New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Soulbows and Weapon Augment Crystals

I'm making a Soulbow/Skirmisher in a high level gestalt game and I'm wondering if there's any way I can use the weapon augment crystals from the Magic Item Compendium, in particular the ones that would allow me to skirmish undead or constructs.

The problem is a Soulbow just manifests the mind arrows through their hand, there's no bow to attach a crystal to. So I'm curious if I could attach the crystal to a glove or maybe a headband, or if I'm just grasping at straws here.

Thanks in advance for any info or ideas.
    An army of squirrels is still an army and being gnawed to death is a really bad way to go. - Squirrelmancer
    Custom avatar by me!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Soulbows and Weapon Augment Crystals

I don't think legally, but you might be able to get your DM to allow you to get some kind of hand slot item for it. Like the Exspheres in Tales of Symphonia, if you're familiar with that, or some other kind of graft.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Have you considered Swift Hunter? Allows Ranger and Scout levels to stack for Skirmish and Favored Enemy, and allows Skirmish to apply to Favored Enemies with immunity(technically covering Fortification and similar, too). Pick Undead and Constructs, and you're good.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
    The problem is a Soulbow just manifests the mind arrows through their hand, there's no bow to attach a crystal to. So I'm curious if I could attach the crystal to a glove or maybe a headband, or if I'm just grasping at straws here.
    I'm pretty sure there's an item or two in the MIC that are gloves or something that augment your mindblade. See if they're still something you could use, and then just attach your crystals to that.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #5

As a DM, I'd rule that you channel the weapon through the equipped crystal. In other words, it'd function a bit like a lightsaber sans the hilt (that can also be a bow). Not game breaking, and makes for a really cool mental image. Win all around.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's an item or two in the MIC that are gloves or something that augment your mindblade. See if they're still something you could use, and then just attach your crystals to that.
    Yeah I saw those which is what gave me the idea for a glove that I could attach the weapon crystals to.
    An army of squirrels is still an army and being gnawed to death is a really bad way to go. - Squirrelmancer
    Custom avatar by me!

7. - Top - End - #7

I'm not sure if the Soulknife or Soulbow can technically by RAW use those crystals, but I would personally would houserule it in. Seems reasonable. Stick the crystal on your clothes somewhere and make sure you obey the rules and limitations for if you were using the crystal with a more mundane weapon and I don't see any balance problems. At the most, I might homebrew up a cheap magic amulet or glove or something (probably try to make it unslotted) that you stick the crystal in.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
    Yeah I saw those which is what gave me the idea for a glove that I could attach the weapon crystals to.
    Well, in that case, talk to your DM about it and it should be fine. Either make it a set of gloves that you can attach the weapon augment crystals, or just re-fluff the augment crystals as (slot-less) gloves that you can wear on top of any other magical hand slot items.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium