New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 871
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SilverClawShift's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Intermission from the middle of our campaign.

    Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    Basically, it sounds like when something fun or interesting is possible, the rules bend to accommodate.

    This is, of course, how it ought to be.
    Exactly. The rules are important, to an extent. But ultimately the rules are nothing more than a framework attempting to give you insight into the world that's taking place on your table.
    If the rules are getting in the way of the best course of action, then the first thing you do as a DM is burn the rules while chanting a holy ritual and let the best course of action take place.

    Nothing should ever, ever get in the way of your having a good time, D20 be damned.

  2. - Top - End - #392
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Eldrys's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    SCS, when does your group meet? I can only be on the computer for about a 30 minutes every week now that our computer stopped working, and I want to know when to check for updates.

    ^ninja. What does intermission mean? does it mean your group won't be meeting for a while?
    Last edited by Eldrys; 2009-06-27 at 07:56 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SilverClawShift's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    Well he should so that the rest of us can copy his amazing abilities and pass them off as our own!
    Sorry to double post, tbut this isn't actually that difficult! It's just a matter of understanding what the numbers really mean.

    10 STR is a normal human. Grab an average looking man or woman off the street. They have STR 10.

    14 STR is a lot. Not excessive, but this is the friend you call to help you move your refridgerator when you have a new apartment. This is the "Why is my end of the couch higher than yours?" friend.

    18 STR is an olypmic dead-lifter. He can lift more than you can, and can prove it after a little warm up. He'll pull a bus with his teeth if enough cameras are pointed at him.

    20 STR plus is ridiculous. It starts getting more and more severe, but a 20 STR man can lift two normal men while playing a harmonica. Hercules is 26 STR or so, where is you a punch a rock, you EXPECT it to crumble to dust, and are confused when it doesn't.

    30+ STR is where you start punching trains and watching them crumble around you.

    Just get a general guage on a cahracters weight to Strength ratio and go from there.

    The same applies to other stats, just with different results and conclusions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldar Ditto View Post
    SCS, when does your group meet? I can only be on the computer for about a 30 minutes every week now that our computer stopped working, and I want to know when to check for updates.

    ^ninja. What does intermission mean? does it mean your group won't be meeting for a while?
    Intermission means we're taking a food/conversation break from the game. We meet every tuesday and saturday night, unless scheduling moves those days around a little

    Which means updates SHOULD be un sunday and wednesday, USA central time, but I can't make any promises about how much time I have to write and post.
    Last edited by SilverClawShift; 2009-06-27 at 08:02 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #394
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Eldrys's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    Intermission means we're taking a food/conversation break from the game.


    We meet every tuesday and saturday night, unless scheduling moves those days around a little
    Awwwww lucky. your one of those nifty groups who meets both regularly and frequently. I envy you.
    Last edited by Eldrys; 2009-06-27 at 08:08 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deth Muncher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Virginia

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldar Ditto View Post
    Awwwww lucky. your one of those nifty groups who meets both regularly and frequently. I envy you.
    Seconded. My campaign has pretty much died, so now I'm drifting, campaignless...
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

  6. - Top - End - #396
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SilverClawShift's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    We were friends long before any of us considered playing D&D. I think it was actually our Dragon Shamans player who said it might be fun, even though it was geeky.
    It was around the time Lord of the Rings was announced that we all started really taking it more seriously. We all wanted to be elves, FYI.

    Our DM, being the one of the group with the greatest long-term vision, read up on things and amde the rest of us play an NPC class only game.

    The rest is history

    Now we meet to play roelplaying games instead of meeting to watch movies.

  7. - Top - End - #397
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Xin-Shalast
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Mmm! In that case, when you go back, tell him some weird guy on the internet is drinking to his health.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GreatWyrmGold's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In a castle under the sea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
    Did Sheogorath pay a visit to you recently GreatWyrmGold?
    No. When saying the warlock wasn't a heroine (or, rather, hinting at it), I was pointing out her EVILNESS. It's sometimes BLATENT EVIL coming your way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Although... he is on to something in describing SCS as heroin...
    Huh? I added the "e"...

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    Sorry to double post...
    Playing Call of Cthulu again? Need I ressurect my joke about not zombifying me after implying that your warlock is insane?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

    Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

    Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

  9. - Top - End - #399
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheCountAlucard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Mmm! In that case, when you go back, tell him some weird guy on the internet is drinking to his health.
    Fixed it for you!

  10. - Top - End - #400
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Xin-Shalast
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Huh? I added the "e"...
    And I fixed it for you. SCS, heroin, addiction, storytelling, heroin, addiction, storytelling. You see what I'm getting at here?

    ...

    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Back from Sunken Valley!

    Apparently, I'm supposed to post something about warning the warlock not to come tomorrow...I'd probably understand better if I could remember something from my trip...
    =

    ...

    *just realized what SCS's avatar was of*
    *feels dumb*
    *But finally knows why it reminded him vaguely of hotness*
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-06-28 at 09:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  11. - Top - End - #401
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Lilienthal's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    No. When saying the warlock wasn't a heroine (or, rather, hinting at it), I was pointing out her EVILNESS. It's sometimes BLATENT EVIL coming your way.
    They meant your second sentence, which makes about as much sense as a toddler on PCP.
    The key to wisdom is to have strong opinions, weakly held.

