New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,483 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius V: Madre de Diodes!

Quote Originally Posted by Elaro View Post
    Oh, and "egress" means "exit"!
    Oh. I always thought it meant "female eagle".
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Barbarian in the Playground

I believe a female eagle is an eagless or hen-eagle. Though if egress is an alternate name, that's a good joke in the comic.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

3. - Top - End - #1473

That was a Terry Pratchett joke, for the unenlightened, hence the smiley. He mentioned a freakshow (or circus or something) having a sign saying "See the Egress!".

4. - Top - End - #1474

BlueWizardGirl

True story about the egress. I think it was Barnum and Bailey in the 19th century. It got so crowded that they resorted to trickery to get people out (I'm not sure if the part I heard about the person outside the exit with the dictionary to prove egress meant exit was true, but it would make sense).

About Gil's death - What Tarvek said about it (or what Othar understood, which may not be the same thing [or what I thought Othar understood, which may really not be the same thing]) seemed to imply he had NO IDEA what happened to Gil once he was inside the kestle.

If this is correct (which, I know, is iffy), the timeline they are in has already diverged.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    True story about the egress. I think it was Barnum and Bailey in the 19th century. It got so crowded that they resorted to trickery to get people out (I'm not sure if the part I heard about the person outside the exit with the dictionary to prove egress meant exit was true, but it would make sense).
    In case people are inclined to argue about this, this is mostly correct. It was actually crowd control for P.T. Barnum's museum in New York City, quite a while before Bailey entered the picture.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Castle Heterodyne has a herd of rabid egresses.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Edit: Oops
    Last edited by SirSigfried; 2009-10-16 at 10:13 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    About Gil's death - What Tarvek said about it (or what Othar understood, which may not be the same thing [or what I thought Othar understood, which may really not be the same thing]) seemed to imply he had NO IDEA what happened to Gil once he was inside the kestle.
    Not sure where that comes from, in Othar twitter I see Othar learning about Gil's death from newspaper, and nothing from Tarvek *yet* on Gil but clue that there is extra info to remember "Now I have to try and remember what that Tarvek fellow said. I think I have to head to the East. He said something about Mechanicsburg."
    Last edited by multilis; 2009-10-16 at 10:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    In case people are inclined to argue about this, this is mostly correct. It was actually crowd control for P.T. Barnum's museum in New York City, quite a while before Bailey entered the picture.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Castle Heterodyne has a herd of rabid egresses.
    Someone needs to homebrew a d20 'Rabid Egress'

And then apply the swarm template to it.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

9. - Top - End - #1479

Well... Serpentine made a "female" template (Pseudonatural Paragon and something else). We stick that on a giant eagle and give it the feral template for the "rabid". There ya go. Epic level beast.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Someone needs to homebrew a d20 'Rabid Egress'

And then apply the swarm template to it.
    Rabid Egress*

Small Animal (Swarm, up to 30 individuals)
    Hit Dice: 10d8
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft.(4 squares), fly 60 ft.
    Armor Class: 12 (+1 size, +1 Dex), touch 12, flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-6 (+1/+6 vs. Tiny or smaller aquatic creatures)
    Attack: Swarm (1d6 + disease)
    Full Attack: Swarm (1d6 + disease) and 1d4 Swallow Whole attempts
    Space/Reach: 10 ft/10 ft
    Special Attacks: Disease (Rabies), Swallow Whole, Distraction
    Special Qualities: Half damage from slashing and piercing, swarm traits
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 13, Con 6, Int 2, Wis 2, Cha 2
    Skills: Listen +4, Spot +8 (+12 if target is underwater)
    Feats: -
    Environment: Der Kestle
    Organization: Swarm (flock)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Advancement: -
    Level Adjustment: -

A flurry of frenzied, flapping feathers flies forth.

A swarm of rabid egresses lurks in the winding channels of der Kestle's famous indoor moat, not so much waiting for prey as engaging in a demented squabble with itself that's apt to draw in hapless passers-by.

Combat:
    The egresses will attack anything that stumbles into their midst (including each other) once frenzied. A frenzy may be triggered by a loud noise. Or a soft noise. Or one egress bumping into another. Or some elusive signal detectable only to crazed, diseased egresses. Actually, forget it: they're frenzied. Deal with it.

The flustered flock deals 1d6 damage to any creature whose space it occupies at the end of its move.

Disease (Ex): Rabies--swarm attack, Fortitude DC 16, incubation period 2 months, damage 1d4 Con, 1d4 Wisdom. Rabies may be cured by Remove Disease during its incubation period, but once symptoms develop, only a Heal (or more powerful curative magic) will produce a cure. If the victim's Constitution drops below 5, he will be unable to drink, and begin suffering 1d6 points of dehydration damage per day. If the victim's Wisdom drops below 5, he will become frenzied, and may attack allies.

This Spark-modified form of the disease will afflict birds as well as mammals, but is non-fatal to birds.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature that begins its turn with the swarm in its square must succeed on a DC 12 Will save or spend 1 round wondering what the flock is going on.

Swallow Whole (Ex): Individual members of the flock may randomly decide they're hungry, and attempt to swallow a grabbed target of smaller size than itself by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the swallowed creature takes 1 point of damage per round each from crushing, acid, and suffocation. The flock typically makes up to 1d4 such attacks per round, provided targets of suitable size are available.

If, by some bizarre chance, the swallowed creature is armed, it may slash its way out by dealing 4 points of damage to the egress's innards and burst from its snowy white breast in an ironic reversal of a certain movie scene. This also applies 4 points of damage to the flock as a whole, as it kills one member in a suitably dramatic fashion.

Skills: A rabid egress swarm has +4 racial bonus on Listen checks and a +8 bonus on spot (+12 vs underwater targets). It also possesses a profound natural mastery of cricket, but as it is too frenzied to actually display its skill in a match, and doesn't live in England, anyway, no one cares.

*I determined that "rabid egress" was most likely the feminine form of "rabid egret" and proceeded from there. Alternatively, it could be a phonetic representation of a description of a quick exit by a person with a nasty cold and a propensity for excess erudition, but I don't know how to apply a swarm template to that.
    Last edited by Balance; 2009-10-16 at 09:30 PM.
    "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be."
    --Kirien, Seeker's Mask

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

Zounds! Page 50 already? Time to start the new thread.

Hope you like the title
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #1482

RedWizardGuy

We already have a thread, with the title we agreed upon above. Girl Genius VI: Der Pestle in Der Kestle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    We already have a thread, with the title we agreed upon above. Girl Genius VI: Der Pestle in Der Kestle.
    Ah, well you should have linked!
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-10-16 at 11:04 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad