New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: OOTS #654 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Noooooo!!!! Not the Fiendish Cockroach! He has all the best lines!

Oh well, at least there's one more left skittering around somewhere.

What are those things anyway? They're not a summons, because they've been around too long. Maybe they're Xykon's familiars (though if so it'd more then enough hit points to survive one hit, and I have no clue how Xykon could get more then one, both of which with the fiendish template).
    The fiendish cockroaches started following Xykon around after Xykon and Redcloak had coffee at an evil diner. They've been following them around ever since then. (All detailed in Start of Darkness...)
    "I am a sexy shoeless god of war!!!" --OOTS #439

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Darn it I nearly cried at work again. I got to remember never to check the site at work or at least not read the comic.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    So... what's O-Chul up to?

Zevox
    His plan is probably two fold. The short term plan is to provide enuf of a distraction to allow V to escape. V isn't exactly chump change on the Important Power Players of the World Hierarchy. And if V escapes (and he and O'Chul do significant damage to Team Evil while doing so) then that is a net plus for the forces of good.*

The longer term plan is probably much more important, however. It's clear that O'Chul has been working on the MitD's psyche for a long long time. So he is hoping that his example/actions will drive a wedge between the MitD and Team Evil. It's a wedge that might not be fully realized today or even tomorrow. But by planting the seed today, O'Chul is hoping that one day, perhaps in the distant future, perhaps not, the MitD will break with Team Evil.

And from what we've seen of the raw power of the MitD, that would be a significant setback for their plans.

Is O'Chul's plan going to work? We probably won't know for a good long while. But it's probably the best option that O'Chul had at handing Team Evil a huge setback. Even if it takes hundreds of strips to realize.

* Well it would be if it weren't for the long term plans of the IFCC, but O'Chul doesn't know about that small detail.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    Right now is likely a pretty dangerous time to be making predictions. We know Xykon is going to survive, but that's about it. O-Chul should have zero chance here. He's only about 10th level. [He was inferior to both Miko and Hinjo.] He's fighting without armor and with only an improvised weapon.
    Right, he WAS inferior. But he has been running the gauntlet for 4 months now, and winning, I think he is probably 13th - 14th level now.

It could be interesting........
    Bard with the self-discipline of a kitten on cocaine....
    The "Tiny Firebreathing Avatar of Death!" himself!

I am a Neutral Good Human Bard/Wizard (6th/4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 18
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 16

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Anyone else notice the "Suburst"?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    His plan is probably two fold. The short term plan is to provide enuf of a distraction to allow V to escape. V isn't exactly chump change on the Important Power Players of the World Hierarchy. And if V escapes (and he and O'Chul do significant damage to Team Evil while doing so) then that is a net plus for the forces of good.*

The longer term plan is probably much more important, however. It's clear that O'Chul has been working on the MitD's psyche for a long long time. So he is hoping that his example/actions will drive a wedge between the MitD and Team Evil. It's a wedge that might not be fully realized today or even tomorrow. But by planting the seed today, O'Chul is hoping that one day, perhaps in the distant future, perhaps not, the MitD will break with Team Evil.

And from what we've seen of the raw power of the MitD, that would be a significant setback for their plans.

Is O'Chul's plan going to work? We probably won't know for a good long while. But it's probably the best option that O'Chul had at handing Team Evil a huge setback. Even if it takes hundreds of strips to realize.

* Well it would be if it weren't for the long term plans of the IFCC, but O'Chul doesn't know about that small detail.
    Best explanation we've seen so far.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Am I the only person who thinks that maybe the creature in the darkness will finally come out soon? Maybe because of something that happened during his time with Ochull?
    Last edited by Silent Ninja; 2009-05-18 at 03:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ohgoshohgoshogoshogosh!

Definate twang from the heart strings there. Please don't die O-Chul! *sniff*
    Avatar by me...yup that's how good my drawing is. As in not very good.

