New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Pfft, You dwarves are all the same!

Okay so as we've seen, it seems like every dwarf, ever, in the history of eternity was a gruff sort, who, deep down had a heart of gold, and could be relied upon by his companions to come through in any situation.

That's boring.

I want to see some NEW ideas for how to roleplay dwarves. Something that isn't done to death. Try to keep the ideas broad, and easily applicable to different characters with different backstories, basically apply character traits, tics and quirks. It should be fun.

My idea is that a dwarf, rather than being kind to his friends could, instead, see them more as a means to accrue more wealth, leaving them to die if he could run off with the money, to bring back to his clan.

Or the dwarf could be a goofy sort, putting friends and enemies off guard with his folksy charm and provincial mannerisms. But underneath the goofy facade is a hardened and well trained master of combat, the goofball act a careful ruse to lower the defenses of those around him.

And of course the classic Dwarven Merc. More concerned with the next drink, meal, and wench than anything else, and seeing each job as a means to those ends. He's world weary, selfish, and distant, but at the very least can be relied to complete the job at hand, though he won't hesitate to bash your skull in if that's the next paying job to come his way.

As you can see some of these are a little cliched, my hope is to come up with something a bit more than that and to get a good list of numerous ways to roleplay dwarves.

Think about dwarven criminals and what they are like. What could encourage a dwarf to pursue magic maybe? What about dwarves brought up in a human society? I want to explore all these different characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    If your money making scheme requires the creation of the haypenny, you may need to re-think your idea.
    “What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man?”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

I participated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pfft, You dwarves are all the same!

Dwarven sorcerer. There are a lot of ways you could go about it (exile and whatnot), but I think my favorite way can be summed up like so:

"These sorcerous techniques have been passed down through the Firesoul Clan for GENERATIONS!"
    *Sparkle Sparkle*
    Last edited by Xallace; 2009-05-22 at 09:21 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

MonkGuy

I had an idea for a dwarven swashbuckler awhile back.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

One that's a six-feet tall blond that's an excellent fighter, always plays by the book, and loves everybody.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ondonaflash View Post
    Okay so as we've seen, it seems like every dwarf, ever, in the history of eternity was a gruff sort, who, deep down had a heart of gold, and could be relied upon by his companions to come through in any situation.
    Eh? Since when?

Have a look at the dwarves in The Hobbit, which is pretty much as classic as it gets. They aren't gruff, and they definitely don't have hearts of gold.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #6

Well, isn't that kind of the point? Not the stereotype itself, but that dwarves are so lawful and traditional that being called a stereotype is a compliment. They're not honoring their ancestors unless they're dwarven enough to braid their armpit hair! But I see what you're trying to do here. Honestly? You should roleplay whatever you want; deliberately being the opposite of a dwarf is just as bad. Avoid the "exiled from my clan for being too awesome" angle unless you're a Drizzt parody.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want a non-traditional dwarf, look no further than the Discworld character Giamo Cassanunda. He is beardless, charming, and the second greatest lover in the world (though he tries harder). A count, dashing swordsman, and world class highwayman, Casanunda is spoken of in hushed tones wherever ladies gather in the vicinity of stepladders.

In fact, Discworld "dwarfs" (they are never called dwarves in that series) seem to be a parody of the traditional stereotype, so counterstereotypes are common. Sure, on the surface they seem to be hard working, law abiding gold obsessed miners, but get a few drinks in one and you'll have a berzerker on your hands that puts any D&D orc barbarian to shame.

Then there's the issue of Cheery Littlebottom. Apparently, female dwarfs look, act, and think exactly like males on the Disc. Cheery runs counter to her cultural norm by wearing dresses, makeup and earrings, and it's starting to catch on. Still has a beard you could lose a ferret in, though.

And then, as KPenguin mentioned, there is Carrot. Yup. Carrot.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2009-05-22 at 09:44 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

As far as Monks being well. . .good, Dwarves would make very good ones, especially in Pathfinder. Bonuses in two important Monkery stats and a penalty to a dump stat? It's a Good Thing.
    Picture that, dwarf with shorts tied around waist with a rope, a bandages around fist and feet, beard braided, and a stout arm and belly.
    Actually, that sounds like a fun character to play.
    When and if Dalna the half-orc Paladin dies, we will see about that.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2009-05-22 at 09:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmm, I'm reminded of Pukel, the Dwarven Cook-Fighter that spontaneously retrained into Druid during the Cleric Quintet due to how ****ing insane he went over the course of the adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    "These sorcerous techniques have been passed down through the Firesoul Clan for GENERATIONS!"
    *Sparkle Sparkle*
    You... That's just.... Have you noticed that the manga seems to have almost stopped its release schedule in the last 6 months?

To the OP, dwarfs can really be any character type, just like every other race/class combo. Give a dwarf a personality that is stereotyped halfling or elf, and you've suddenly got a very unconventional dwarf.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Apparently, female dwarfs look, act, and think exactly like males on the Disc.
    Worthy of note is the fact that courting, among dwarfs on the Disc, involves very carefully trying to find out whether this other dwarf they like is indeed of the opposite sex. Since, you know, asking is considered bad form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ondonaflash View Post

That's boring.
    ... I love how every other thread here has something to do with TVTropes.

