New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Detect evil detected 3.X

Hi there, I'd like some advices on a situation that surely going to happen in the next session...

Simply put my players are on a rescue mission in some sort of necropolis city in the abyss. For the occasion, they've been transfered within bodies that would suit their purpose (basically work like a polymorph + su abilities while keeping their own)

Powerfull stuff (Abyss Giant, Acheron's Centaur and so on) but that's not the problem. Fact is the paladin's group is a fan of his at will Detect Evil, and ofc Evil he'll detect.

What I'd like is a simple mean to get the detection attempt detected, spells, class/race abilities but nothing fancy nor too powerfull (they're lvl 7-8 and have easily gained a few ECL from the "polymorph"). It has to be as "natural" as possible.

The city is, obviously, mostly controlled by undeads, so it would help if it comes from one those, but basically anything from the "lower planes" would fit, as long as it's not a buff as hell/class leveled balor ;)
    Last edited by DanReiv; 2009-05-19 at 05:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Detect evil detected 3.X

Detect Magic will spot it
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Mhhh no, its a 1mn/lvl spell with concentrate factor, and you have to focus. It makes no sense that someone/body/thing had it casted exactly when the paladin will make use of it.

Unless it's an at will detect magic ability (in that case I might definitly be interested)

I'd like to keep the option as a wild card, it's not like it will happen with 100% chance to the 1st detect evil attempt.

thx in advance

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Recognizing that a creature is casting Detect Evil is a DC 16 Spellcraft check, according to the SRD. If any mage-type (even a single rank, after all, gives the creature a 25% chance of recognizing it being cast) is around when the paladin casts it, they'll know.
    Fantastic avatar of Alrinach, God of Law, provided by Qwernt!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Recognizing that a creature is casting Detect Evil is a DC 16 Spellcraft check, according to the SRD. If any mage-type (even a single rank, after all, gives the creature a 25% chance of recognizing it being cast) is around when the paladin casts it, they'll know.
    Or at least they will know that something was cast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Permanent Arcane Sight will allow the creature under it's effect to see the divination aura. Other than that, Vatic Gaze is avaiable to any creature with an arcane caster level of 9 (all spell-like abilities are arcane) and allows use of Detect Magic at will.

Two levels of warlock would also work on the detect magic at will vein.

Also, Paladin Detect Evil is a spell-like ability, you can't spellcraft those. They have no components.
    Last edited by Draken; 2009-05-19 at 07:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Another alternative being that he actually can become overwhelmed by the sheer amount of evil he's detecting, maybe a will save to be shaken somehow then fort save to determine whether he becomes nauseous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DanReiv View Post
    Mhhh no, its a 1mn/lvl spell with concentrate factor, and you have to focus. It makes no sense that someone/body/thing had it casted exactly when the paladin will make use of it.

Unless it's an at will detect magic ability (in that case I might definitly be interested)
    Detect Magic can be made permanent for 500xp by a 9th level caster.