New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

eek warforged help (healing immunity)

I am playing a warforged fighter/ ranger/ warforged juggernaut and i cannot decide if i should go to l.v. 3 juggernaut because i will become immune to healing. I have a fighter and a druid in the party.

Is there a way to stop healing immunity?
    Have any of you played a character with healing immunity and how do you deal with it?
    Should i go for a higher ranger or fighter level?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: warforged help (healing immunity)

Spells that grant fast healing aren't affected by healing immunity, so if the druid picks up any of the Vigor(SpC) line of spells, then he can still heal you. For in combat healing you might ask your DM to approve of a variant Belt of Healing, one that instead uses repair magic.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the vigor line of spells (which the druid gets) would still work, since they give fast healing rather than straight hit point recovery.

Edit: damn ninjas...
    Last edited by monty; 2009-04-18 at 01:51 PM.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Healing immunity stops all spells of the Conjuration (Healing) subschool, not just Cure spells. So Vigor wouldn't work, either.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

While you become immune to Heal spells, you will continue to be affected by Repair spells. Unfortunately though, they're Arcane spells only.

If you can persuade your DM to give you access to magic items of the Repair series, you might be able to get by. Otherwise, I suggest finding a way to get Fast Healing (though getting it might be a little difficult, I'm sure between magic items and one level dips in classes you could figure something out).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Have you considered the Combat Form feats from PHBII?

You would need to take two feats. Combat Focus then Combat Vigor. Of course there are prereqs but at least it is an idea.
    My Homebrews

Spoiler
    Show
    What D&D race are you most like?

My Results:

Half - Elf Not quite human and not quite elf you can learn the ways of sword and magic, but are sometimes clouded with human emotions.

Request a Homebrew Requests #169, 170, & 313

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    Spells that grant fast healing aren't affected by healing immunity, so if the druid picks up any of the Vigor(SpC) line of spells, then he can still heal you. For in combat healing you might ask your DM to approve of a variant Belt of Healing, one that instead uses repair magic.
    Vigor is healing subschool and my DM said i would need to do a quest to get the belt of repair (we are allready on a quest and i have just leveled up), but thanks for the help.

8. - Top - End - #8

There are oils of repair, which is basically a healing potion only it repairs instead. Exact same function only for constructs. That might work to tide you over until you can get something else.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xelliea View Post
    Vigor is healing subschool and my DM said i would need to do a quest to get the belt of repair (we are allready on a quest and i have just leveled up), but thanks for the help.
    I'd definitely take this quest option. It might be rough for a little bit, but if you play it safe, and go get the belt relatively soon, things should work out.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

The estimates for an item that you can use "at will" to do repair 1D8+1 damage is just 2000gp. (1x1x2000) Alternatively the mending cantrip that heals 1 damage is gettable for half that. Useless in combat, but when the fight is done you can just take HP rounds to get back to full.

If you took a single level of artificer or wizard you wouldn't even need to do UMD checks, plus as an artificer you could cast a bunch of infusions on yourself that may come in handy.

Alternatively a twice a day eberron's eternal wand may suffice.
    Last edited by Baalthazaq; 2009-04-19 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Edited to include the cost for instantaneous durations.
    Looking for a PBP 3.5 game.
    PM me for more details on any of the below characters, or see here
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gnome Illusionist. Preferably with Cityscape allowed.

Kender Spellthief.

LG Hellbred Cleric of Levistus. Fiendish Codex needed.
    Low levels good but hope to reach epic.

Wizard developing his own school of magic.
    Low levels good but hope to reach >18.
    1 custom feat request but it isn't vital.

Warforge Artificer (Backstory not Eberron specific)
    Minimum level 6. Needs dryad cohort.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The estimates for an item that you can use "at will" to do repair 1D8+1 damage is just 2000gp. (1x1x2000) Alternatively the mending cantrip that heals 1 damage is gettable for half that. Useless in combat, but when the fight is done you can just take HP rounds to get back to full.
    That's one guideline, but another guideline is to compare the item to similar, already-existing items. And all existing items which can heal unlimited HP damage cost a lot more than one or two thousand GP.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

A one-level dip in Artificer will definitely make things easier for you, as it will greatly increase you ability to heal yourself. Later on, you can use Infusions on your body for extra on-the-spot repairing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    That's one guideline, but another guideline is to compare the item to similar, already-existing items. And all existing items which can heal unlimited HP damage cost a lot more than one or two thousand GP.
    True, but it's not my fault DnD horribly overprices infinite healing items.
    A ring of regeneration, which effectively gives regeneration 0.0017/level, costs 90'000 gp.