  12. - Top - End - #402
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SilverClawShift's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    So this will be update twelve on my campaign.

    To start the session, we let the DM know about our finalized character sheets and sent him the updated ones to bring us up to level 10. I opted for the Walk Unseen as my newest invocation, because being able to fly and be invisible for 24 hours a day is basically what makes Warlocks so deliciously warlockish.

    Then we resumed our campaign exactly as we had left off. The four of us (and our undead dragon) are standing on a giant stone platform, with the bitterest of the bitter artic winds whipping us over. We're stuck facing four doorways leading to "question mark", and a hatch we're afraid to open. And all of it relies on a magical mirror that we can't see them without.
    What do normal deity-fearing adventurers do in this situation?


    Where To?
    Spoiler
    Show

    "Send the kobold first"

    Our reasoning is that he's smaller, sneakier, and faster than the rest of us will ever be by a long shot. He's going to trot through one of the doorways real quick. Just into the room and back, and tell us the scoop from the other side. If he can't get back at all, the plan is for him to go into hardcore-stealth-mode and try to find a way back to central island, one way or another (up to and including hijacking a rowboat and braving the open seas alone, though that's obviously the last on the list of options) while the rest of us do an about-face in the artic.
    One way or another, we've established that me and the Dragon Shaman aren't going through the doorway. I don't want to leave my small undead army (not to mention the heap of trea-sha! we found here), and the Dragon Shaman doesn't want to abandon his ship to the icy waters. We feel we might be hamstringing ourself here, but we aren't so quick to give up our stuff if there's a way to avoid it.

    So the kobold takes the magic mirror and hops through the doorway (we picked north, no real reason). He goes through, takes a quick look around the room both with and without the mirror, and comes back our way. He's allready established a few things. The doorway leads to a plain stone room with only one doorway in our out. The noteworthy thing about the single doorway is that, WITH the mirror it becomes a portal to the platform. Without the mirror, the doorway just leads to the rest of the structure. The second thing he established?
    Kobold: Yeah, it's defiantely a ziggarut. The doorway out led to a giant stone chamber, they're getting relatively familiar looking. I don't think it's either of the ones we've been to either.
    Dragon Shaman: How could you tell?
    Kobold: Well it wasn't full of giant murderous bugs. They might have cleared out of the jungle ziggarut, but I didn't see any insects at all. A few would have hung around, right?
    Swashbuckler: Could you tell where in the world it was? Like by temperature?
    Dragon Shaman: It'd probably be hard to guage something like that inside a giant stone structure, especially if it's mostly underground. Especially because he's used to the whole "spit freezes in midair" temperature we're in right now.
    Swashbuckler: But if it's really humid, like a jungle, as opposed to a desert?
    Kobold: Ref?
    DM: You couldn't tell.
    Kobold: That's that then.

    So we send the kobold through the other three, very scientifically. What he guages is that, the one on the west probably IS the jungle ziggarut. It's got a lot of strange looking insects crawling around, that he avoided irritating by being able to hide in plain sight. The one to the south is like the one to the north. More old cobwebs and dust than any real activity. They haven't seen any use (at least, not like the other two). When he goes through the one on the east and looks around, he immediately comes tumbling back through the doorway to inform us that the east ziggaurt is clearly the desert one, because it's brimming with black onyx bugs covered in golden runes.
    We're torn between examining that one first, and not bothering to examine it at all. We're curious as to what happened in the wake of our departure, but at the same time, "bugs everywhere oh god get them off".
    We know what to expect of the jungle ziggarut, so our plans it to examine the other two, find out where they are and what's the dealie-yo, and then double back and check out the Drifters base and see if we can't find anything relevant there. Once we have everything figured out, we'll come back to the artic platform, grab our dragon, and head out and see how the world's been faring against the swarm of black onyx bugs. If we can establish where the other two ziggaruts are, we can tuck our ship somewhere safer, knowing we have alternate means of travel.


    North
    Spoiler
    Show

    We press into the northern ziggarut. It looks to follow the same layout as the other two, but things look to be in different condition here. The main chamber was full of rotten wooden rubble, which closer examination revealed to look like a collapsed wooden walk (or specifically, a whole series of collapsed wooden walkways laying on top of each other). Nothing was living in the wooden rubble, we saw no rodents or insects.
    More noteworthy was the pillars. Everywhere in the chamber were great stone pillars ring with human sized boxes...obviously coffins. There were hundereds in this chamber alone. The coffin thing made us a tiny bit uneasy, but nevertheless, we were hit with a sense of calm peace. This seemed to truly be a resting place. The kobold did a knowledge (history) check, but came up with nothing. A knowledge (religion) check did verify that the place was consecrated though.
    The dragon shaman sighed, smiled, and said "good place to be". We all generally agreed, me included, if only because it meant we weren't in any real immediate danger. As we explored, some of the coffins did seem to be rotted open, but the skeletons inside were just collapsed peacefully in place. The swashbuckler commented that this would be a great place to return to when he leveled again, as he'd instantly have 20 skeleton warriors (and taking "Practiced Spellcast" for his archivist levels after that would let him have 40 HD of undead minions). The dragon shaman asked if he was honestly okay with regularily raiding a consecrated tomb, but the Swashbuckler said "Trying to save the world, ect, ect".

