Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: Hydra question

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Hydra question

what does the hydra's ability to grow two more heads when one has been cut off count as? extraordinary? supernatural?

it doesnt say anywhere in the MM, other than it can do that...also, is it correct to assume the pyro and cryo version's breath weapon is considered a supernatural ability, because it doesnt say anything about that either

thanks a bunch,
    your friendly neighborhood necromancer
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hydra question

Then its none of them and it just happens?
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

the main reason i want to know is, whether or not they would regain that ability as a zombie/skeleton when Awaken Undead is used on them
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, I would just count it as a sort of extra ability in relation to its Fast Healing ability.
    Which would meant it was Ex (which also makes sense, since it never says antimagic or the like can stop head regrowth).

Also, Breath Weapons are Supernatural unless otherwise stated.
    Breath Weapon link.
    Breath weapons are supernatural abilities except where noted.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2009-05-19 at 02:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Honestly, I would just count it as a sort of extra ability in relation to its Fast Healing ability.
    Which would meant it was Ex (which also makes sense, since it never says antimagic or the like can stop head regrowth).

Also, Breath Weapons are Supernatural unless otherwise stated.
    Breath Weapon link.
    yeah i figured breath weapons were (Su)

edit: so assuming it is just an extension of its fast healing ability, a skeleton hydra would be able to regrow severed heads if it was awakened...which brings me to another question:

lets say the skeleton hydra has a bunch of its heads severed, and now has double its original number...they fall off the next day...would those heads still be animated?
    Last edited by Doresain; 2009-05-19 at 02:12 PM.

-The 13th Warrior

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Probably not by RAW(For the same reason the severed heads aren't still animated), but it is too awesome to not let happen.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2009-05-19 at 02:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

all we need now is an awakened 12-headed skeletal pyrohydra, and we have a near unstoppable killing machine

-The 13th Warrior