Crack-Pairings, Not Dead Just Moved. Someone Hasn't Been Looking In The Right Places.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleniel View Post
    Taekwondodo - your nick and your avatar are terrific. I want to award you something... how about enough melons to see you through the next ice age?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well I know what I learned. Don't be a hero!
    For another fantasy webcomic with Dungeons and Dragons, read Heroes of Lesser Earth now, before it becomes cool and everyone starts doing it!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by appending_doom View Post
    Nevertheless, it's a heartwarming moment in the relationship between man and beast (or man and man, as O-Chul, despite being a paladin, still has the OoTS-verse speciesism bred into him, and can't imagine a creature being good without having to make it human).
    You missed the point so much I can only hope this is sarcasm. In Start of Darkness a goblin high priest call Redcloak a man and I'm sure you could find dozens of other example in the comic. A man is not a term that apply only to human. Hell, one argument against human I often see in fantasy is their name «human, its like they think they are the only man around here». This is how most people define man and manliness.

The point here wasnt that O-chul think the MiTD is a human, the point is that he think hes not a monster but an honorable person. Geez.
    In memory of lord Shojo

11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground

Theory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can the MitD be an Good/Angel/Light Beeing w/ amnesia and an low INT? And the darkness desing as an form of restrain? That would be an good reason for his desire for light/sunburst. Or maybe our yeloww sun give him superpowers....
    *remember, english is not my mother language, heck, it's not even my aunt language, well maybe my 3rd degree cousin language

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Problem: how on earth would he recognize V? Even Haley barely did, and she was the member of the Order closest to V. And what would possess him to think that distracting Xykon briefly will allow V to escape, when she's in the heart of a city controlled by Hobgoblins and patrolled by the Undead, and is in a terrible condition from her fight with Xykon? No, it doesn't seem logical for him to be trying that.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #103

Server seems to be holding up pretty well.
    Avatar by me...yup that's how good my drawing is. As in not very good.

Crack-Pairings, Not Dead Just Moved. Someone Hasn't Been Looking In The Right Places.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleniel View Post
    Taekwondodo - your nick and your avatar are terrific. I want to award you something... how about enough melons to see you through the next ice age?

14. - Top - End - #104

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Taekwondodo View Post
    Server seems to be holding up pretty well.
    *Server crashes*

You jinxed it!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nothing better than a new OotS comic just before I go to bed [over 10pm here]!
    I think this is the time that we've been waiting for.. MitD is going to reveal himself. And he actually remembered Mr. Stiffly's real name... nice.
    On the left side of my brain, there's nothing right. On the right side, there's nothing left!
    ~
    I have a D20 around my neck, and I'm not afraid to use it!
    I use it in Ptolus based campaign.
    Also THIS is my character.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    ...I think I'm almost ready to convert to Mannryuism over here...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    And this is why Mannryuism ROCKS! We get bewbs. ^^
    I mean, art.
    ...Well, both, actually...

16. - Top - End - #106

O-Chul is the one who is acting as a paladin is supposed to act.

I don't really want to speculate on what will happen next. O-Chul will probably die and V escape. Or they both die. But the MitD is on a good way on being a good guy. He called O-Chul on his name: it means he is coming to his senses?
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

17. - Top - End - #107

Problem: how on earth would he recognize V?
    V's red again.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

One of my favorite strips to date. Definitely my favorite that doesn't feature one of our six heroes. Heroics, honor, friendship, character growth, and a poop joke. The five-pointed star of good storytelling.
    I have a webcomic about a commando and a bear! Jack & Voytek

19. - Top - End - #109

Dun dun DUNNN!!!

Well, the server seems to be running along swimmingly so far.

And so begins about four to ten years of theories claiming "the MitD literally is "a good man" and the reveal will be anticlimactic because he's just an ordinary human".

Hmm. Is it important that the demon roach just disappeared when O-Chul stabbed him?

So, let's see. O-Chul thinks now is the time for action, when V has just been pwned by Xykon. He's going to do his duty, "my obligation to my dead comrades and my late Lord." And he's charging in with the bar as a spear like a jouster.

