New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default Insectile Creatures (3.0)

So I was reminded about the Insectile Creature template from Savage Species by the thread that's around at the mo about some guy looking for a +2 LA template. Anyway, I had another look at it and it specifically states that although you get another 4 arms, you don't get any extra attacks. Does this mean that you can't Multiweapon Fight using those extra arms, or am I just being silly? Also, if you can't, what's the point of the extra arms?

Another thing: Wouldn't an Insectile Thri-Keen be weird? I mean, they already are! Having said that, they would be kinda cool with the whole 8 arms thing going on...octupi eat your heart out, I've got 10 limbs!
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Insectile Creatures (3.0)

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    Having said that, they would be kinda cool with the whole 8 arms thing going on...octupi eat your heart out, I've got 10 limbs!
    So do squid.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    Also, if you can't, what's the point of the extra arms?
    Even if you're not allowed to make extra attacks in any way with the arms, there are plenty of nifty things you can use them for.
    Such as dual wielding two handed weapons AND holding a shield.

Also, I believe there is a rule somewhere that states if you put an extra hand on a weapon (above a second), you add another half to your strength bonus. So like, x2 strength damage for three arms, 2.5 for four, etc. You could use the arms for that.

I have no idea where it is- it might be a house rule- but I do recall hearing it somewhere (and using it for a very bizarre anthropomorphic insectile squid character).

4. - Top - End - #4

The MWF chain replaces the TWF chain for Thri-Kreen, and Rangers don't have to meet the prerequisites for their bonus feats. You use your four main arms to wield light crossbows, one arm to reload/deflect, two arms to climb, and you still have one left.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Insectile Thri-kreen sounds and acts very redundantly, that being said, rule of Cool/Funny makes me very interested. Quad greatsword wielding Thri-kreen ranger/barbarian/Fighter Ubercharger FTW
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faleldir View Post
    The MWF chain replaces the TWF chain for Thri-Kreen, and Rangers don't have to meet the prerequisites for their bonus feats. You use your four main arms to wield light crossbows, one arm to reload/deflect, two arms to climb, and you still have one left.
    For flipping the bird, one presumes.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

7. - Top - End - #7

1) the entry about extra attacks means that something with 2 claw attacks still has two claw attacks, not 8.

2) Can you use insectile arms to hold daggers? Yes you can.

3) Multiweapon fighting: "A creature with this feat may fight with a weapon in each hand. It may make one extra attack each round with each weapon."

Not that it doesn't say that you have to be able to attack with the limb beforehand. It just says, you can attack once per hand, if you have the weapons.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    Insectile Thri-kreen sounds and acts very redundantly, that being said, rule of Cool/Funny makes me very interested. Quad greatsword wielding Thri-kreen ranger/barbarian/Fighter Ubercharger FTW
    I'm not so sure about 'acting' redundantly...there's actually very little, if any, overlap between the two. The only bummer is the +4(?) LA in addition to the 2 racial HD. +7 attacks on a full-attack action for a one feat investment (once you've sucked up the LA) isn't too shabby, it has to be said. When it increases to +14 and then +21 with the investment of another 2 feats, you're starting to hit "I need more d20s!" territory!
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Refluff as TK mutant, or TK soldier, or blessed-earthmother TK, or anything fitting well with your setting. Now, no redundancy.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have wondered about this before.

It says "and it gains four more arms."

However it later notes "despite having six arms"

So it is mildly unclear if a TK taking this template has 6 or 8 arms. 6 limbs is the standard for insects...however 4+2 arms then +2 legs makes 8 and is much more spider like.

Well, that is just my rambling, carry on with dreams of 20 attacks with just the MWF tree chain. Goodness knows I thought for a while on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Also, I believe there is a rule somewhere that states if you put an extra hand on a weapon (above a second), you add another half to your strength bonus. So like, x2 strength damage for three arms, 2.5 for four, etc. You could use the arms for that.

I have no idea where it is- it might be a house rule- but I do recall hearing it somewhere (and using it for a very bizarre anthropomorphic insectile squid character).
    That's correct. It's in savage species, and the basis for a truly broken spike chain build I saw (20 ft. reach, damage 2d6+52 without power attack or magic).
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.