A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

furious OOTS #653 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.

EDIT: Oh, and since I got a few dozen emails about it, yes, the art for OOTS #652 was missing the proper battle damage on Xykon, Redcloak, and Jirix. A revised version has been uploaded.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameŚnow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #653 - The Discussion Thread

Fight, Fight, Fight!
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Ah well. You did scuff and scratch him a bit, Varsuvius - you can at least console yourself with the fact that that's a lot more than most other of his foes have managed!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Bye V...

Rock beats Elf.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

First off:

1) Awwww, Tsukio has a widdle Xykon doll she sleeps with. ^_^

2) Xykon owned V HARD both verbally AND spell-wise.

3) Poor V. Things are not looking good for her. At least she's not all veiny like she used to be. :(

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

frown Re: OOTS #653 - The Discussion Thread

Noooooo!!! Vaarsuvius! Hang in there!
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2009-05-14 at 10:52 AM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I forsee...

Spoiler
    Show
    V will be thrown into the cage along with O-Chul and he'll also begin giving her life lessons as well.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ouch. That's gotta hurt.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know, it occurs to me to wonder where Ganonron and Jephton are going. Where DO incorporeal soul splices go after they escape?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

PWNED!

That's the only proper title for this strip. PWNED. V was utterly and completely smacked down.

*Applause* I should be rooting for the good guy, but this was a crowning moment of awesome for Xykon. I haven't seen such a complete and total owning since .. ever! It was a delight to watch.

Other little details are fun too .. I note that Tsukikko has a little Xykon doll .. ewww.

Strange. T's outfit is less revealing than a bikini is but *seems* more enticing. Guess it's more about the presentation than anything else.

Anyways, great strip and a funny strip, even if what's about to happen to V isn't funny at all. But really, who didn't see something like this coming?

Attack the main villain in his lair without scrying beforehand or making the least vestige of a plan? V *deserved* to lose. I'd have been disappointed and angry if he won. The same reason I was angry when Xykon owned the Sapphire Guard. Because X then, like V now, was reckless and overconfident in his power. Happily the world is working as it should.

Question: Why is Xykon willing to 'go easy' on a knight-on-a-valiant-quest like Roy -- remember , he tried to give Roy the option of walking away alive -- but pulls out all the stops for a challenge to his rep by an evil magic-user?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2009-05-14 at 09:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Heh, Tsukiko's slippers match her eyes

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

I actually like this comic alot more than I should... sure, Xykon is still inexplicably powerful, but the comic has veered away from the direction it seemed doomed to go at the end of the last issue. It stuck with one inconsistency (Xykon's lvl), even beefing him up more to justify it, while giving Ganeron and Jephton the respect they deserved and freeing them of the splice before defeat. V actually fights a little smarter, Xykon gets a bunch of items to defray the difference in power further, and it was much less forced than the last issue... so, what lvl is Xykon now? It seems to keep getting pushed higher...

13. - Top - End - #13

Ouch. Not that it wasn't inevitable but... poor V. Wonder if he'll get away from this

The only good news is that the soul splice is ended now, so V's soul won't be damned any more.

PS: Yeah, it's funny how Tsukiko's slippers match her eyes.
    Adventurer from birth till death.

14. - Top - End - #14

Planetar

The banter was funny, as was pigtail chick's doll.

I continued to be a bit disappointed by the action itself, so I guess I will just wait until the story becomes less rules-intensive again.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

That was awesome on so many levels It's good to see Xykon being restored to the top of the food chain again - after him being absent for so long and V committing acts that rivalled his in both power and atrocity, I'm happy that it's been made clear again who the real boss is.

I have to admit, though, I didn't expect V to fail that hard. It was obvious he had to fail somehow - you don't let one of your main characters trump the main villain in power halfway through the story - but I would have expected him to put up a better fight. He acted like a complete moron and was owned by Xykon on every level - even verbally, and, with a little help from Redcloak, tactically, both fields where you'd think V should excel.

I'm curious to see what happens next. I really hope V doesn't die (we already had that plotline, and it's been frustrating the first time), but it seems pretty inevitable to me. Redcloak might try to save V for interrogation, but I don't think Xykon will see reason in this case - V did try to scratch his rep, after all. Neither O-Chul nor the MitD could hope to save anyone from the lich, and the Order is far away. Maybe it's time for Aarindarius to finally make an entrance? It seems logical to me that Kyrie would look to V's former master for advice after witnessing his transformation, so it's possible A (perhaps epic level himself, seeing how V and the fiends trusted him to single-handedly pown the dragon) knows what has happened. I wouldn't sit idly if I were him, and if V ever needed his master's advice, it's right now.
    "Sacrifing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

16. - Top - End - #16

RedWizardGuy

Am I the only one who's interested in figuring out how much xp Xykon got for winning?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

how much exp would he get? Exp from all three (splice) or just V? Or just V's old level? Or V's Splice level?