Spoiler
    Show
    It seems obvious that he's out to take on Xykon, but if Uber-V couldn't topple Xykon O-Chul certainly can't. O-Chul may think Xykon is just weakened by using a lot of high-level spells and hopes that together with V they can at least slow him down. Or his real target is Redcloak or Tsukiko.

Hmm... he mentioned his late Lord, and though he doesn't know the details he should know Shojo wasn't killed by Team Evil. Is he listening to his inner Miko and going out to finish off Vaarsuvius?

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Time to put the new server to the test: A new OOTS on a Monday afternoon.
    Seems to be running well.

The strip..
    *sniff*
    *choke*

BWAAAAAAAA

Y'all excuse me. Gonna cry now.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Rich, I don't think people say this often enough. You tell one hell of a story.

22. - Top - End - #112

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wick View Post
    Hmm. Is it important that the demon roach just disappeared when O-Chul stabbed him?
    Fiendish creatures go back to their plane of "birth." You can't really kill them.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

After I finish this post, I shall observe a moment of silence for a good man. Whether he somehow survives this or not, he's more than earned the respect.

Beautiful strip, Giant.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I think that the MITD might have just over come some kind of enfeeblement spell and may suddenly start acting a little more grown up!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    Quick, one of the rules lawyers do the math here. Xykon's already been hurt pretty badly by V's spells and the backlash damage.... Does O-Chul have a chance to take him down with an Improvised Weapon Smite Evil Power Attack?
    Possible, but unlikely.

If he has Leap Attack and some form of Pounce, he could theoretically deal
    [1d4 + (1.5*Str) + (4 *BAB) * (#of attack)] damage. This could be multiplied by something like Rhino's Rush (Paladin spell) or Battle Jump (Unapproachable East) or both. Plus he gets a bit more from Smite Evil, which can be bumped up significantly if he's using the PHBII alternate class feature (he doesn't seem to have a mount). Put that all together, and it could easily be enough to kill a wounded Xykon.

But again, it's unlikely. When he fought Xykon in the throne room, he only had one attack when he Charged (and potentially just one attack per round, period). His To-Hit with an improvised weapon would be low, especially for iterative attacks. And O-Chul is a Fighter X/Paladin Y with poor Charisma, so he's not going to get a ton of extra damage from Smite Evil or mid to high level Paladin spells.

But...
    (PLOT SPECULATION)
    Spoiler
    Show

But destroying his Phylactery could definitely happen.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Problem: how on earth would he recognize V? Even Haley barely did, and she was the member of the Order closest to V. And what would possess him to think that distracting Xykon briefly will allow V to escape, when she's in the heart of a city controlled by Hobgoblins and patrolled by the Undead, and is in a terrible condition from her fight with Xykon? No, it doesn't seem logical for him to be trying that.

Zevox
    V can fly out of the city fairly easily. Well, relatively easily at least. Well, hopefully relatively easily. At the very least, V could try to hide in the city and join up with the resistance (which O'Chul might know about).

And even if O'Chul doesn't recognize V, the long term plan that I mentioned still stands. As for the short term plan, this is still an obviously high level wizard that doesn't like Xykon. So if he can help this stranger escape, then perhaps said wizard can live to fight another day.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2009-05-18 at 03:42 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

Cool comic. "O'Chul!"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

Zombie

"They just brought the bucket around an hour ago."

OMG!

Thank goodness I can type while I can't see cause that line has my laughing so hard I am crying and can't read what happened after it!

29. - Top - End - #119

You know, plotwise, O'Chul really should win. The whole Ultimate Arcane Power isn't everything would look nice with a side order of Paladin Winnage.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it's just O-Chul recognizing that this is his best chance to attack. A fully-powered Xykon would turn him into paste, but he might stand a chance against him now.

And even if he doesn't, he might be attacking to give V a chance to escape. O-Chul might not remember who V is, but even if he doesn't, he probably thinks that anyone willing to take on Xykon is one of the good guys.

In any case, he has very little to lose. I'd rather go down fighting than endure what O-Chul is put through every day.

The calling O-Chul's name was strangely affecting.