New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Belkar and the Oracles Prophecy...

The Oracle has stated that "Belkar will draw his last breath, ever, before the end of the year."

This prediction has confused me since I have always thought that Belkar is just too loveable to kill off. (Sure, he may be homicidally psychotic, be we all have personality quirks...)

My thought is, Belkar will be killed off and come back as a vampire or other intelligent undead.

Any thoughts out there?
    "I am a sexy shoeless god of war!!!" --OOTS #439

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Belkar and the Oracles Prophecy...

Belkar will be killed and stay dead.

He's a murdering jerk and no one who knows him will attempt to revive him.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

In b4 flames. [edit: ninja'ed, altough not by flames]

Sorry to dissapoint, but this particular topic has already discussed. And discussed. And discussed.

I think it would be cool for Belkar to become something supernatural, but I'm pretty sure the Giant has something far more surprising up his sleeve.
    Last edited by Comet; 2009-04-03 at 01:12 PM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"Isn't long for this world", however, is somewhat more difficult to wiggle out of than "will draw his last breath".

Perhaps "world" stands for "plane" and Belkar will just die and gain a prestigious position in the Abyss and keep influencing events that way.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    "Isn't long for this world", however, is somewhat more difficult to wiggle out of than "will draw his last breath".
    True... but notice that "will draw his last breath" was done when the Oracle was officially in "trance mode." Don't know if it's significant or not... I'm just saying...
    "I am a sexy shoeless god of war!!!" --OOTS #439

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Belkar will be killed and stay dead.

He's a murdering jerk and no one who knows him will attempt to revive him.
    I would. He's comedy gold!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

We also have "shouldn't bother funding his IRA" and "should savor his next birthday cake", and a couple others.

Don't try to sell Belkar a life insurance policy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    We also have "shouldn't bother funding his IRA" and "should savor his next birthday cake", and a couple others.

Don't try to sell Belkar a life insurance policy.
    I dunno, what if his birthday was before the MoJ activated, and in this economy, funding your IRA would be the least of your worries...
    Besides, the Oracle isn't infallible, Roy should be proof of that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Belkar will become a lich. I have proof.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Maybe the end of the comics year isnt for a long while?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Souju View Post
    Besides, the Oracle isn't infallible, Roy should be proof of that.
    You lost me there.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xartyve2 View Post
    Maybe the end of the comics year isnt for a long while?
    Maybe, but the presumption is the Oracle uses the Southern Calendar, and by that, the date is October-December.

Quote Originally Posted by Souju
    the Oracle isn't infallible,
    One of the Oracle's functions is to provide us with Word of God about the future of the story, which means the Oracle is largely infallible. Any errors he makes distracts from that function.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    Maybe, but the presumption is the Oracle uses the Southern Calendar, and by that, the date is October-December.

One of the Oracle's functions is to provide us with Word of God about the future of the story, which means the Oracle is largely infallible. Any errors he makes distracts from that function.
    He also said he had a memory charm around his valley, and didn't bat an eyelash at simply banishing Roy.
    If he really WAS all-knowing/all-seeing enough to be able to foresee his own deaths, he would also be able to see the potential for getting royally screwed over by any ghosts who come back to get him after their foretold deaths.
    Actually come to think of it, if he truly was infallible, wouldn't he try to be NICER to some customers just to prevent them from coming back with weapons? Or disintegrate spells?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

He also said he had a memory charm around his valley, and didn't bat an eyelash at simply banishing Roy.
    If he really WAS all-knowing/all-seeing enough to be able to foresee his own deaths, he would also be able to see the potential for getting royally screwed over by any ghosts who come back to get him after their foretold deaths.
    Actually come to think of it, if he truly was infallible, wouldn't he try to be NICER to some customers just to prevent them from coming back with weapons? Or disintegrate spells?
    ...but he DID foresee his own deaths. That's why he was able to come back to have more. He probably thought it was worth it to set off Belkar's Mark.

As for Roy, I'm assuming the bypassing of the charm was intentional: either he wants Roy to remember for some reason, or
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roy won't remember anything that happened while he was dead, and the oracle is aware of this.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    ...but he DID foresee his own deaths. That's why he was able to come back to have more. He probably thought it was worth it to set off Belkar's Mark.
    I'm pretty sure that some Inevitable would become annoyed by the Oracle coming back several times and kill him and those guys who keep raising him. The Oracle only sees the outcome, but sometimes the justification is insufficient.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Belkar is going to die, soon. As for being lovable, we're talking someone who only kills fewer people than Xykon does because he's not as powerful, and who is about as indiscriminate in his choice of victim!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    As for being lovable, we're talking someone who only kills fewer people than Xykon does because he's not as powerful, and who is about as indiscriminate in his choice of victim!
    *makes a serious face* You think that psychotic murderers aren't lovable? Man, you're weird.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

He never said Roy wouldn't remember anything after being banished, just that he was banishing him. Maybe he wanted Roy to know about Belkar's mark being activated, knowing that Belkar wouldn't remember the clever ruse the Oracle pulled.

How do we know he doesn't have defenses against ghosts coming after him? In fact, we know exactly the opposite, that he does know when a ghost will show up and makes sure he has a rod of banishment handy. Just because he took the time to make fun of Roy doesn't mean he didn't know he was coming.

The reason he's not nice is because A) They won't remember after leaving the valley that he was rude, or for that matter that they killed him. Roy just happened to be there with Belkar. He still doesn't remember the previous two meetings.
    B) We already know he knows about and plans for any deaths that may occur from customers.
    Last edited by NerfTW; 2009-04-04 at 04:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Realy? You felt the need to make a 5764563'th thread of the same topic?
    ____

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Y'know, maybe... just maybe... the end of the in-comic year will be the end of the strip.

Just a thought...
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

21. - Top - End - #21

I posted this theory elsewhere, but as it is relevant to this thread, I think it's reasonable to present it again.

Belkar will continue to be in the comic after his demise, but NOT as an undead, demonic plant-golem!

Sheesh, some of the theories that crop up about him are so silly!

He will remain in the story partly because he's such an entertaining little creep, and partly because he's going to be in the perfect position to provide us with a view of another unexplored region in the Order of the Stick Universe; Hell.

Belkar will go to Hell upon his death, never to draw another breath, but he will still play an important part in the story, just as Roy is still in the story, despite having been in Heaven for the last few million episodes.

I expect that V will go to Hell at some point, while paying off his/her soul-debt, and have an extra-dimensional side-adventure with the Late Belkar.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Personally, I would have to say that, as far as I'm concerned, only what the Oracle says while in his trance should be taken as true prophecy. Information given outside the trance, though still possibly correct, is not officially part of the prophecy, and should not be treated as such. Therefore, the official prophecy, as I recall, was "Belkar will draw his last breath before the end of the year." or something like that. Any further information as to what this means was given outside of the trance, and therefore could be information he withheld from the official version, it could be conjecture, or it could even be outright lying. The Oracle has no real desire to be helpful, and for Roy, Durkon, and Belkar, he has reasons to want NOT to be helpful. Therefore, I would not count it as fact that everything he said out-of-trance will necessarily come to pass that way.

That being said, I do tend to lean rather more towards the side of "Belkar winding up on some other plane" rather than "Belkar comes back as an undead", but that's just because it seems like it'd be more in keeping with the style of the comic, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if something else happened entirely.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

the Oracle tends to be fairly honest even out of trance "You're running late for a couple of family reunions"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogastreehouse View Post
    He will remain in the story partly because he's such an entertaining little creep, and partly because he's going to be in the perfect position to provide us with a view of another unexplored region in the Order of the Stick Universe; Hell.

Belkar will go to Hell upon his death, never to draw another breath, but he will still play an important part in the story, just as Roy is still in the story, despite having been in Heaven for the last few million episodes.
    Now that does bring up an idea. If Belkar gets sent off to the lower planes, he could interact with our fiends, which gives him several ways to possibly help the party. Attack the fiends at a crucial moment, somehow learn of their plans and warn the party, or...

Quote Originally Posted by Boogastreehouse View Post
    I expect that V will go to Hell at some point, while paying off his/her soul-debt, and have an extra-dimensional side-adventure with the Late Belkar.
    Well, it's possible. But if we are guessing right, the fiends will be acting at a crucial time. The party reaches the gate, and V suddenly changes sides and blasts the party pretty much. Maybe some deal is reached with Redcloak and they start the spellcasting. Anyway, there won't be much time for a side adventure.
    It would more likely be related to the base adventure, as with Not-Nale. V's soul is dumped into some Hell and meets Belkar. The two find some way to interfere with the fiendish plans.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ48
    Personally, I would have to say that, as far as I'm concerned, only what the Oracle says while in his trance should be taken as true prophecy. Information given outside the trance, though still possibly correct, is not officially part of the prophecy, and should not be treated as such.
    So far all the information we have says that the Oracle is about as accurate out of trance as in trance. The trance is merely a way to avoid the memory wash.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I personally believe that the Oracle is right all the time. He just likes to toy with his customers.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

26. - Top - End - #26

I have to agree. We have no reason to think the Oracle has ever outright lied. And he doesn't need to be in trance to see the future.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

He will die as did a psychopath I actually liked (Rorsnarch) Crying tears as he is annihilated, after failing to achieve the one thing that meant anything to him, totally alone, unloved and unremembered.
    And I will laugh. And there will be much rejoicing.
    And then the comic will return to a more interesting character, such as Redcloak.
    QED

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

first off spoiler things that will ruin parts of watchmen for those who have not seen it or not read the book.

second last breath could apply to a lotof things but probably means he will die and stay dead. also silver raptor is right. belkar is comedy gold and even though he's evil I will miss his strange brand of humor. oh and xykon is funny too by the way.

oh and if you think I'm evil for thinking those two are funny. I'm Christian and probably one fo the most tolerant, open minded non judgemental ones out there.

auf wededersehen
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-04-07 at 05:19 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, drawing his last breath, as other people have already said, does not necessarily mean "die". The phrase is just ambiguous enough to allow a plot twist.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that someone, somewhere, at some point said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The oracle said Roy would forget everything the next time he passed through the memory charm. I think that means that at some point, Roy is going to go back to the oracle, and have the charm activate on his way IN rather than on his way OUT.