New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Katars at Low Levels

So, simply because they're cool, I'm a fan of katars. (And they are katars, dammit, not "punching daggers." If you want to call a katar a "punching dagger," I get to call a rapier a "thrusting sword.") However, as far as I'm concerned, you don't wield one katar. You always use two of 'em, end of story. Now, mechanically, katars aren't that powerful (they are both simple and light weapons, after all, with nothing really fancy in their favor), and two-weapon fighting is often very problematic. That said, what's the lowest level you could make a character who dual-wields katars without drooling on themselves?

I've toyed with a few different ideas... none of them seem very good, though. Tome of Battle might be an idea, but of the low-level Tiger Claw maneuvers, only one really seems to work with two-weapon fighting, despite Tiger Claw's reputation as "the two-weapon school." So that's tricky.

Remember, this isn't "Get X benefit as good as you can by level Y." It's closer to "How soon can you make this work without being incredibly underpowered?"
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Katars at Low Levels

1st level rogue with TWF; at 3rd level, with Weapon Finesse, you get pretty darn nice, since you've got a minimum of +2 to attack (since you needed a 15 Dex, and now have a +2 BAB), and are doing 1D4+1D6 damage per sneak attack. You're never going to be fantastic, but a good rogue sneak attack damage is worth a lot.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.