New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Pick your own stats

Let's say your DM said "Alright guys, I'm trying something different this time. Roll new characters, but don't bother rolling stats. Pick whatever you feel suits your character." Would you abuse this, or would you use it to create exactly the character you had in mind, with all their weaknesses AND strengths?
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Pick your own stats

I'd like to say I wouldn't give myself a character that was too twinked out, but the temptation may be too great. Realistically, I doubt I'd give myself anything lower than a 12 unless I came up with a great character idea that incorporated having any lower stats.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd probably go for something like 18, 16, 16, 14, 14, 10 or 18, 16, 14, 14, 12, 10. I don't want to make a Mary Sue. On the other hand, I'd rather not be gimped in any one stat.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I have a habit of rolling so well the DM won't even let me roll my own stats any more, even if I'm rolling with someone elses dice in front of him.

Seriously, my last character rolled 18, 18, 16, 16, 16, 15 in a 4d6b3 roll.

EDIT: Way to tangent, loopy.

As I was saying, my character would probably have one or two 18's, a couple of 16's, a 12, and a 'low'. Seems balanced. *shrugs*
    Last edited by loopy; 2009-05-04 at 05:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Well I have a habit of rolling so well the DM won't even let me roll my own stats any more, even if I'm rolling with someone elses dice in front of him.

Seriously, my last character rolled 18, 18, 16, 16, 16, 15 in a 4d6b3 roll.

EDIT: Way to tangent, loopy.

As I was saying, my character would probably have one or two 18's, a couple of 16's, a 12, and a 'low'. Seems balanced. *shrugs*

Yeah i got the same problem loopy, except it also happens a lot with combat and spot checks.
    Got 3 triple crits in a row one combat, the DM decided he's rolling for me from now on.

Anyways, since my stats usually come out 18, 18, 17, 16, 16,14... I'd try to be a little more fair. I actually DM a lot of short dungeon crawls, and since building characters is time consuming, and since people roll differently and its usually not balanced. i usually do one of two things.
    1) give every player an 18
    2) all stats are consistent 18, 16, 14, 14, 12, 10.

I'd take number two and just build a character with a background suited for him. Although i have toyed with the idea of playing a commoner named brian who's abilities are 18, 9, 8, 7, 8,7 Brian wasn't ever really good at anything.
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I think my line of thought would be something like "Well, I don't want my character to have 18s in everything, obviously," then I'd look around at the rest of the group and think "Wait, that's everyone else's first thought too! So actually giving myself 18s in everything would be GROUND BREAKING and REVOLUTIONARITY", then I'd finish making my character the whole way, look back over it, realize that having all 18s is dumb, and go with two 18s, three 14s and a 6, probably.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Playing D&D (or any other RPGs for that matter) shouldn't be about testing how *honest* I am. To me, it's all about having fun together :)

So I'd consult other players and find out what kind of a campaign they'd like to play in. Do they want to play a full-on, over-the-top action? Or do they want to play a "farm-boy/girl-becomes-a-hero/ine" kind of a game, in which the protagonists would have pretty average scores overall.

We'd have plenty of fun just talking about it too, being D&D geeks that we are ;)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it'd be hard for me not to maximize at last the main stats of my character. I think most people are a sufficient amount power gamer to have a hard time passing up the opportunity to make a twink character.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

I'd probably go for something along the lines of 18/18/16/14/10/8. Strong in virtually every area but has some flaws as well.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Let's say your DM said "Alright guys, I'm trying something different this time. Roll new characters, but don't bother rolling stats.
    I don't see what's so new or different about that. The last time any DM asked me to roll for stats was fifteen years ago.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Man people who would give themselves all 18s surprise me.

Why stop at 18? All 24s, baby
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

12. - Top - End - #12

MonkGuy

I'd probably get an all-18 once, just because I can. Then, I'd pick stats apropriate to my characters (Which are usually high =P). I'd probably still would not resist the temptation of giving 18's to the two most relevant stats for a while, though...
    In two seconds I will hit the ground
    A moment stretched out over years
    And my eyes will flicker and then something has changed
    An empty cage, a crimson bud, a street of blood
    A city rose sprung out to greet the rain

PoS: Enter Rain

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

It'd depend on the character I make. It wouldn't likely differ much from the point buy I usually use (32pb), but I always feel it stupid to have even numbers in every stat and having to dump two stats so I'd:
    1) Ensure I've got at least 11 in every stat (unless I was intentionally making a guy with a very clear fundamental weakness).
    2) Probably have 1 18. Or I'd make a Monk and give myself 3 18s to be slightly competent (ok, I'd just rather play Unarmed Swordsage still).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grautry View Post
    I'd probably go for something along the lines of 18/18/16/14/10/8. Strong in virtually every area but has some flaws as well.
    Same here, I put forth the idea awhile ago to my DM. I personally like to have high starting stats, but can live with what I get though. Just after a few times seeing other players scratching thier roles because they wanted to have 16-18s when they played the Rogue. They just kept on doing that, soo I was like, " why not just give high stats?"
    mikej

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Knight View Post
    Just to save time:

Giacomo: Monks are as strong as wizards with UMD and partially charged wands.

[Respected forum members]: No they are not.

Giacomo: Yes they are. You all just abuse the rules.

[Rfm]: No u

G: No u

Repeat until someone challenges G to duel, which then never happens.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I would ask the other players (either conspire with them separately, or else just peek off their sheets). If I had to pick myself, my main question would be "what is everyone else going to pick". That is probably a bit unfortunate, but I think it's true for me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would do the stats based on the character, with good ones and bad one.

Unless it was a monk, in which case every stat will be 20.
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd probably just add the stats up so they were worth a 32 Point Buy (that's my prefered stat generation method, and I don't think it would be too strong).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I'd probably use the opportunity to play a character with a cool concept but one that doesn't synergy well stat-wise; something with some harsh MAD.

I think my first choice would be a swordsage/shadowmage (my own homebrew, in sig), focusing on Shadow Hand maneuvers/stances; requires high stats in Dex, Wis, & Cha as well as a solid Int and Con (for melee survivability & Concentration checks). Would be especially awesome in a gestalt game.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Depends on my class, but I'd have one or 2 18s, one or 2 16s, a 14, and 2 somewhere between 12 and 8. Add a point to the Con score, and there we go. I'd never go intentionally low. I had fun playing my priest with Down, but never again.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

If I was to stat myself:

Str - 12
    Dex - 16
    Con - 12
    Int - 16
    Wis - 14
    Cha - 9

Desired character:

Str - 14
    Dex - 18
    Con - 10
    Int - 16
    Wis - 12
    Cha - 8
    My Homebrews

Spoiler
    Show
    What D&D race are you most like?

My Results:

Half - Elf Not quite human and not quite elf you can learn the ways of sword and magic, but are sometimes clouded with human emotions.

Request a Homebrew Requests #169, 170, & 313

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

If there are no limitations on stats, why stop at one or two 18s, or for that matter why stop at 18. 25s give you +7 to your ability scores. if you dump that into a casting stat, it lets you cast two additional 1st, 2nd and 3rd level spells.

22. - Top - End - #22

Honestly, I would take all 18's, make him a human fighter to start with, take the leadership feat, and name him Alexander. Who knows where he would end up..

23. - Top - End - #23

32 point buy has been the standard in games I've run for years. I've never had a complaint.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

To those saying "Why stop at 18's?"... I'd say that it's not unreasonable for a DM to slap a player who puts down all 25's and says "Well, you said ANYTHING.."

Lots of interesting responses, though. The reason I ask this is because one of my buddies is getting married sometime in the next year, and we've started a tradition of sorts, where whenever one of us gets married, we throw a three-day D&D party for the bachelor party. We're not really into strippers.. though it's tempting to get a few who will come and play "D&D with DD's" with us, just for the amusement factor. Of course, the actual bachelor wouldn't be nearly as amused.....

Anyway. I've been toying with this idea, because I think having a blow-out-the-roof style game would be a blast. I'd still start everyone at lower level just to keep the game somewhat sane, probably around level 3 or so (Since we have lots of weapon-finesse-rogue-players), so that the basics of everyone's builds can be in place. The "Pick your own stats" thing is just... it seems like a fun thing to pull out.

If I were to do this, and say "Okay guys, pick your own stats, but I want to keep this at a medium power level game", do you guys think that would be reasonable? Would that change any of your stat arrays?

For the record, I agree a lot with the crowd who're picking one or two 18's, several mid-range scores, and a couple hovering around the 8-12 area. All 18's is just too much... although I admit, it would be a lot of fun to play someone who is the epitome of what their race could be, and acts like it.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quietus: That's a brilliant game idea! All base 18 + racial and templates.
    Spoiler
    Show

Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

New idea. Take straight 18s and play a Lightning Warrior. The high stats will offset the inherrant weakness and MAD of that class.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I might go with all 18s, but only to do an ACE RIMMER (what a guy!) style character. I mean, full on teeth gleam when he smiles, women swooning, villians mustache twirling, the works.

Otherwise, one or two 18s in primary stats, other wise 12s or 14s.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

28. - Top - End - #28

It just dawned on me that all 18s could make the monk almost playable.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

MonkGuy

I would do all 18's, but that's far too obvious. I'd instead do 18, 16, 16, 14, 14, 12. Broken, yes and pretty obvious, but at least I can make a decent argument. Say that my character never slacked off and trained hard. Besides, anyone says anything, I'll just say the DM said it was okay.

30. - Top - End - #30

Goblin

Oooooh! Take all 18's be a human Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade
    Captain America!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?