New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Is It Possible Wield Large 2-Handed Weapon as Medium Character With Monkey Grip?

My Character Has Feat Monkey Grip and He Found A +1 Heavy Flail. Can He Use It? Sorry For My English, It is not My Mother TOunge!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Is It Possible Wield Large 2-Handed Weapon as Medium Character With Monkey Grip?

Yes, but for future reference, such questions belong in the thread titled "Simple Questions by RAW."
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

Current Characters:

Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Is It Possible Wield Large 2-Handed Weapon as Medium Character With Monkey Grip?

Monkey Grip allows you to wield a weapon of a size one larger than normal (so Large weapons for a Medium character) with a -2 penalty on attack rolls. It doesn't change the "handedness" (light, one-handed, two-handed), so could wield your new large +1 heavy flail in two hands with a -2 atk penalty.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default The Proper Use of Capital Letters

Quote Originally Posted by A Winrar Is Me! View Post
    Sorry For My English, It is not My Mother TOunge!
    Hey, it looks pretty good to me. Just one small tip, though: Capitalization is for a letter at the beginning of a sentence or at the start of a proper noun (a name, in other words), and for the first person pronoun "I". It's not supposed to be applied to the first letter of every word, except in a title. So doing that in the title of a post is OK*, but doing it with the entire opening post makes it look sort of weird (if still quite readable).

Just for future reference.

*Abbreviations are also often capitalized to indicate that they stand for something.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Monkey Grip allows you to wield a weapon of a size one larger than normal (so Large weapons for a Medium character) with a -2 penalty on attack rolls. It doesn't change the "handedness" (light, one-handed, two-handed), so could wield your new large +1 heavy flail in two hands with a -2 atk penalty.
    Provided a Heavy Flail is a two handed weapon, no. Making it a Large weapon then makes it a category other than "Light, one-handed, or two-handed", which means not at all.

Now, to answer the question.

If you have a pair of 2 handed weapons, and monkey grip, yes, you can wield them.

You will take the following penalties.
    -2 / -2 : A Penalty to each weapon for fighting two-handed.
    -2 / -2 : Another Penalty, because your off hand weapon is not light.
    -2 / -0 : A penalty for the first weapon, for being Monkey-Gripped.
    -0 / -2 : A penalty for the second weapon, for being Monkey-Gripped.

Total Penalty: -6 to all attacks.

If the weapon were a Large one-handed weapon (such as an Ogre's Longsword), it could still be done (as large one-handed weapons are considered two-handed weapons for medium creatures), with an additonal -2 penalty. (-8/-8)

If you don't have Two-Weapon Fighting, you would need to add an additional -2 / -4 penalty to the above.

So a warrior who was captured by ogres, and grabbed two Ogre longswords to fight his way out, would have a total penalty of -8/-8, if he had monkey grip and Two weapon fighting.

If he just had monkey grip, it'd be -10/-12. But then, if he just had monkey grip, he'd probably only want 1 ogre longsword, and then fight with it two handed at a -2 penalty. (no dual wield, no monkey grip used) If he also found a shield, maybe a -4 penalty to sword and board it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    Provided a Heavy Flail is a two handed weapon, no. Making it a Large weapon then makes it a category other than "Light, one-handed, or two-handed", which means not at all.
    I don't get what you're saying here. Monkey Grip's entire purpose is to let you use a weapon one size bigger, regardless of what category it's in.

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Warrior
    Benefit: You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it rakes you to use the weapon does not change. [...] You can wield a larger light weapon as a light weapon, or a larger two-handed weapon in two hands. You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off-hand, and you cannot use this feat with a double weapon.
    A heavy flail is a martial two-handed weapon. A Medium character can wield a Medium heavy flail in two hands, while a Large character can wield a Large heavy flail in two hands. A Medium character with Monkey Grip can wield a Large heavy flail (a "melee weapon one size category larger" than he is) with a -2 attack penalty, but the effort to wield it doesn't change (so it's still two-handed).

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Ah, then I misread. Still, it's a horrible feat.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, pretty much. I think withOUT Monkey Grip you can wield larger weapons and THAT'S when the handedness category changes, but I'm not sure.

O course, most people I've ever played with started with 3.0 weapon size rules, whereas I started with 3.5's (which were different), and a lot of folks seem to play with some weird hybrid of the two anyway.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post

Now, to answer the question.
    (...)
    Just for clarification: That is the 3.0 version.
    The updated 3.5 is different. It just allows you to wield a weapon one size category larger as if you were using a normal weapon for your size (with the -2 penalty), so you can wield a large 2-handed weapon as normal. Without it, you can only wield a large 1-handed as if it were a 2-handed (with a -4 penalty instead of -2).

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."