New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default [3.5] Creating New Spell

I'm running a 3.5 campaign, and one of my players has expressed interest in creating his own spells. The one he suggested to me today is Lesser Acidic Illusion, a 1st level spell that creates an illusion of a small object, only to burn someone with acidic damage when touched.

So far I've got:
    Conjuration (Creation) [Acid]/ Illusion (Figment)
    Level: Sor/Wiz 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium?
    Effect: created object shaped from acid, disguised as normal object of type
    Duration: hour/level?
    Saving Throw: Will to disbelief? Reflex for half?
    Spell Resistance: No
    Damage: 1d4 + 1/level acid damage for every round object is touched/held? Max level 15?
    Is this balanced? If not, help me balance it please~

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, it's a dual-school spell, like those from PHII
    Last edited by 3Power; 2009-05-16 at 10:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Creating New Spell

Change the school to Illusion (Shadow). It's not a conjuration disguised by an illusion, it's an actual illusion that just happens to be real enough to actually do damage. Dual school spells are silly and should never have been invented.

A will save to realise it's a (Shadow) spell would work. A Reflex save for half damage after touching it might also work fine.

The damage looks fine for a first-level spell, as long as the target can let go of it as soon as possible.

You'll want to define what sort of object the spell can create. A floor would be far too powerful, for instance.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2009-05-16 at 10:46 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Will disbelief I can understand, but reflex half? I mean, you're going to drop it the round after you pick it up, so a reflex save in the first round doesn't make much sense to me. It also makes the spell a bit weaker too, as they get a save to ignore its effects, then a save to lessen its effects. If they had a 50% chance of taking full damage, it's now only 25%. Damage seems a bit low, as it relies on the creature taking initiative and picking up the object, rather than automatic damage, no attack roll, no save, like Magic Missile

You might want to specify how much space the created item can take up, as otherwise you'll end up with a continent-spannning wall made out of illusory acid. I agree with Yuki about the school, as well. Apart from that, it looks fine.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I don't read the first post. Or the title of the thread. Or anything in the thread to be honest. I just post random words and hope it all makes potato.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malacode View Post
    Will disbelief I can understand, but reflex half? I mean, you're going to drop it the round after you pick it up, so a reflex save in the first round doesn't make much sense to me.
    You're touching it with the palm of your fingers or the palm of your hand prior to getting a full grip. Reflex save denotes noticing the start of the burn prior to getting a full grip on it.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki
    Change the school to Illusion (Shadow). It's not a conjuration disguised by an illusion, it's an actual illusion that just happens to be real enough to actually do damage.
    Nope, he wants it to be actual acid. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    You'll want to define what sort of object the spell can create. A floor would be far too powerful, for instance.
    He personally specified nothing larger than a cubic foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    You're touching it with the palm of your fingers or the palm of your hand prior to getting a full grip. Reflex save denotes noticing the start of the burn prior to getting a full grip on it.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacode
    Will disbelief I can understand, but reflex half? I mean, you're going to drop it the round after you pick it up, so a reflex save in the first round doesn't make much sense to me. It also makes the spell a bit weaker too, as they get a save to ignore its effects, then a save to lessen its effects. If they had a 50% chance of taking full damage, it's now only 25%. Damage seems a bit low, as it relies on the creature taking initiative and picking up the object, rather than automatic damage, no attack roll, no save, like Magic Missile
    So maybe an increase of damage to make up for the two saves, say to 2d4?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3Power View Post
    I'm running a 3.5 campaign, and one of my players has expressed interest in creating his own spells. The one he suggested to me today is Lesser Acidic Illusion, a 1st level spell that creates an illusion of a small object, only to burn someone with acidic damage when touched.

So far I've got:

Is this balanced? If not, help me balance it please~

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, it's a dual-school spell, like those from PHII
    Dual school is fine as long as you know the rules for it. They can do confusing stuff. I would make duration 1 minute/level and the save be reflex for half. I think you could safely up the damage to 1d6 rather than 1d4 since you need to actively trick someone into picking it up.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Dual school spells are still silly. Especially in cases like this where there are already subschools that do this sort of thing.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Dual school spells are still silly. Especially in cases like this where there are already subschools that do this sort of thing.
    I'll try not to take that personally. Just wait until you see what I have planned for GREATER Acidic Illusion.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

tThe main thing I would change is max +1 damage to 5 or 10. Not 15, this is a level one spell.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep." - Ben Franklen

Much praise to Ceika for the avatar!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidwhirl View Post
    I'll try not to take that personally. Just wait until you see what I have planned for GREATER Acidic Illusion.
    You should take it personally.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    tThe main thing I would change is max +1 damage to 5 or 10. Not 15, this is a level one spell.
    The main thing I would change is to drag this thread to Homebrew, where it belongs.

Come, dark tendrils of the Homebrew board! Seize this fledgling spell and take it into the nightmare realm! Yeah, PM'd a mod.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    You should take it personally.
    Nah, I insist on your right to your opinion. This spell is kinda silly. How many times will this honestly be useful? Couple that with how likely it is I'll prepare it for that day, and you have a generally worthless, yet funny parlor trick.

Now, if the caster could decide when it starts dealing damage, then it would be way better. However, good things like that need extra limitations, and probably a higher spell level... Or a new metamagic feat that delays aspects of a spell.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Why make it an illusion?

Conjuration : Create the item. Limit it to max +5 damage, as is standard for a first-level spell.

Just add "Duration : 1hour/level until picked up, then persists until dropped, to a maximum of one round/level".
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    I agree a cap would be more balanced.