    We checked the rest of the ziggarut. The other rooms were more of the same. Lined up and down with coffins, all with no name and no noticeable markings or explenation as to what they were. When we reached the ziggaruts exit, we found that it was sealed shut with stone. With great team effort, we managed to move the stone door...only to find a wlal of dirt. This ziggarut, wherever it was, was apparently buried. We decided that in a few levels, we would set a small team of skeletons digging a tunnel out and up, but for now there was no sense scrabbling through the dirt.
    In fact, depending on where the Southern doorway led, we might rather keep this ziggarut buried and sealed off... a secret and foritified location that we could use as a base, and the foundation of an undead army if it came to that... it occured to the Kobold Factotum that in one more level, HE'LL be able to cast Animate Dead too, to which the Dragon Shaman replied with an exasperated "Really? We're ALL going to be necromancers except for me, really?".
    The Factotum doesn't necessarily want to be a necronmancer (especially when it comes to raiding blessed tombs) but is of the mind that we need to pick up any advantage we can, and having an army of 120+ skeleton warriors is not something to ignore outright.
    The Dragon Shaman agreed not to burn any of us to death over the issue, but has gone on record to say the idea makes him feel uncomfortable.

    So we returned to the portal room, exited the ziggarut back into the biting artic winds.


    South
    Spoiler
    Show

    We entered less cautiously, feeling airy and calm from the sealed, blessed, and consecrated tomb. When we walked through the portal to the southernmost ziggarut though... well, we felt an instant weight drop on our shoulders. The Factotum did another knowledge (religion) check to reveal... yes... just as the other ziggarut had been consecrated, this one was indeed desecrated. I chuckled and mentioned something about this being useful too, because we could drag corpses to it to make our undead more powerful. The Dragon shaman glared, but nodded and said it was numerically sound for us, and it wasn't OUR fault the place was desecrated and unholy.
    We pressed on, being a little more careful than before. Whatever made this place unholy was probably not going to be to our liking... which we discovered was very true when we exited into the great chamber that apparently all ziggaruts have, only to find a giant throne on a pile of human skulls, and what looked for all the world like a giant mummy sitting calmly on it. A closer spot checked revealed the mummy to be an ogre who'd been wrapped and bandaged and properly treated in a funerary procession.
    An Ogre Mummy. Adventurers don't have "lucky days", but this was the opposite of lucky. A mummified ogre? Great.

    And as we're processing how screwed we are, the ogre mummy just lets out a harsh gravely whisper, the first word spoke by dried vocal chords in god knows how many centuries: "Why are you here?"
    We all sit in akward silence for a minute, hoping the kobold will say something clever (in real life. He's our best roleplayer, hands down), when the SWASHBUCKLER (great player, weaker on the roleplaying) says "we're just poking around, sorry".
    Our whole table just stares at him, before the dragon shaman says "We're just poking around? Really? you reached down, and that was what you pulled up?"
    The ogre mummy doesn't move, and just replies "Weary. Rest. Never Rest." before going into some kind of fugue and saying "rest, rest, rest, rest" over and over. As we look around, we see corpses, looking dessicated but still intact... somewhere between a zombie and a skeleton, crawling around on the walls and glaring at us with somehow still-intact eyeballs. Some of them lick their lips. They look eager and full of hate.

    Dragon Shaman: Okay... anyone have a spell that'll get us out of this situation?
    Kobold: Not high enough level yet
    Swashbuckler: I mostly stab and heal
    Me: All of my powers are self only, and nothing helps here.
    Dragon Shaman: ...these things are going to attack us. That much is obvious to anyone. Maybe WE should make the first move here?
    *akward pause*
    Me: Eldritch Spear, Mummy, Face. *rolls 7d6*

    So my character makes her attack move, which by this point in the campaign i've decided is the "Rock On" hand gesture with an underarmed swing. The mummy takes a good rolls worth of damage, 30ish, and roars with a kind of dry high pitched whine through aforementioned unused vocal chords. At that, skelezombies start dropping off the ceiling and pouncing off the walls in attack mode.