Simply not worth it. Ever. You could buy 120 wands for the same price, and heal 33000HP in 10 hours. To heal that much with the ring would (assuming never being on full HP at level 1) take over 3.5 years. Useless in a dungeon unless you have a few days to kill with no patrols.

It's only use is (minorly) cutting down downtime between dungeons assuming you can't pull off finding a level 1 cleric with a few spare healing potions for 1800th the cost of the ring.

DnD is worried about abuse, which is why the prices are over the top. What you've ended up with though is a mistake in the logic of what they're trying to say.

You assume "cure light wounds" is at the very least somewhere near ballpark equal to "a level 1 spell".
    It costs the same on a scroll, it costs the same on a wand, it takes up the same spell slot. Why is the price then bumped up all of a sudden to 100 times that when put on an infinite use item rather than a 1 or 50 use item?

If you want to charge extra for the ability to use it between fights, that's fine, but 100 fold more? You're basically saying that the cantrip is worth a level 5 spell because it has healing in the descriptor. It isn't.

I'd rather just take a Ring of invisibility for the whole party, or 4 brooms of flying.

Sorry for the tremendously long rant, but that always bugged me. :P I agree 2000gp is maybe too cheap, but it's not ridiculously so, especially if it's use activated instead of continuous.

Edited to add: Also, he's not doing heal, he's doing repair. In game items include a clockwork mender which can do D8 healing per day for 2500gp, or a mender swarm for (roughly) 8500gp, depending on the calculation estimates you use.

Alternatively still: Eberron wands do 2/day casts for almost the same price as a regular wand. Just buy 90 for the same price as the ring and give yourself 180D8+180 healing per day. Close enough to infinite for me.
    Last edited by Baalthazaq; 2009-04-19 at 12:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kender Spellthief.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

If your GM doesn't irrationally hate Tome of Battle, see if you can get access to some Devoted Spirit maneuvers, either via the Fighter going Crusader, by taking Martial Study, or by using magic items. While I say that it's total nonsense, by RAW the HP gain that Devoted Spirit maneuvers grant is not magical or even supernatural, it's just straight up HP gain, and thus doesn't care if you're alive, undead, a construct, or whatever. (In my games, I always houserule that don't be silly, of course the Devoted Spirit maneuvers are supernatural, but RAW they should affect you.)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baalthazaq View Post
    DnD is worried about abuse, which is why the prices are over the top. What you've ended up with though is a mistake in the logic of what they're trying to say.
    The Ring of Regeneration's expense has to do with the fact that it's supposed to grant you regeneration, a rare monster ability that allows permanent, in-combat healing, and a means of recovery from both lost limbs and fatal injuries. It didn't really survive the translation to 3E, unfortunately.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

You assume "cure light wounds" is at the very least somewhere near ballpark equal to "a level 1 spell".
    It costs the same on a scroll, it costs the same on a wand, it takes up the same spell slot. Why is the price then bumped up all of a sudden to 100 times that when put on an infinite use item rather than a 1 or 50 use item?
    An unlimited-use item of Color Spray, say, can in practice be used perhaps 20 times a day, if you have four combats and spend five rounds in each. It's priced based on that assumption. An unlimited-use item of Cure Minor Wounds, however, can be practically used hundreds of times per day (especially since the existence of the item will let you handle a much higher number of daily combats). This doesn't justify inflating the price of the healing trinket by a factor of 100, but it probably does justify inflating it by a factor of 10.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You could always spend a feat on Leadership and get a Warforged Artificer cohort. (Assuming your DM would allow it.)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

You could crush the DM's sanity by asking him if you can take the Reforged PrC. Make him ask himself how the **** the two can interact.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

The real trick is just finding ways to heal other than Conjuration (healing) spells. The obvious answer is repair damage, but I remember from similar situations that a paladin's lay on hands still works. But that means you have to find a paladin.

Also, on a technicality, the faster healing feat would give you a natural healing rate.

