New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Orb Optimization {4e}

I was reading some Wizard's Handbooks, and I noticed something that contradicts the rules, at least as far as I see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook
    Alternatively, you can choose to extend the duration of an effect created by a wizard AT-WILL spell...
    Now, this is where Im lost. What everyone else seems to be implying is that the Orb can be used for other spells as well. Am I missing something?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Orb Optimization {4e}

Quote Originally Posted by Olo Demonsbane View Post
    Now, this is where Im lost. What everyone else seems to be implying is that the Orb can be used for other spells as well. Am I missing something?
    Nice catch. I didn't see that keyword there before.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I was reading some Wizard's Handbooks, and I noticed something that contradicts the rules, at least as far as I see them.

Thats not what the orb is really for. The Orb is for the -X to Saving Throws. Since Saving Throws don't scale, and you have a scaling bonus that (In certain builds) gets higher then -15, you can even keep a solo stun-locked for the encounter.

Consider: 18 Wisdom + 8 (Levels) + 2 (Demigod) = +9. Orb of Ultimate Imposition +6 with this wisdom means a total of -15 to Saving throws.

Another trick for similar, but less cheesy results:
    Hybrid Swordmage / Wizard, Grab whichever class feature you want, Wield a Cunning Weapon.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Even a fairly reasonable build can probably squeeze in 'second implement' and 'spell focus' for a good bump off the old saving throw. That's why I like the orb for backup.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A lot of people do seem to misread that clause to allow it to work on any power. I know I did the first few times I read it.

However, as Gralamin said, the real strength of Orbizards is save ends powers. It's actually fairly easy to stack -11 to saving throws at higher levels, which makes it impossible for normal enemies to save against your powers. With the game-breakingly powerful Orb of Ultimate Imposition, from AV, it's possible to stack up -16 and more, which makes it so that literally no target can save against your powers.

Consider a staff wizard who takes the Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon path, then takes the feat that gives you a second Implement Mastery feature to pick up Orb Mastery. The WotST lets them use a sword as the implement type they have (staff). So, they pick up a Cunning Longsword +6 and use it as a staff to deliver their powers. That's -4 to enemy saves. Then, they wield an Orb of Ultimate Imposition +6 in their offhand. With a relatively-trivial +6 Wisdom bonus, you can apply the Orb of Imposition for -16 saves. Pretty specific build, and somewhat-expensive, but with a build using this technique you can have a 16% chance of one-shotting Tiamat with a level 1 daily. Lesser foes are even more vulnerable.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

All right, thanks Playground. I see what you mean by the saving throw penalty...that could knock someone unconcious with a Sleep spell forever!

My DM is really leniant and thinks that the Orb sucks, so I can probably get him to remove the at will part anyway.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The ability to extend the duration of an at-will power is just so the ability is usable every battle even if you are not using a save ends effect during the battle.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I've got an orb wizard of 7th level who only can use his orb to extend the duration of Illusory Ambush. It's still quite helpful and has made a difference in almost every battle. Maybe someday he'll get something with saves. Maybe not.
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2009-04-19 at 01:26 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

This part is only for extending Cloud of Daggers and Ray of Frost (and more importantly, the Thunder Pillar from arcane power).

However, a low-level item exists called the Orb of Inevitable Continuance, which once per day lets you extend any spell.

Orbs are awesome.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!