    Our immediate assesment as seasoned adventurers is "HOLY CRAP RUN FOR COVER", which we do. The kobold springs his ridiculous move rate towards the exit to the rest of the ziggarut, hoping he can find a reasonable choke point for the swarm of wall-crawling skelezombies (our DM never named them, i'm guessing they were one of his little "I'm making this up, I am god" type monsters). The Dragon Shaman and me both fly, dodgin falling concious corpses, and, like the cowards we are, we leave our True-Striking swashbuckler on the ground by himself. In our defense, he's the most likely to fight through a crowd of the walking dead, which he proves by actually doing so with little trouble while the rest of us cover his movement with eldrith blasts, cones of fire, and the Kobold even broke out some of the spellcasting gems we harvested from the bugs to thin out the crowds on the Swashbucklers path to catch up.
    Wether suicidal tendencies or tactical genius, we found an unoccupied room and used the choke point of the doorway to hack at the Skelezombies while they swarmed in at us, We couldn't take them all out, as they spilled into the room and gave us a decent fight, but we clearly had the upper hand. That is, we HAD the upper hand until the Skelezombie squeezing thru started outnumbering us AND the ogre mummy started squeezing through the door,
    The fight got ugly, but with me sticking to the ceiling (mostly out of range, though some of the skelezombies could jump and hit me), the dragon shaman torching cones worth of the undead creatures, and the Kobold being wise and sticking to support and boosting the occasional attack or damage roll (while the swashbuckler naturally cleaved his way through anything that got close to him), we were doing allright. The mummy got in a really good lick on the Swashbuckler and sent him sprawling into the far wall and into negatives, but his healing familiar tucked him back up to positives and his next action was to cast Enlarge Person on himself and charge back at the mummy with a rigtheous roar.
    The Dragon Shaman wound up directing his cone of fire breath at the mummy and hacking at the undead harrasing him. All in all, we took some solid licks, but we managed to kill the entire group like seasoned adventurers should. Without the choke point it might have been a different story, but we beat them into the stonework all the same.

    It was when we were all leaning against the walls, catching our breath and re-assessing the situation, we noticed some of the skelezombies we hacked up starting to...twitch. it took a passed spot roll to notice, but really subtly, we could see movement coming from the first ones who had dropped. By the time we were up and ready to react, the first of the fallen had started making a haggered hacking coughing noise and returning to unlife.
    This place wasn't just desecrated. It was...more intense than that. The dead did not rest here.
    We started fighting again, but when the Ogre mummy started making the same haggered coughing noise, we realized how bad our situation was. Rather than fighting an eternal and peretually losing battle, we retreated further up towards the normal ziggarut exit. We found it rather suddenly, when the dragon shaman wrenched open the stone doorways to the outside only to be hit with a blast of heat so intense that it forced the rest of the party back away from it (even with endure elements up). The dragon shaman leaned out, being immune to fire, and smirked a little.
    The ziggarut was built against an active volcano (probably magically warded against being destroyed by it). The Dragon Shaman looked back at our party from the doorway leading out to the open air (the open superheated air with a pool of lava at the bottom) and said a single word. "Hide".

    The rest of us, seeing where he was going with this, tucked into the nearest rooms and took up the most stealthy positions we could, while our fullplated Dragonborn Dragon Shaman stood in the doorway with his wings outstretched, watching the twitching and slowly rising mass of the undead coming his way. When enough of them were up and shambling, he took a step back off the stone ledge and above the pool of lava, beating his wings.

    Ah. To be totally immune to fire damage.

    He flew backwards against the far wall and clung to it, keeping his eyes dead set on the shambling corpses and occasionally breathgin fire at nothing to look intimidating and violent. The trick worked, and all of the undead marched blindly out over the lede to fight him, only to trip and fall down into a giant pool of molten rock.
    All except the mummy. He stood at the doorway screaming angry (and simple minded) curses across the open volacno cone, at least, up until the Swashbuckler came running out of the room he'd been hiding in and bullrushed the unaware mummy out into the lava.
    The Dragon Shaman flew back to our group, and as adventurers are often called upon to do, we re-assessed the situation.


    Storm Clouds
    Spoiler
    Show

    We could get in and out of the active volcano with a small degree of effort. The Dragon Shaman was fine, but the rest of us became a little fatigued from the sweltering heat of the open air. I could fly the Kobold out without too much trouble, but the Swashbuckler was too heavy for me. The Dragon Shaman had to take off his armor, fly the swashbuckler out, fly back, put his armor on, and then fly out.
    Fortunately, being immune to the heat meant the repeat trpis were no great concern. Once we were out in the open air, we established that it was actually night time on this part of the world, and that we were very close to Central Island. Specifically, we were on one of the smaller offshoot islands nearby. We were basically within swimming distance.
    This was great news! We had ziggarut portals connecting the Jungle, the Desert, and Central Island! As well as access to a secret base somewhere underground, only accessible with the mirror itself. As long as we controlled the mirror, our travel options just got a lot more slick. We figured we would go check in with Macguiller and the captain of the guard while we were here, then head back, grab our dragon and gold, and sail back to the island.

    We got across the water without much trouble. We found a seemingly unclaimed rowboat of some kind and 'borrowed' it (we honestly had no intention of keeping it) and headed for Central Island. We opted to make camp and wait for daybreak as opposed to waking Macguiller up. Time was of the essence, but spellcasters need their rest if they're going to do their spellcasting thing.
    He was happy to see us in the morning. He'd been growing and breeding the healing bugs ever since we left, and had created a fair number of them. Unfortunately, even using the gem from the Swashbucklers stronger familiar only produced bugs that could cast Cure Minor Wounds. Apparently whatever power caused the bug to molt and become stronger wasn't something that benefited its offspring. Either that or being a magical familiar changed the rules somehow.
    Still, the bugs were friendly enough. They seemed intelligent enough that they were about on par with very stupid puppies. Macguiller had them in cages for conveniance, but they didn't seem to mind, as long as they were well fed (he'd been feeding them copper peices. The value of the metal didn't seem to matter, just the volume).

    The Guard Captain was happy to hear from us too. None of the ships he'd sent out had reported back yet, so he had no way of knowing if the rest of the world was prepared in any capacity. We couldn't give him any insight to that, but we decided we were comfortable telling him about the teleportation platform we'd found. We discussed moving people off the island as a backup plan, but it was ruled out for two reasons. One was the difficulty in moving a whole population through an active volcano, and then across 500 feet of open artic air. The second reason was that Central Island had some of the best militia the empire had to offer, since it was a hub and supply location for every continent. He'd had his guards practicing archery against small targets, and felt this was one of the safer places to be.
    We actually agreed with him that it seemed sound, and mentioned that we were planning on using central island as our base of operations for the time being.

    Which is when everything started to get darker. The rising sun dissapeared behind a mass of black billowing clouds off on the horizon.
    DM: The captain of the guard says "That's odd, there wasn't supposed to be a storm today." Everyone roll Spot checks.

    The kobold opted to boost his spot check with an inspiration point, and he was the only one that passed. I'm sure some of you guessed it. We pretty much knew without the spot check confirming it. They weren't storm clouds, it was a giant swarm of black bugs, rolling our way in a massive cloud. The captain of the guard shook his head bleakly, before barking out orders to round up every able bodied person on the island to fight. He apparently didn't realize how hopeless this situation was.
    Me: We can't let the Drifter get access to the mirror. The kobold can outpace all of us by a ridiculous amount, send him running back to the volcano and through the portal. Wait at the doorway in the artic for us and we'll try to make it in one piece.

    The party agreed, and the kobold immediately started sprinting back the way we came. The rest of us got Macguiller, who started packing up his most essential gear and grabbed a few cages of the healing bugs. We were going for an evacutation, but the rolling mass of bgus came in really fast, and hit hard. It was like flipping a switch. One minute it was a peaceful and serene sunrise on the beach, the next minute we were in a complete warzone. Bugs were whipping through the air and taking pot shots at everyone they passed. For the most part you could shrug them off, and they only did a point of damage, but there were so many hitting so often that it quickly became a losing battle to keep your hitpoint total up. We sent Macguiller off running and tried to cover an escape for him by drawing attention to us. The dragon Shaman did good torching cones of the things, while the Swashbuckler was cleaving through the swarm. Instead of eldritch blasts, I tossed a few pints of flaming oil to catch any of the bugs that flew too close to it.
    We weren't at it for long though, before the cloud parted and three familiar shapes stepped out. Priest, the Changeling, and Therin all had been riding inside the thickest part of the cloud, like some kind of perverse chariot. Therin shouted at us to give up the angel, but I tossed an eldritch spear his way...just to have it arc into Priests sidepack harmlessly. He pulled the dark orb out of his sidepack and waved it at me, his horrible rictus grin never leaving his face. "Hmm, I wonder why it does that anyway? I mean, all I ever used it for was binding some souls from an asylum... Tell me girl, have you ever been commited?"
    The dark orb pulsed and my flight hiccuped for a heartbeat. My reaction was immediate. "We need to leave, NOW" and I started flying off in the direction Macguiller went. My party followed, but we didn't get far before my flight gave out entirely and I crashed to the ground helpless. The Swashbuckler tried to pick me up, but Therin made a sliding tackle and the two went tumbling off further along.
    The Dragon Shaman and Changeling stared each other down, and she pulled out a rapier and a short sword before striking an elegant pose with them. The Dragon Shamans response? "You don't have to do this. There must be some way to break your curse. Her pose drooped for a moment, and she looked down, obviously feeling some kind of shame, before immediately making a whirling, dancing leap across the distance between them, hitting in a flurry of light blows (that barely beat the Dragon Shamans AC, and barely scratched him from his damage reduction). On his turn, he just shook his head at her, which made her falter in her stance.
    Meanwhile, Priest had run over top of me, waving the orb at me and saying "Very familiar". I pulled out a poison coated dagger and sank it into the same spot in his shoulder that I'd hit when we ran into each other before, and said "Yes, very familiar".
    Priests rictus grin didn't even falter though, as the orb pulsed and he hit me with my own eldritch blast, saying "You were in the asylum weren't you? Your soul works for me as sure as the other patients do... though yours seems much more useful".

    Therin kicked the Swashbuckler hard enough to send him flying through the air, before doing some kind of jump/backflip, flying easily 20 feet through the air and landing on the Swashbucklers chest with a crunch. The Swashbuckler was winded, but knocked Therin off of him with enough force to knock him prone, quickdrew his rapier, and got in a good piercing hit and a slash across Therins face.