Faster Healing [General]
    Prerequisites: Base Fortitude Save Bonus +5

You recover lost hit points and ability score points faster than you normally would, accordind to the following table: {see table in CW, p.99}
    That would technically mean that you would heal at the listed rate, which is faster than your normal rate of 0. I do however foresee most DM's just saying "doesn't work that way", but just a thought.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Take Tomb Tainted Soul, and heal with negative energy instead.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seffbasilisk View Post
    Take Tomb Tainted Soul, and heal with negative energy instead.
    That'd work if he had a cleric instead of a druid in the party. Zaq's suggestion of getting the Devoted Spirit stance Martial Spirit is your best bet. It's only a two-feat investment that heals you for 2 HP per melee swing.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

You can always take the feat Draconic Aura [Vigor], which has no requirements by this point. It'll only get you fast healing 1 up to half your full hp, but that's a start, and it even affects the whole party!
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I never could figure out why infinite out-of-combat healing was considered so broken. In some campaigns, particularly time-sensitive ones, I can see it being an issue, but in your typical dungeon crawl, it mostly just means that the party doesn't have to stop to rest as often.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

24. - Top - End - #24

DrowGuy

The inflict spells are still conjuration.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    The inflict spells are still conjuration.
    No, they're necromancy. And it's the healing subschool specifically that doesn't affect him anyway.
    Last edited by The Deej; 2009-04-18 at 08:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Psions can heal others by many ways:
    Empathic touch, psionic repair damage (Constructs/objects), etc.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

You can always take the feat Draconic Aura [Vigor], which has no requirements by this point. It'll only get you fast healing 1 up to half your full hp, but that's a start, and it even affects the whole party!
    As written, the Draconic Aura feat can only be used for the auras printed in Dragon Magic (which do not include Vigor), so the Vigor aura is only available to Dragon Shamans. Of course, you may still be able to talk your DM into allowing it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    An unlimited-use item of Color Spray, say, can in practice be used perhaps 20 times a day, if you have four combats and spend five rounds in each. It's priced based on that assumption. An unlimited-use item of Cure Minor Wounds, however, can be practically used hundreds of times per day (especially since the existence of the item will let you handle a much higher number of daily combats). This doesn't justify inflating the price of the healing trinket by a factor of 100, but it probably does justify inflating it by a factor of 10.
    I'd agree with that I think... 10k seems fair for fast healing 1.
    20K for fast healing 5.
    180'000 for fast healing 10.
    300'000 for fast healing 15.

Yeah...not too shabby when you compare what you can get for the same price. They start to get to the point where you'd want them. (I'd still prefer a ring of invisibility or +3 weapon to fast healing 5 if there is a cleric in the party.... but it's not an easy choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty
    I never could figure out why infinite out-of-combat healing was considered so broken. In some campaigns, particularly time-sensitive ones, I can see it being an issue, but in your typical dungeon crawl, it mostly just means that the party doesn't have to stop to rest as often.
    I once had a party with no healing in it.
    We had a warforge artificer (repair)
    We had a phoelarch (heal by fire)
    We had a Sorceress (Sanctuary + Permanency effectively)
    We had a Fighter (20 Con, and Solid Armor, Fast Healing 1)
    We had a dread pirate (Fast healing 3)

Worked really nicely. They had to be even more careful than usual due to the no healing, but their downtime was significantly reduced.

The fast healing was acquired through a particularly nasty group of spiders I created. They drain con with their poison, but replace it with a point of fast healing per con lost. Restoration/heal/etc clears both effects.
    Last edited by Baalthazaq; 2009-04-18 at 11:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kender Spellthief.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I think it has to do with part of the expectations that are built into the game. The game assumed you were full at the "beginning" of every day (which is doable with simply a cleric in the party), but expected you to be damaged/otherwise weakened throughout the day. Your first battle had you a 100%, your second had you at 80%, then 60... and so on. If you started every battle at 100% then you can take greater risks than "expected" making each battle easier.
    But then the core game doesn't handle infinites very well either.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Baalthazaq View Post
    I'd agree with that I think... 10k seems fair for fast healing 1.
    20K for fast healing 5.
    180'000 for fast healing 10.
    300'000 for fast healing 15.

Yeah...not too shabby when you compare what you can get for the same price.
    Quote Originally Posted by d20SRD.org
    If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.
    Emphases mine.
    So by what's written amulet of Least Vigor costs 8000gp.
    1 CL * 1 spell level * 2000 * 4 duration in rounds
    link
    Personal record for being attacked by ninjas: 3 attacks in one go
    Amusing history of Monsters article