New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: DnD via the net

1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default DnD via the net

So, after, well, it must have been two years now, my old DnD group has decided to get back for one or the other game. The problem, however is this: we live in three different countries.
    Therefore, my question is this: what kind of tools are there to play via the net? A normal instant messenger with a conference function would actually be enough, I'd say, but I heard there are better things around, and a dice roller would be handy. (I wouldn't need some kind of battlemap function, all my fights end up being short and without those anyway). I am very much aware of hte possibility to play via forum and have two games running myself, but it's not what we are looking for.

So, what possibilities to play DnD on the net are there?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DnD via the net

I'm a big fan of Gametable and Skype for a map/dice roller and voice chat program, respectively.

I've heard good things about something called Maptools too, but I cannot comment because I never really felt the need to 'upgrade' from Gametable.

Edit: Some people have odd connection/configuration problems with Gametable, but Hamachi does wonders. It's a program that lets you set up a LAN via the internet, or something like that. You can get it here.
    Last edited by ocato; 2009-04-17 at 03:09 PM.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

3. - Top - End - #3

Well, at least one of my players told me he can't get a headset to run, so skype seems out. It would have been my first choice too. I'll have a look at gametable, though. Thanks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

There's a ton of programs for this. I'd use IRC. Darkmyst servers have dice macros set up for you - incredibly easy, and mIRC is free.

Then there's OpenRPG. It's got maps and libraries you can use, but I don't generally feel most of the features are useful or that the complexity over IRC is worth it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

We use gametable with no problems, even though we're in western ny, and our remote players are in chicago and new jersey. I highly recommend it. It does support plain old chat inside of it as well as die rolls, but you might as well use AIM.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I really like both OpenRPG and Gametable. But really, any old software will do. Just a chat room and a random number generator are all you actually need.

Still it's nice to have fun features like minis and macros and "fog of war" effects.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

7. - Top - End - #7

Actually, gametable suits me well enough, I didn't need much besides a chat tool and a dice roller...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've never needed more than AIM; then again, I don't tend to worry about mapping out combat, which might account for it.
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

Rule #1: When in doubt, try to intimidate the army.

"And bring me some tea!" Tuyet avatar by me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

MapTools and Vent work well for my group.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It's good that you have a group that already knew each other in person. Sometimes it's hard to keep groups together over the internet. Were you planning on playing in an IM format only, or in Play by Post, or what? Heh, if you have the money to pick up the tech, you could try a game over videoconference...I wonder if that's ever been done before....