New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Something is missing...

Open up the Book of Nine Swords to page 97. Tell me if you see something missing.

Give up? The Bloodclaw Master offers no new weapons/ armor proficiencies. In fact, none of the PrCs in the Bo9S do.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Something is missing...

Many PrC's don't offer any new proficiencies. Is there a problem with that?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Many PrC's don't offer any new proficiencies. Is there a problem with that?
    Yeah, but most PrCs at least mention this fact.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It could be worse...at least it doesn't GIVE proficiencies that are totally unrelated to the theme of the PrC.

Seriously..."I'm more devoted to the forces of bringing light, mercy, and healing to the world....now where did I leave that HUGE FREAKIN GREATSWORD?"

Check out Radiant Servant of Pelor for more details....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Not only does the Radiant Servant not do anything else to increase your ability to fight with weapons, it gives a d6 hit die, if I recall correctly. The one way that it's worse than straight Cleric makes you less of a frontliner.

The weapon proficiencies seem like some sort of oversight. I'd house-rule them out, personally. I might even make that suggestion as a player.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

What did you use to qualify for the Bloodclaw Master that didn't give you enough weapon proficiencies?
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Errr... a lot of PRCs are like this. They've very inconsistent about them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Most PrCs published in late 3.5 books systematically mention nothing of proficiencies. I suppose, since usually PrCs don't grant any proficiencies, that WoTC simply found the entry redundant if none are given, and thus decided to cut them entirely. Frankly, I find this a smart decision, if a minute detail.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    What did you use to qualify for the Bloodclaw Master that didn't give you enough weapon proficiencies?
    Totemist. Natural weapons don't really care about profs though...