New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default [4e]tempest dance

me and my friend have a disagreement over tempest dance (MP9). I say that all the attacks can be used on the same person because it doesn't specify any requirements for it's targets. (just a primary target, second target, third target). My arguement is that there is no reason why all these targets can't be the same. My friend thinks that each target has to be different because it says "second target," not the same target.

we tried to ratify this by looking at passing attack (PHB78). but there was still disagreement. tell me how should we interpret Tempest dance?

"the world is not beautiful... Therefore it is." -kino no tabi

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [4e]tempest dance

My sig still applies. WotC didn't suddenly become sane with the release of 4.0.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

But the FAQ isn't making a rule, it's just clarifying one.

If an attack tells you to choose two targets, you must choose two creatures to target. If you only choose 1, then you didn't choose two targets.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    This is really off topic. The guy asked for an answer to his question, not for a debate on whether or not the official WOTC knowledge base is or is not "sane". The only reason why people call CustServ unreliable is because other people on message boards call them unreliable, citing "evidence" that is years old; that's quite a bit of circular reasoning there.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

6. - Top - End - #6
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    I fail to see how that is relevant to this question. Yes, the FAQ is not errata and cannot override actual RAW. In cases where RAW is open to interpretation and contains insufficient hints for RAI, however, the FAQ is the next best source. This is exactly such a case, so the FAQ is relevant.

Though, actually, the flavor text description of the power seems to me to be hinting pretty strongly in favor of the FAQ ruling so I think the FAQ is really just backing up what's already there. Plus, my understanding of English grammar is that labeling something "second" automatically implies that it is different from the "first", and "third" is also automatically different from both first and second.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

If it had stated "You can shift and make this attack again." Then you could attack the same target, but it states "You can shift and make this attack again against a second target." so you must choose another target, so don't use this move when there is only one monster around.

FAQ may not be RAW, but it certainly does clear up a lot of things.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

After seeing a CS response to a request for clarification on rain of blows where they said the maximum number of attacks it granted was 2, I stopped giving them much credence.

I'm sure it is just one or two guys at Customer Service that are screwing up the answers, but they are giving the rest a bad rep.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

You can't blame them, most of the questions are probably badly worded with horrible English and Grammar tagging along making it nigh impossible for them to understand what the **** you are asking, when they finally get a decently typed question they are so confused and flabbergasted they don't know what to do.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

And, Custserv comments aside, I fail to see how the words "second target" could be bona fide interpreted as meaning anything other than "a target other than the first target".
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

There really isn't any room for ambiguity. In 4e WotC has chosen their wording for such things fairly well and is fairly consistent. A second target is not the first target, and they would have said you could attack the same target if it was possible.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

So - whats is stopping me from designating my first target as my second target?
    If, say, he is the only creature that is a valid target?
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    (1) your DM
    (2) the FAQ
    (3) the fact that every power where you can pick the same target twice explicitly states something like "secondary attack: the same or a different target". This is exactly like how every power that can target yourself or an ally specifies something like "target: yourself or an ally". This is because you are not your own ally, and neither is the first target a second target; everything else is just twisting words.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

The fact that "a second target" is not the same as "the target of your second attack".
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Because he wouldn't be a second target, he would still be the first target.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    Second:

1. next after the first; being the ordinal number for two.
    2. being the latter of two equal parts.
    3. next after the first in place, time, or value: the second house from the corner.
    4. next after the first in rank, grade, degree, status, or importance: the second person in the company.
    In a series, the second thing is a different thing to come after the first. If an attack has a secondary target, that means that, by definition, the attack must have at least two targets, ergo the secondary attack which uses a second target must target a different creature then the primary attack.