You are not alone, "ondonaflash". All our Dwarves are the same.

What you do is create a charcter more or less as you would a human. You want to avoid saying that the entire Dwarven race is just like your character, and not make them follow any other stereotype.
    Last edited by Rapidwhirl; 2009-05-22 at 10:39 PM.
    "Father, Mother, I'm going to become a homeless traveler who kills people for money. I'll use a spell of sending every day... after I learn it. Bye."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Dwarves are my favorite race and I've done a lot with them.

My first, most powerfull, and favorite character was fairly standard although I like to think that he was more intelectuall than the steryotype. He was supposed to be a more skillfull and diciplned warrior than the stereotype. Generaly supposed to be a nicer person, skip the gruff exeertior. Also he uses a sword.

His father is a stereotypical merc/barabian who develops into a mature clan lead.

His sister is a sycopath wizard, not quite evil but pretty darn close.

I made his cousin, a cleric of Kord. He is sweet guy with a bad temper, loosly based on R. A. Salvatore's Pikel.

I also make a swashbuckling sword sage, I'm not sure where I'm going with him.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Eh? Since when?

Have a look at the dwarves in The Hobbit, which is pretty much as classic as it gets. They aren't gruff, and they definitely don't have hearts of gold.

- Saph
    This. This is very true. In the campaign setting I'm working on, dwarves are pretty much regarded by the rest of the Empire as selfish *******s. They're good at making things and fighting, but they're also strongly xenophobic and secretive. They've chafed under the Empire's rule, even though it was pretty decent, simply because the dwarves HATE being under the control of a non-dwarf, and they really hated the obligation the Empire placed on them to communicate and even trade with other races. In my universe, dwarves don't just hate elves by calling them pansies. They lynch non-dwarves and pro-Imperials when no one's looking, and the Empire's current weakness is a godsend to them.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    One that's a six-feet tall blond that's an excellent fighter, always plays by the book, and loves everybody.
    Well, maybe.

But only if he's a cop. Otherwise the whole thing falls apart.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

16. - Top - End - #16

HalflingRangerGuy

A friend of mine played, in one of my last campaigns, a gold dwarf wizard/cleric of mystra(!)/mystic theurge.
    He was an elderly, goofy, friendly and open-handed dwarf! He had no problems with other humanoids, even elves. He was fond of children and treated everyone with less than 200 years as one. He even gave a 18 years old human Mystra church novice 1gp "to buy candy"...
    He was developing a big memory problem and really roleplayed that.
    He had missing teeth, a big belly and terribly looking beard. He wore classic Mystra garments, in pink and silver! When introducing himself, he used a speech similar to the magician's in the Krull movie, holding his cape in front of him.
    Needless to say, dwarfs didn't like him very much. Everyone else loved him! He wasn't even respected in his home village, which renegated its most powerful member.
    Besides all that, when a new player decided to try a dwarven defender, he convinced him to be his character's younger son. They started a fantastic relationship in game between the traditionalist son and the misfit father. That was an awesome game, with fantastic players, most of them (him included) dear friends that I miss a lot.
    Last edited by amanamana; 2009-05-23 at 02:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

my idea of dwarves that they are actually stealthy backstabbing rogues greedy for gold, using their beards for camouflage and ambushing people underground for money, using their night vision, small size and stealthiness and the darkness of the tunnels to take travelers by surprise, wearing light armor and be dodging whatever comes their way.

hows that for unusual?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    As far as Monks being well. . .good, Dwarves would make very good ones, especially in Pathfinder. Bonuses in two important Monkery stats and a penalty to a dump stat? It's a Good Thing.
    Picture that, dwarf with shorts tied around waist with a rope, a bandages around fist and feet, beard braided, and a stout arm and belly.
    Actually, that sounds like a fun character to play.
    When and if Dalna the half-orc Paladin dies, we will see about that.
    Monks can make unarmed attacks with any part of their body...and it'd fit dwarven RP to use their beard as much as possible...

19. - Top - End - #19

HalflingRangerGuy

Eh? Since when?

- Saph
    Ditto, iconic dwarves would be Gimli and Flint Fireforge who were both comical father figures.

There is that voluptuously sexy bounty huntress in Kendermore.

My favorite dwarf is Korgan from BG2 who was a CE berserker with a soft spot for children having lost his daughter. There's Grimgnaw from NWN who is gruff and depressing with a heart of coal. That stereotype is not very stereotypical.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dwarven Wizard. LN. Likes to PLAN. Things out for centuries. It doesn't matter if its good or evil, as long as it works efficiently.

Wide eyed archeologist/geologist "Oh, sorry, i was just examining this beautiful calcium carbonate formation over.. oh, right, beat things with a hammer now"

Stoic. No. theres no heart of gold. Why are you whining you human whimp? Snap the end off the arrow and get back to fighting or put on a skirt and pray you can whelp some REAL men.

Greedy. Sure i like shinies.. oh right, when the going gets tough you can count on me... (to side with the winners and loot your bodies...)

Granpa: These humans are short lived and childish. The elf doesn't have the short lived excuse. You've seen it all, done it all, and every adventure you run accross "Reminds me of the time I...." When the kids do something stupid (and they will) give em the back of the gauntlet like your pappy gave you.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    You... That's just.... Have you noticed that the manga seems to have almost stopped its release schedule in the last 6 months?
    Nope, I haven't noticed at all.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Chaotic Neutral Dwarf Beguiler. Likes to charm the pants off of any and all around him. Doesn't give two craps about tradition. Seduces any and all females he can get his grubby little hands on (dwarven women being... you know, bearded). Speaks in a highly eloquent style, speech full of complex adjectives and adverbs. Keeps himself meticulously clean. Refuses to use weapons, as they are somewhat uncouth. Keeps a rapier at his side for appearances. Cyrano de Dwarferac.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I kind of like how 4e is subtly moving Dwarves away from this by making them ideal for classes like Druid and Shaman. Maybe its just me, but primal nature-based caster doesn't really scream Dwarf. Invoker too, though 'channeler of the God's wrath' is only a half-step off from the traditional Dwarven cleric.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

24. - Top - End - #24

WolfInSheepsClothing

I kind of like how 4e is subtly moving Dwarves away from this by making them ideal for classes like Druid and Shaman. Maybe its just me, but primal nature-based caster doesn't really scream Dwarf. Invoker too, though 'channeler of the God's wrath' is only a half-step off from the traditional Dwarven cleric.

Well, in 3.5 dwarves are one of the best caster classes, despite a penchant for not liking magic in role play terms, their +con is the best stat boost a caster can get from race ( since int/wis bonuses don't exist for core races). Darkvision is unbeatable for targeting foes in the dark (i mean, whenever is it going to be dark in DUNGEONS and dragons) and the +2 to (almost) all saves and another +1 from fort saves either shore up the wizards weak point or send a clerics fort save to the stratosphere.

Slow Movement doesn't hurt a caster (since you're in the back, you want to be in the back, and you want to stay in the back) and you'll be flying everywhere eventualy anyway.

Elves, on the other hand, despite a listed interest in wizardry, are probably the worst class to go into magic. Dex is an OK stat, but 1 less hp per level when you only get a d4? Not good.

The only class that comes close is human, and then only if you use splatbooks so you can take advantage of all the delicious feats.

25. - Top - End - #25

Kobold

Suggest you play this game for awhile, and in particular read the lore and player stories.

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page

That should get you some reaaallly non traditional dwarves.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

26. - Top - End - #26

Eh? Since when?

- Saph
    Say what?? Tolkien's dwarves are the very definition of gruff. Tho I will give you that most of them dont have hearts of gold, except the two that are pretty much main characters. So yeah... Tolkien dwarves = gruff + heart of gold when it comes down to it, tho it takes a long time to chip thru their gruff exteriors.

I played a dwarf that had the money issue tho, it was fun and gave him some interesting conflictions as he was very goodhearted but was heavily tempted by wealth and would get into some pretty crazy situations for a few gems.

As far as the alcoholic thing... all dwarves should be boozers. Gives me the excuse to RP in real life at the table =)
    Last edited by daggaz; 2009-05-23 at 05:35 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

You could always pull a Worf, and have Dwarves go crazy about prune juice instead of ale.

I think that would drastically change the personality of the standard dwarf!
    Last edited by Theodoriph; 2009-05-23 at 05:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Casanunda, the world's 2nd-greatest lover, is a dwarf. He even carries around his own step ladder and prints his own business cards.

Gary, an infected were-rat, has spent the better part of the last decade scrounging for cheese and trying to stay a step-ahead of his archnemesis, a were-tiger named Thom.

Turvold Bronzebottom was once as treasure-hungry as any dwarf could be. However, an incident involving a pile of treasure and a gelatinous cube resulted in a near-death experience for him. Since then, he's sworn a vow of poverty and, although he continues to adventure, he always donates his share of the treasure to a local orphanage.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2009-05-23 at 05:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Kobold

Urist has spent the last four years carving out a home in the mountain. She hates and despises outsiders, and when they come to trade she activates a trap to seal off the trade depot and water rushes in from the ceiling. She was driven mad by the constant anti-feminism of her kind.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    Say what?? Tolkien's dwarves are the very definition of gruff. Tho I will give you that most of them dont have hearts of gold, except the two that are pretty much main characters. So yeah... Tolkien dwarves = gruff + heart of gold when it comes down to it, tho it takes a long time to chip thru their gruff exteriors.
    Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
    Blunt the knives and bend the forks!
    That's what Bilbo hates -
    Smash the bottles and burn the corks!

Cut the cloth and tread on the fat!
    Pour the milk on the pantry floor!
    Leave the bones on the bedroom mat!
    Splash the wine on every door!

Dump the crocks in a boiling bowl;
    Pound them up with a thumping pole;
    And when you've finished, if any are whole,
    Send them down the hall to roll!

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
    So, carefully! carefully! with the plates!

Aw yeah, those dwarves sure were some dour, humorless SOBs.