New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Groundhog's Random Banter of Weather Prediction and Anti-Gopherness #120

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Been there, done that seen that.
    >.>
    <.<

Right, now go to the Swiss Alps, shred down the mountains on the snowboard, temporarily 100 blind people with the lasertag gun on the way down and then incapacitate the instructor with silly string as you make your escape via the helicopter at the end of the slope. That should occupy you for a little while.

Billy was a chemist's son and now is no more, what he thought was H2O was H2SO4!
    That sounds like too much effort. I need something I can do that doesn't involve too much effort.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Groundhog's Random Banter of Weather Prediction and Anti-Gopherness #120

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Segue's are a key part of humour.
    Joke
    There are ten types of people in the world, the ones who know binary and the ones who don't.

Joke 2
    It smells like updog in here.
    What's updog?
    Nothing much, how about you?

EDIT: But Nameless, it would be.... EXTREME and.... TO THE MAX!!!
    Last edited by Fredthefighter; 2009-05-29 at 02:55 PM.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Been there, done that seen that.
    >.>
    <.<
    It's even better when you use the Rorshach mod...

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    Joke
    There are ten types of people in the world, the ones who know binary and the ones who don't.

Joke 2
    It smells like updog in here.
    What's updog?
    Nothing much, how about you?
    It's a good thing I have a basic knowledge of binary then.

*Is glad I ignored what my teacher was saying in maths class and studied binary instead*

*Is sad that I have forgotten most of it due to not ever using it*

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Barbarian in the Playground

Joke
    I have to hand it to him, whoever invented binary sure knew how to put two and two together.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pirate Lucky by Ceika, Lady Luck by Ego, Lucky Luke by Captain Van Der Decken

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Orc in the Playground

So many puns.. It's wonderful.. Now nameless here's what you have to do.. Get a mirror and make funny faces at it.. It'll keep you amused for a while. It works for me at least.
    Last edited by Jkoshe; 2009-05-29 at 03:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    I have to hand it to him, whoever invented binary sure knew how to put two and two together.
    *Applauds*

One bear says to another after they finish eating a clown "Did he taste funny to you?"
    Spoiler
    Show

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Barbarian in the Playground

*Applauds*

One bear says to another after they finish eating a clown "Did he taste funny to you?"
    Did you hear the one about the bear who went over the mountain to see what was bruin?
    Spoiler
    Show

Pirate Lucky by Ceika, Lady Luck by Ego, Lucky Luke by Captain Van Der Decken

9. - Top - End - #1179

Point 1: Maths. Fred, you should know better.

The square root of negative 1 doesn't exist (mathematically impossible)
    Point 2: This is a huge load of something which probably wouldn't get past the forum filter. The square root of -1 is not a real number, but it exists just as much as negatrive numbers do and is absolutely mathematically possible, not to mention very useful.

Pie
    Point 3: Pie is a type of food. Pi is a greek letter commonly used to represent the ratio between the circumference and diameter of a circle.

irrational number (a recurring number that shows now patter whatsoever, like the square root of 2).
    Point 4: Typos aside, this statement is an oxymoron. If a number is recurring it has a pattern, and is therefore not irrational.

Point 5: This joke only works if you say '10'. If you say 'ten', you're just wrong.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2009-05-29 at 03:08 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Colossus in the Playground

THat's a thing I never got... why are there so many jokes involving the greek letter pi and pie? Just because the latin representation is spellt similar, but without the "e" at the end?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Orc in the Playground

The square root of -1 is
    1i I have 2i's and 2 ears and one mouth.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jkoshe View Post
    So many puns.. It's wonderful.. Now nameless here's what you have to do.. Get a mirror and make funny faces at it.. It'll keep you amused for a while. It works for me at least.
    Yay!

*strips*

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post

Point 1: Maths. Fred, you should know better.

Point 2: This is a huge load of something which probably wouldn't get past the forum filter. The square root of -1 is not a real number, but it exists just as much as negatrive numbers do and is absolutely mathematically possible, not to mention very useful.

Point 3: Pie is a type of food. Pi is a greek letter commonly used to represent the ratio between the circumference and diameter of a circle.

Point 4: Typos aside, this statement is an oxymoron. If a number is recurring it has a pattern, and is therefore not irrational.
    Wait a minute, I'm being corrected, and it isn't Curly or Kaelaroth who are correcting me. Weird.

Okay:
    1) Maths ---> Math, could've possibly been a typo.
    2) It may be a number, but we can't calculate it with a normal calculator.
    3) Another mispelling there.
    4) Recurring may have not been the best choice of words there. Decimal number might have been better.
    5) I don't know much about binary.
    6) There is no reason to get all To be honest, that shouldn't have gotten more than a really.
    Last edited by Fredthefighter; 2009-05-29 at 03:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Yay!

*strips*
    Not quite what I meant But whatever makes you happy I guess..

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

Not quite what I meant But whatever makes you happy I guess..
    ... Oh...
    *puts pants back on*
    >.>

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    THat's a thing I never got... why are there so many jokes involving the greek letter pi and pie? Just because the latin representation is spellt similar, but without the "e" at the end?
    I think it's basically because there are a lot of people who have a fondness for pie. And so naturally people with a mathematical leaning would wish to combine the two. This t-shirt for example. (From another webcomic which is also rather good)
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

17. - Top - End - #1187

Wait a minute, I'm being corrected, and it isn't Curly or Kaelaroth who are correcting me. Weird.

Okay:
    1) Maths ---> Math, could've possibly been a typo.
    2) It may be a number, but we can't calculate it with a normal calculator.
    3) Another mispelling there.
    4) Recurring may have not been the best choice of words there. Decimal number might have been better.
    5) I don't know much about binary.
    6) There is no reason to get all To be honest, that shouldn't have gotten more than a really.
    2) Normal calculators can't do calculus, either. Would you say that's mathematically impossible?
    3) Misspelling has a double s.
    4) That's an understatement. It was, as I said, the wrong word. Decimal number is also not right, as you have to specify that it goes on forever after the decimal point.
    The actual definition of an irrational number, btw, is a number which cannot be written as a fraction p/q, with p,q integers.
    5) 10 means two in binary, as opposed to ten in decimal. Why did you tell the joke if you didn't understand it?
    6) Claiming the square root of -1 is mathematically impossible, thus implying that the whole theory of complex numbers does not exist, would merit a all on its own. Add your other mistakes? Definitely reason enough for me.
    Remember, the reason I'm doing a maths degree is because I love the subject. And complex numbers specifically are brilliant.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ettin in the Playground

2) Normal calculators can't do calculus, either. Would you say that's mathematically impossible?
    3) Misspelling has a double s.
    4) That's an understatement. It was, as I said, the wrong word. Decimal number is also not right, as you have to specify that it goes on forever after the decimal point.
    The actual definition of an irrational number, btw, is a number which cannot be written as a fraction p/q, with p,q integers.
    5) 10 means two in binary, as opposed to ten in decimal. Why did you tell the joke if you didn't understand it?
    6) Claiming the square root of -1 is mathematically impossible, thus implying that the whole theory of complex numbers does not exist, would merit a all on its own. Add your other mistakes? Definitely reason enough for me.
    Remember, the reason I'm doing a maths degree is because I love the subject. And complex numbers specifically are brilliant.

Sorry, but all this seems quite pedantic no matter what you do for a degree. I can understand you have a passion for the subject, but to use that passion for anger is in my opinion, a misuse of your mind.

While I apologise for causing you any offence, my above statement still stands.
    Last edited by Fredthefighter; 2009-05-29 at 03:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Orc in the Playground

What you did was essentially insult (saying it's not true/impossible) what he does and loves. His current life's work and you expect him to no be mad? Someone is a tad naive
    Last edited by Jkoshe; 2009-05-29 at 03:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ettin in the Playground

What you did was essentially insult (saying it's not true/impossible) what he does and loves. His current life's work and you expect him to no be mad? Someone is a tad naive
    Maybe I am, as I had not looked at it in the way you've just pointed it out. However, what I did was not a result of a general animosity, but a result of a lack of knowledge.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

21. - Top - End - #1191

Yes, I'm a pedant. But removing complex numbers would cut a vast swathe out of mathematics, so that's not really pedantic of me to point out. The others, as I said, bothered me less (Although the maths/math thing is a bit of a pet peeve). They were more pointed out in passing.

And I wasn't 'using my passion for anger'. No-one uses their passion for anger. Passion is what causes people to be angry in the first place. It's an emotional response rather than an intellectual one.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe I am, as I had not looked at it in the way you've just pointed it out. However, what I did was not a result of a general animosity, but a result of a lack of knowledge.
    I'm not saying it's your fault. But it's like my friend at debate. They did a competition and they brought up how they think cat bylaws are pointless on a off hand you know. Cat's being hard to control. Guess who the judge was, the guy who wrote all the cat bylaws for Canada. You can imagine he was a tad peeved.
    Last edited by Jkoshe; 2009-05-29 at 03:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1193

Additionally, I direct you to this xkcd strip:
    Spoiler
    Show
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not saying it's your fault. But it's like my friend at debate. They did a competition and they brought up how they think cat bylaws are pointless on a off hand you know. Cat's being hard to control. Guess who the judge was, the guy who wrote all the cat bylaws for Canada. You can imagine he was a tad peeved.
    That seems a little coincidental for some reason.

Thufir, I can understand where you're coming from here. I have said that I apologise. I too admit being a pedant. I haven't delved very far into complex numbers yet with maths (or at least I don't remember studying complex numbers), this may be rectified as I participate in A-level maths in the future.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Titan in the Playground

Additionally, I direct you to this xkcd strip:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's so true...

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Orc in the Playground

It happens all the time. If you get too worked up by it people get hurt.. Mostly you. Then there a people like me who feed off emotions... it's not fun for us either.

27. - Top - End - #1197

That seems a little coincidental for some reason.

Thufir, I can understand where you're coming from here. I have said that I apologise. I too admit being a pedant. I haven't delved very far into complex numbers yet with maths (or at least I don't remember studying complex numbers), this may be rectified as I participate in A-level maths in the future.
    Assuming it hasn't changed since I did it, you won't get to do complex numbers unless you do further maths as well. They came up in FP1, but no earlier. Oh, or I suppose you might be doing it with a different exam board which might do it differently.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ettin in the Playground

Assuming it hasn't changed since I did it, you won't get to do complex numbers unless you do further maths as well. They came up in FP1, but no earlier. Oh, or I suppose you might be doing it with a different exam board which might do it differently.
    Can we put this whole argument/debate behind us now please?
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Titan in the Playground

Can we put this whole argument/debate behind us now please?
    Agreed! Let's eat pie!

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Bugbear in the Playground

I prefer simple numbers myself. I think seven got it about right. It wasn't too many, nor too few. (Two is too few). Okay, I really need to drink less coffee, I'm mistaking the caffeinated buzz for wit.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.