    The Changeling dropped her swords and held her arms down at her sides, looking away sadly, before opening up with a ridiculously powerful punch clean across the Dragon Shamans jaw and tumbling a few feet back from him before putting up her fists and kissing one of them, dancing like a boxer. Binders usually do have a lot of tricks, after all.
    The Dragon Shaman ignored her, noticing me yelling for him, laying under Priest. The poison was clearly affecting him, he just felt like he still had the upper hand. Until the Dragon Shaman cleared enough distance to hit our area with his fire breath. He caught me in it, but I turned on my Fiendish Resilience to start healing the burns, and sunk another poisoned dagger (with a different poison) into priest. The second poison coupled with the burn was enough to stagger him long enough for me to crawl a few feet towards the Swashbuckler.
    Who was locked in an epic duel with Therin. Therin swept his legs around and took the Swashbuckler down in a grapple before trying to do the throat slash move he'd shown off before, but he missed from the Swashbuckler wriggling away from the blow. Then the swashbuckler headbutted Therin to break the grapple, and ran him clean through the torso with his rapier.
    The changeling did a tumbling roll over to the Dragon Shaman and took another bare-fisted swing at him. She missed, and took a hit from a bastard sword, before the Dragon Shaman flew over to me and started dragging me with him. He couldn't fly with me in tow, but he didn't drop me all the same, opting to run with me scrambling to keep up.

    Priest hit him with one of my eldritch blasts for the trouble.

    While Therin and the Swashbuckler continued to trade blows back and forth in a very bloody display of sheer testosterone. The Changeling opted not to persue the Dragon Shaman, picking up her swords and running at the two duking it out. The Swashbuckler seemed content to make this a fight to the death, and he might have insisted on it (despite our urging him to make an escape with us), until we heard a roar echo from deeper into the island. A dire tiger came running out...complete with a golden rune on its forhead. A look around revealed a lot of golden runes springing up in various locations... including the forheads of some of the guard captains men off in the distance, who were busy fighting the men who'd been strong enough to not yet be infected.

    Dragon Shaman: This fight isn't going to get BETTER. We're losing here, and we're going to start losing harder.

    The Swashbuckler finally agreed, and started taking double move actions to escape with us. They both dragged me far enough away that I was out of range of Priests orb, and my ability to fly returned. I thought about hitting back with an eldritch spear at SOMETHING, out of spite, but figured it would be fruitless. Instead we just hauled as fast as we could towards the island with the volcano. Me and the dragon Shaman were flying, and when we got to the ocean, we saw Macguiller had allready gotten the rowboat and was almost to the other side. The Swashbuckler didn't think twice, just dove into the ocean and started swimming for all he was worth, with the huge mass of black onyx bugs swarming above the water and dipping down into it after him.

    We were keeping pace ahead of the mass... barely. Therin was closest to catching up with us, he was a very fast and tireless man. The changeling was behind him, priest was nowhere in sight (my poisons probably finally caught up with him enough to make chasing too much of a fatigue).

    Underwater, the Swashbuckler had a bad run in. A shark with a golden glowing rune on its forhead swam at him and tried to take a chunk out, but his dodge bonus to AC let him flit off to one side at the last second and keep swimming. It took a few passes at him, but it didn't manage to connect before he got into shallower waters and ran after us.

    We were worried, since the Dragon Shaman couldn't fly the swashbuckler OR macguiller down, but macguiller cast feather fall on both of them, and they jumped down to the ledge and into the underground volcano/ziggarut.
    The bugs chased us the whole way. Therin and the changeling stopped at the lip of the volcano, despite the dragon shaman beckoning for them to follow with a smirk. He considered flying back up and trying to grapple one of them into the lava, knowing he could take it and they couldn't... but by this point, the black onyx bugs were basically forming a wall of chitinous shell that was hindering our movement. We had to book. We made it to the portal room, and the Kobold opened it up from the other side for us (despite the mass of bugs attacking). We all made it through safely, along with a few dozen black onyx bugs. In the cold, we had less trouble fighting them. insects do poorly in freezing temperatures, and we hadn't even killed them all before they started to just fall out of the sky. We stomped them all for good measure, harvested the black onyx gems from them, and escorted Macguiller and his cage of healing bugs (who were also freezing) over to the northern most portal.


    That was where we wrapped things up. Macguiller and a few healing bugs are safe in the underground ziggarut. How safe remains to be seen. The bugs seemed intelligent enough to know their allies and to escort them around. The infected seemed to have a clear idea of what they were trying to do. By this point, it must be obvious we have access to the mirror, and we know what it does. IF someone knows where that last ziggarut is buried, it won't be a secret base for long. If not (which we're hoping) it's now one of the two safest places on the planet.

    We leveled up to 11. The Factotum and Swashbuckler can both cast Animate Dead now, so it might turn into Bugs Vs. Skeletons here pretty soon. The Dragon Shaman can now remove diseases and other status effects with his lay on hands, which might come in handy. This was a great level for me. my damage reduction went up a point, my eldritch blast got another D6, and I learned my first Greater Invocation.
    Priest has my soul. I'm almost sure of that now. There's no way the DM was hinting at anything else. I sold my soul in that dinky tower chamber, and Priest somehow found a way to tap into the transaction and pluck it from its rightful owner.

    That works fine for me, because that means Priest has my soul instead of some demon lord. And now I have to go pluck it from HIM. My characters current main goal is getting my soul back, everything else is secondary until that happens.
    I took Repelling Blast as my first Greater invocation (and Ignore the Pyre as my extra lesser invocation). Let's see if priest can hold onto the orb of his when it's forcing a reflex save to be knocked back 30 feet.

    I hope that works, in any event.

