New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Good system for bribery? (3.5)

Does anyone know of or have a good mechanical system for how bribery works?

I could always ad hoc, but if there are such complicated rules for things like craft, then I would imagine there are rules for bribery somewhere.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Good system for bribery? (3.5)

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Diplomacy_(Skill)

There's the basic crap for just general bribes. It could give you something to base bigger and better bribes on, especially since bribes are generally a measurable amount and not just 10GP. Our group generally picks a large enough number that sounds reasonable. It varies depending on what you're trying to get the other person to do.

I'm not sure there's anything more in depth than that link, honestly..
    Oh, you. You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever. - Joker

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katrascythe View Post
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Diplomacy_(Skill)

There's the basic crap for just general bribes. It could give you something to base bigger and better bribes on, especially since bribes are generally a measurable amount and not just 10GP. Our group generally picks a large enough number that sounds reasonable. It varies depending on what you're trying to get the other person to do.

I'm not sure there's anything more in depth than that link, honestly..
    For some reason the link comes up dead - just click the search link and it should come up.

Personally, I prefer to look at the suggested daily wage of the individual, and build off of that. A week's worth of wages is what I'd call a normal bribe; a month's is a good bribe, and 6 months is a very good bribe. If you offer less than a week's wage, then you'd better have a good Intimidate Check to back it up

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Harperfan7 View Post
    if there are such complicated rules for things like craft, then I would imagine there are rules for bribery somewhere.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-04-18 at 05:02 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

If you haven't already checked out Rich's Diplomacy tweak, you should; under this system, bribery can affect the risk/reward judgment. It's vague, but it should be under this system, but it should be for flexibility's sake; I don't need to tell you that a 10 gp bribe means more to a guard than it does to an aristocrat.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I've found the rules Rich made for Diplomacy to work very well. They can be used for bribes as well, since they state how the character changes attitude when bribed. Then just take a diplomacy check.
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    I've found the rules Rich made for Diplomacy to work very well. They can be used for bribes as well, since they state how the character changes attitude when bribed. Then just take a diplomacy check.
    I like Rich's rules as much as the next Playgrounder, but that's not what the OP is asking about - he's looking for a mechanical system for bribery. I take that to mean he wants to figure out a way to appropriately price bribes, not just a way to figure out what modifier a bribery action should garner.

If I am wrong, then yes, you should be using Rich's Diplomacy rules already.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

well, you have the wealth by lvl and the npc wages in the phb I think. There you'll find how much a person earns, and thus how good the deal is.
    Still, you could just charge what you think you can get out of the players hands without the players getting annoyed
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    For some reason the link comes up dead - just click the search link and it should come up.
    You have to add a ")" to the end, it gets removed. The same is true of your own link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    I like Rich's rules as much as the next Playgrounder, but that's not what the OP is asking about - he's looking for a mechanical system for bribery. I take that to mean he wants to figure out a way to appropriately price bribes, not just a way to figure out what modifier a bribery action should garner.
    If at all possible, yes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harperfan7 View Post
    If at all possible, yes.
    So... what do you think of the presented solutions so far?

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Thanks for those, they give a good start, but lack the detail I crave.

Actually, help me with this system here, if you are interested.

Bribery is the rendering of something valuable to get someone to do something they ordinarily wouldn't and is often used in conjunction with diplomacy (or in some instances, bluff or intimidate [or even enchantment]). So, bribery is a diplomacy check where the rendering of valuable whatever gives a bonus to the check, but where the check requires something of value in the first place. You could offer something in between a little X with a lot of diplomacy (as in, high diplomacy bonus) or a lot of X with a little diplomacy. The more of each, the higher the result.

But this is where the presented solutions give out. How do you know how the bribe reciprient will react to being bribed? A lowly city watchmen might accept a bribe, but the royal guard? What are the DC factors for things like that? How do you find a given DC? Also, how much of a bribe is required?

Personally, I think something like DC 10 + half HD + Wis Mod +miscellaneous. The DC should also stand for how much of a minimum bribe is required (but how do we calculate that?). Alignments would be a big factor, like +5 for lawful, +5 for good, -5 for chaotic, -5 for evil, these represent the recipients scruples in general. If you fail by 4 or less, they refuse the bribe, if you fail by 5 or more, they turn you in or the equivalent.

Miscellaneous factors would include unusual alignment mixtures, such as a lawful city watchman guarding the jail cell of a CE murderer against a vigilante - I would think the DC might be a little lower than if he was guarding a LG prisoner against a criminal wanting to kill the prisoner. If the watchman could be spared the blame, a lower DC, if he would be punished harshly, a higher DC. Also, if the bribe is especially wanted, a lower DC, such as if there was a famine and the guard was starving, food would be worth far more than PHB prices and may even provide a bonus.

This needs some help. I would appreciate any.
    Last edited by Harperfan7; 2009-04-19 at 07:42 AM.