Also...Bye bye V :(
    Last edited by Dublock; 2009-05-14 at 09:26 AM.
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Attack the main villain in his lair without scrying beforehand or making the least vestige of a plan? V *deserved* to lose. I'd have been disappointed and angry if he won. The same reason I was angry when Xykon owned the Sapphire Guard. Because X then, like V now, was reckless and overconfident in his power.
    I wouldn't call making the bouncy ball beforehand going unprepared. It was a grossly unorthodox plan, yeah, but for Xykon, even this amount of planning is a great feat.
    I hate dancing, but for your grave I can make an exception.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Dublock View Post
    how much exp would he get? Exp from all three (splice) or just V? Or just V's old level? Or V's Splice level?

Also...Bye bye V :(

edit: First time on the first page :D

This would be frightening...
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

So, rocks fall Vaarsuvius dies?

Well at least he can take solace in how arcane magical power was proven to be superior... just not the power V was wielding.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Things look bad for V. Short of a Deus ex Machina, there's nothing the Order could theoretically cast that could retrieve h**. The only thing that could snatch her is a Conjuration (Calling) Spell, and there are no Cleric or Bard spells of a low enough level that Durkon or Elan could cast.

For the record, I will not complain if a Deus ex Machina does rescue V. I think (s)he's been curbstomped enough to get the message, and I don't think we're due for another long-term split of the Order, even if it is a 5-1 split.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Now, it turns out that any and all preparations by V would be pointless - first Epic Spell from Xykon turns out to be a dispelling one - as if Giant decided to kick all these inane protection schemes floating on the forum

That, plus another 11th spell slot - sorry, V was dumb to even try. Honestly, I loved the inclusion of the grappling hand and disintegration - two most shouted end-all-V-victory-spells turned out to be useless, just as I hoped

So, we now have depowered V along with Xykon with a lot more XPs? Ouch. I don't see how V will get out of this one, nor I want V to.

Oh, and I loved Xykon doll, Tsukiko banter, and that finishing line that literally crushed V

One question to Giant, though - if it turns out that Xykon's lack of battle damage was a mistake, does this mean that V's lack of battle damage during that Black Dragon battle was a mistake as well? The circumstances seem to be the same, but there are (not mentioned) ways for V to not receive any damage - so, was that a mistake as well or just some hidden protection on V's part?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava ę ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Holllly....Ccccrraaaappp......XXxxyyykkkonnn....bu hbubbeat Ssssuuuppper vvvaaaarrrsssuuvvviussss....innnn....aa..dispel... ..cccheckkk.
    "No extra charge!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeptCloak View Post
    so, what lvl is Xykon now? It seems to keep getting pushed higher...
    How so? He's STILL done NOTHING that a level 21 Sorcerer Liche with two metamagic rods or sudden metamagic feats and Epic Spell for his only feat would have any trouble with, and sudden metamagic is a pretty good set of feats for a sorcerer. If you insist that he can only have one rod and that sudden metamagic doesn't exist then level 23 will still do fine.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Wow... I never thought I'd see something like that...superb dispelling... wow.

I also liked the fact that the splices were gamely sticking by V... until shi got hit in the entire body by a really big rock...

It was also fun to return to the motto "sometimes ya just have to do it the old-fashioned way"-- all these high-level spells being thrown around (superb-frickin'-dispel (!!) (on a plane (!!) )), and the actual method of breaking the remaining splices is not one of them, or even Xykon's witty repartee, but a really big rock.

Ha.

Glad to see Tsuiko, with her dolly and slippers, also nice to see her have no particular effect on the battle, because she's really still an up-and-comer, but nobody, at the level they were fighting at.

Wonder if V will survive somehow (even though if shi did, shi's captured and at the enemy's mercy), or if this is the "great loss". And it certainly would be... so many regrets to die with, not to mention "the other shoe" that is yet to drop in terms of the fiends' deal....

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Ouch, massive plot in the last few strips. Particularly the idea that V's power (ultimate though it may be) simply isn't enough without the smarts to use it properly.
    also, first page!
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

great i love splatting elves !!!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

While I knew V wasn't going to be successful, I didn't expect that complete a stomping.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

V looks astoundingly helpless and powerless in that last panel.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Splices gone, nearly dead, and with Xykon right there...

Those of you who mentioned V turning this fight around: You lost the bet.

Also, gotta love Xykon's motivations for a complete crushing of a target.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.