New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default ToB version of Arcane Disciple

Been kicking this around in my head; what if there were a feat that was like Arcane Disciple, but for Martial Adepts?

Short version:
    Adept Disciple
    Prereqs: Knowledge(religion) 4 ranks, Martial Lore 4 ranks, able to initiate maneuvers, alignment matches that of your chosen diety
    Benefit: Choose a domain (and one initiator class that you have);Any time you would learn a new maneuver from that initiator class, you may learn the domain spell of that domain of the same level instead. You prepare, expend and refresh the spell as you would a maneuver, paying all costs of the spell. The DC, if any, is Wisdom based, you need to have wisdom of at least 10 + spell level to learn it and use your initiator level for all effects related to caster level.

Two questions:
    1. Is this broken beyond belief?

2. If it were allowed, what adept class would you give which domain?

My answers to the these questions:
    1. Maybe; I'm sure there's something ludicrous out there
    2. Swordsage of Kord with Competition Domain, Crusader of Pelor with Healing Domain, Warblade of ... Olidamarra with Celerity Domain?

Curious to see what the playground thinks
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: ToB version of Arcane Disciple

Well, just make sure nobody ever gets Time Stop. Infinitely looping it and spells is ridiculously easy. In general, infinite uses of arcane spells (which many domains offer) are a Bad Thing. That said, if you limited the uses somehow (they're casting spells, after all), such as by placing a daily limit (3/day sounds good) on the ability (after which he'd have to swap it out for a maneuver proper to get some use out of the slot), it could work out.

Also, I suggest making it depend on the main stat of the adept; make this Int-based for Warblades, Wis for Swordsages and Cha for Crusaders. Otherwise it heavily favours Swordsages almost making this feat solely useful for them.

Also, shouldn't this be in the homebrew forum?
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

It probably should be in homebrew, but I was mainly interested in the second question and it's less creative than I feel like things in homebrew should be.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

So, basically, you'd be able to cast Miracle every other round, once you got high enough level.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Make them usable once per day as many other domain granting abilities. Otherwise, Time Stop and Polymorph Clan (Transformation domain) can break the game very very quickly

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

1/day may be excessive. Once per five minutes (a la ToM) might work, as might the simpler 1/hour. Beyond that, most of the problem is in the spells themselves, not in the mechanic. Any broken uses can be handled on a per-spell basis.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    1/day may be excessive. Once per five minutes (a la ToM) might work, as might the simpler 1/hour. Beyond that, most of the problem is in the spells themselves, not in the mechanic. Any broken uses can be handled on a per-spell basis.
    Actually, any unlimited use mechanic that lets you choose spells to use with it is a problem with the mechanic. That's because those spells were written assuming they would have limited uses or that, at the least, some sacrifice would have to be made to make them last longer/use them more. A short recharge mechanic completely wrecks that and effectively creates the DMM: Persist scenario (or, alternately, the unlimited command-word activated item of some spell that really shouldn't be so.) Consider it with the Healing domain- 1 feat for unlimited healing (I don't consider that a real problem, but some people react very, very negatively to the idea) or Luck: with a recharge mechanic, that one feat lets you always be protected from all five standard energy types, have Freedom of Movement, Spell Turning, a Moment of Prescience, and cast Miracle.. admittedly, Luck has a very nice spell list, but the point is good for almost any domain. There are a vast number of spells that you really don't want somebody to have at-will.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Heal, mass heal, wail of the banshee, genesis, dominate monster, gate, foresight, miracle, or Mordenkainen's disjunction once every five minutes...

Who wouldn't take this feat? And that's just core spells. Plus you'd get multiple spells with one feat? Holy heck!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Maybe if you picked (or custom made) a domain for each of the 9 disciplines. For example, if you want to take the Fire domain, you need to have a manuever from the Dessert Wind school. Then just pick domains without problematic spells such as the ones mentioned above.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.