    The Dragon Shaman's also re-shifted his goals. He now considers the Changeling too dangerous to be given a (third) offer of redemption. He's going to attack her on sight, because she's too sneaky to trust. His exact words on the subject were "I'm good, not exalted. I'm not going to kill myself trying to talk her into giving up on evil".

    And that's where we stand now.
    Last edited by SilverClawShift; 2009-06-28 at 09:44 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GreatWyrmGold's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In a castle under the sea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Oh...Oh my...

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    We leveled up to 11. The Factotum and Swashbuckler can both cast Animate Dead now, so it might turn into Bugs Vs. Skeletons here pretty soon.
    I'm fine, as long as you three don't make ME a zombie. (Actually, I bet the dragon shaman would have problems with that, too, since I'm a gold dragon.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

    Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

    Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

  14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kosjsjach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Montreal-ish
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

    So.
    Goshdarn.
    Entertaining.

  15. - Top - End - #405
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    A repelling Eldritch spear? I think that's about the only way you'll be able to actually hit him with it.

    Oh, and he probably can use repelling blast now too, but will only know it (probably) after you use it once or twice. So you have to have a GOOD plan to steal that orb. Probably involving the factotum.

  16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deth Muncher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Virginia

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    SCS, HERE's a thought: What if Priest actually IS a demon lord? I mean, they know Polymorph, right?

    On other, non-silly notes. So, you're back in the arctic, which seems safe enough for the moment. And you can get to the holy temple, which is also good.

    ...wait.

    Holy temple.

    You know who likes holy temples? Angels like holy temples.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

  17. - Top - End - #407
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Say: A thought. How much HD does the average pair of legs have?
    Last edited by Fayd; 2009-06-28 at 12:36 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #408
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Hm. So get the orb away from Priest... and wrap your special orb-sealing present from Heeno around it. Be sure you have on your glove-type things too.

    I have a feeling that, if you don't... It won't be a lot of fun to grab that thing.

  19. - Top - End - #409
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Drakyn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Soviet Canuckistan

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Your DM should be writing up his sessions as "how-to" examples and sending them to WotC. And you guys should be listed in the middle of every Player's Handbook under "how to do ridiculously awesome things without using a slide rule and eighteen prestige classes."

  20. - Top - End - #410
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Lilienthal's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Well that was certainly an eventful session.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    The Dragon Shaman's also re-shifted his goals. He now considers the Changeling too dangerous to be given a (third) offer of redemption. He's going to attack her on sight, because she's too sneaky to trust. His exact words on the subject were "I'm good, not exalted. I'm not going to kill myself trying to talk her into giving up on evil".
    Aaw, you should tell him to reconsider. Changelings are just too sad and cute to eliminate like that. If you manage to seperate her from the rest of your enemies, even by force, you should be able to get her on your side. Having a former enemy on your side should help a lot in your situation, and the roleplaying itself could be epic as well. Romantic interest anyone?
    The key to wisdom is to have strong opinions, weakly held.

  21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    St. Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Awesome session. Thanks for taking the time to write it up for us.

  22. - Top - End - #412
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Ok.... have your Dragon Shaman lay hands on an infected person as soon as is convenient. It would be terribly useful to know whether that kind of possession is something he can cure or not.

    And again, squee. Just much squee. You're seriously inspiring me to find a D&D group local to me. (And I really haven't played since early college.... so considerably pre-3.0.)

    ** edited to add **

    Hey wait a sec.....

    Ok, the dragon didn't really give you a good measure of this, but now you've encountered a possessed dire tiger and a shark. Did you get any sort of idea of how intelligent they were? Were they just reacting like controlled versions of their species or were they more intelligent? (As in being actually possessed?) It might be useful to know what kind of limitations these bugs have. If an unintelligent animal gets infected, do they become Drifter, or does he just control them?
    Last edited by Corwin Weber; 2009-06-28 at 04:08 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #413
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Wow, now I literally can not wait until you're next write up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

  24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground
     
    13_CBS's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Hey SCS, would you mind if I made a separate thread archiving all of your group's posted adventures, past and present? It'll make it easier for people interested in reading about your stuff if it's all collected into one huge thread, I think. I already have all the text copy-pastad, so all I need is the green light from you.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2009-06-28 at 09:40 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #415
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Xin-Shalast
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by Corwin Weber View Post
    Ok.... have your Dragon Shaman lay hands on an infected person as soon as is convenient. It would be terribly useful to know whether that kind of possession is something he can cure or not.

    And again, squee. Just much squee. You're seriously inspiring me to find a D&D group local to me. (And I really haven't played since early college.... so considerably pre-3.0.)

    ** edited to add **

    Hey wait a sec.....

    Ok, the dragon didn't really give you a good measure of this, but now you've encountered a possessed dire tiger and a shark. Did you get any sort of idea of how intelligent they were? Were they just reacting like controlled versions of their species or were they more intelligent? (As in being actually possessed?) It might be useful to know what kind of limitations these bugs have. If an unintelligent animal gets infected, do they become Drifter, or does he just control them?
    He seems like he's at least seeing through their senses and directing them, so yeah, they're drifter. The only real question I can see is whether they gain his mental stats/saves or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  26. - Top - End - #416
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SilverClawShift's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
    A repelling Eldritch spear? I think that's about the only way you'll be able to actually hit him with it.

    Oh, and he probably can use repelling blast now too, but will only know it (probably) after you use it once or twice. So you have to have a GOOD plan to steal that orb. Probably involving the factotum.
    I didn't plan on getting very CLOSE to him

    And I don't know for certain, but the immpression I got was that, since he's holding my soul, he can sap the powers I got from SELLING said soul in the first place, and use them himself.
    Since the orb seems to have some kind of range on what it can do to me (I get far enough and my powers re-activate), I don't think he has access to any of it unless I'm allready there and helpless. Come to think of it, if he realizes how much more powerful he'd be with me helpless and near him, I might be in deeper trouble.
    I'll have to be careful.

    Hopefully a long-range repelling blast will knock the damn thing away from him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    You know who likes holy temples? Angels like holy temples.
    We thought about that, but that's assuming we can get ot the angel right now. Papa HeeNo hasn't contacted us or anything. And even then, putting the angel in a one-way-in one-way-out situation might not be a great idea. At least in the open she can scramble away or fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
    Say: A thought. How much HD does the average pair of legs have?
    I mentioned this as a possibility to my DM. I don't think he thought I was serious. The idea of finding a good pair of legs and stitching them to me doesn't sound too far off from what I'd do, but for now that's not the path I'm taking.
    There are undead leg grafts out there, aren't there? I seem to recall something like that in eberron.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lilienthal View Post
    Aaw, you should tell him to reconsider.
    I told him to ice her from the start. i'm glad he's finally listening to my way of thinking

    Quote Originally Posted by Olo Demonsbane View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write it up for us.
    You're very welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corwin Weber View Post
    Ok.... have your Dragon Shaman lay hands on an infected person as soon as is convenient. It would be terribly useful to know whether that kind of possession is something he can cure or not.

    ...

    Did you get any sort of idea of how intelligent they were? Were they just reacting like controlled versions of their species or were they more intelligent?
    That is something he's going to try to do, but we won't know what happens until we have an infected creature mostly alone.

    And the immpression I got was that the Drifter is still in there, but is trying to brute-force his way into things now. We ran from the tiger, and the shark was just trying to attack, so we don't really have a sure way of knowing.

    My gut tells me each one will be as smart and cunning as the drifter himself would have been. If his mental control was going to "give out" I think it would have done so long before the 10-million-infected mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Hey SCS, would you mind if I made a separate thread archiving all of your group's posted adventures, past and present?
    You can, if you really want (and the moderators don't say otherwise, which I suspect they WOULD).

  27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    wadledo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    I mentioned this as a possibility to my DM. I don't think he thought I was serious. The idea of finding a good pair of legs and stitching them to me doesn't sound too far off from what I'd do, but for now that's not the path I'm taking.
    There are undead leg grafts out there, aren't there? I seem to recall something like that in eberron.
    Their in a couple of places, though fiend folio has the best ones.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2009-06-28 at 10:56 PM.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

  28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground
     
    13_CBS's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    You can, if you really want (and the moderators don't say otherwise, which I suspect they WOULD).
    Huh? Why would the mods object? It's simply going to be a thread with all your posted stuff organized into one neat post. It shouldn't be breaking any rules, I think.

  29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    St. Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Actually, it couldnt be one big post...SCS tried that last campaign and it ran over the limit...wait, I think that was a typo, nevermind.


    Oh, and please make the thread. You could PM a Mod before hand, if you thought they might care...negatively care, that is...some of them might be just as excited as the rest of us.

  30. - Top - End - #420
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crystal Cantrips

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    I didn't plan on getting very CLOSE to him

    And I don't know for certain, but the immpression I got was that, since he's holding my soul, he can sap the powers I got from SELLING said soul in the first place, and use them himself.
    Since the orb seems to have some kind of range on what it can do to me (I get far enough and my powers re-activate), I don't think he has access to any of it unless I'm allready there and helpless. Come to think of it, if he realizes how much more powerful he'd be with me helpless and near him, I might be in deeper trouble.
    I'll have to be careful.

    Hopefully a long-range repelling blast will knock the damn thing away from him.
    True, good point. I still think you should get the factotum involved...how's his pickpocket/sleight of hand/whatever skill doing? Repel him and send the Shadow Blur in to nab it for you.

    ...wait...you said he deactivated your powers. WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR ZOMBIES/SKELLIES?

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    I mentioned this as a possibility to my DM. I don't think he thought I was serious. The idea of finding a good pair of legs and stitching them to me doesn't sound too far off from what I'd do, but for now that's not the path I'm taking.
    There are undead leg grafts out there, aren't there? I seem to recall something like that in eberron.
    I know the Pale Master prestige class gets an undead grafted arm, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for...

    I actually thought you still had your own legs, but still petrified (I believe I'm wrong)...I thought if you made those skeletal or zombified and grafted them on, though any legs of the same species would still work...

    ...wait a second! Does anyone in your group have access to Restoration or Regeneration or the applicable one?
    Last edited by Fayd; 2009-06-28 at 11:54 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •