I think. Or would that make the spell too powerful?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, the point is if you have hit points to lose and the enemy doesnt, you can get rid of excess life to kill them

And I'll reword that, Psionic Devotee. It was meant to be that you could choose how much to burn.
    If you have made an avatar for me, do not worry. I have them saved. Your work was not wasted. The reason I am not showing them right now may be because I feel they should be shown off at a better point in time.&&&&Orange Zergling doll by Sneak.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

It seems weak. You do maximum 1 damage per caster level? And it is touch range? And there is a save? And you must burn your onw hp?

Maybe a lower spell level?

6. - Top - End - #6

SolithKnightGuy

Somebody has been playing a black M:tG deck recently...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

It's a good concept, but far too weak. At low levels you would do more damage with melf's acid arrow without the save or taking damage yourself or having to enter melee.
    Maybe d6 damage per 2 hp?
    DMs don't cheat, they just change the rules.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't" -Margaret Thatcher

"Celebacy is no match for a natural 20!" -RandomNPC

"If you're so goth, where were YOU when we sacked Rome?" -Swordguy

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm... I've never played M:tG, so this is unrelated.

I also see your complaints about it being too weak. Maybe hit points on a 1-for-1 basis? Every point you burn, they get one damage?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Still to weak, because for example scorching ray deals 4d6. Which is average 14 damage at level 3. With your spell you deal 6 damage, and you have to take damage youself. At 1d6 per damage taken it might be more balanced.

And you need a SR entry.

10. - Top - End - #10

I'd say that they only reason to take this spell would be if if bypassed SR.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, this spell would be pretty good if you were a barbarian with a high constitution and a level or 2 of sorceror, this spell could be pretty useful for dispatching high hp, low damage output enemies. or enemies that are tied up with an ally and can't run away.
    Project CUTE:&&http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11543005 05

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

You need 4 levels of sorcerer for level 2 spells, and 4 levels of 1/2 BAB and d4 hitpoints are going to hurt the barbarian. And you have arcane spell failure, and an AoO when you use it. And there is a cap of 2 damage/level on the hps that you can spend.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah. I missed the 2hp/caster level limit, but it could be cast with only 1 level of sorceror. Its a level 1 spell.
    Project CUTE:&&http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11543005 05

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I didn't notice it is a level 1 spell now. It was a level 2 spell.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, I didnt want to post every other post saying I updated it. Is it finally balanced now?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is rather balanced, if you put SR: no. Prehaps make the damage 1d6 per 2 damage taken, to make the damage output equal to Shocking grasp.

And the save seems strange, any reason for not using 10+spell level+stat modifier?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Life Burn
    Necromancy
    Level: Sor/Wiz 1
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Target: 1 living creature
    Saving Throw: Fortitude Half
    Spell Resistance: Yes

A dark, swirling glow envelops your hand as you channel your very life force into power that will soon consume your foe.

Life burn consumes some of the caster's life energy, which it uses to channel a powerful ray of negative energy. You may burn up to 2 hp/caster level (to a maximum of 10 hp) when casting this spell. The ray requires a successful ranged touch attack to hit; if it does, life burn deals 2 points of negative energy damage to its target for every 1 hit point burnt by the caster.
    If the caster takes enough damage to reduce him below 0 hit points to fuel this spell, resolve the spell before he falls unconscious or dies.

Is how I'd word it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edelritter
    Life Burn
    Necromancy
    Saving Throw: Fortitude Half

A dark, swirling glow envelops your hand as you channel your very life force into power that will soon consume your foe.

Life burn consumes some of the caster's life energy, which it uses to channel a powerful ray of negative energy. You may burn up to 2 hp/caster level (to a maximum of 10 hp) when casting this spell. The ray requires a successful ranged touch attack to hit; if it does, life burn deals 2 points of negative energy damage to its target for every 1 hit point burnt by the caster.
    If the caster takes enough damage to reduce him below 0 hit points to fuel this spell, resolve the spell before he falls unconscious or dies.

Is how I'd word it.

That actually doesnt sound too bad. Did I forget the material component? Yeah I did...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Looking at it again, I'd even take out the saving throw, to be honest. Magic missile hits automatically and doesn't allow for a saving throw, and this is getting similar damage (at a faster progression, true) but at great cost.
    Take out the save and it becomes a bit more appealing:

Life Burn
    Necromancy
    Saving Throw: None

--

Hope it works for you. :)

20. - Top - End - #20

It'd be a lot more appealing if if didn't allow spell resistance. It'd give casters something to do against golems.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

this is just a thought...but maybe you could include a dice roll of some sort to decide a minimum HP conversion...then the caster could add points from there, if they chose too
    You hear a small *pop!* as Weeble produces a rainbow-colored mushroom from... well, from somewhere. You couldn\'t really tell. He sniffs the mushroom, then tosses it away. You pick it up because, hey, free mushroom.&& You acquire an item: astral mushroom

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the text you metion a ray and a ranged touch attack, but it is not reflected in the upper part of the spell describetion. Which of the two is right?

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by asromta
    In the text you metion a ray and a ranged touch attack, but it is not reflected in the upper part of the spell describetion. Which of the two is right?
    It is...as a ray.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by asromta
    I was following the description of Scorching Ray for 3.5 wording. It's a ray.

It'd be a lot more appealing if if didn't allow spell resistance. It'd give casters something to do against golems.
    It'd be more appealing to be sure, but it makes no sense to me. You're basically throwing negative energy (my suggested version) or else raw magic at something and it shouldn't apply SR?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Equal life exchange may be 'balanced', but only if other arcane stuff is not.

Also, with only one exception, all positive energy now belongs to Conjuration. The one exception is disrupt undead, and it's that sort of incongruency that makes me so very miffed.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall
    Equal life exchange may be 'balanced', but only if other arcane stuff is not.

Also, with only one exception, all positive energy now belongs to Conjuration. The one exception is disrupt undead, and it's that sort of incongruency that makes me so very miffed.
    You think the spell shouldn't be in Necromancy? Sacrificing your own HP to do negative energy damage sounds pretty necromantic to me. :)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

If it is a ray, it should mention:
    Effect: ray

The scorching ray entry has it too.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

:-/ I didn't really mean it to be a ray, just one of those damaging spells.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar and The Orange Zergling
    :-/ I didn't really mean it to be a ray, just one of those damaging spells.
    Well, feel free to word it up as you prefer. It should have some range (you don't do touch attacks that harm you if you're a wizard, that's just suicidal), so it can be either a spell that hits automatically (a la magic missile), or a ray or a ranged touch attack. The last two are practically the same thing.

Also, true. I missed the Effect: Ray thing.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Erm, I changed the range to Close instead of Touch.