New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default A quick question.

So, i am running a campaign for a couple of friends, but one of them insists on using a two-bladed sword. When we got to enhancing all of our items, the two-bladed sword wielder insisted that when he upgraded the weapon, it included getting both blades upgraded for the price of one.

I beleive that he is wrong, but I was unable to find any backing to my theories in the books. Can anyone tell me who was right, of if there is a certain book that explains this too me?

P.S.
    As a Gm, I know that if he is right, I could just nerf it, but i'd like to avoid doing that. So any help would be appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: A quick question.

Dungeon Master's Guide, page 222.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Masterwork double weapons incur double the masterwork cost to account for each head (+300 gp masterwork cost per head for a total of +600 gp). Double weapons have separate magical bonuses for their different heads. If randomly determined, the second head of a double weapon has the same enhancement bonus as the main head (01-50 on d%), doubling the cost of the bonus, or its enhancement bonus is one less (51-100) and it has no special abilities. All magic weapons are masterwork weapons.
    From the SRD: scroll down until you get to the common weapons table, it's the second footnote.

The cost is double. It's basically like you're wielding two blades that just happen to be connected in the middle. So he'd have to pay for the enhancement to each blade separately.
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thank you. The thread can be locked now.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The information is in the SRD, in the section on creating magic items.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Creating Magic Weapons
    [...]
    Creating magic double-headed weapons is treated as creating two weapons when determining cost, time, XP, and special abilities.
    Also, for future reference, check out the Simple Q&A by RAW thread for simple rules questions - that's what it's for, after all.

EDIT: Dang, that's a lot of ninjas...
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-04-12 at 10:28 AM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium