New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default 1.0-3.5 Where can I find more information about the dwarven and elven races/subraces?

This has been on my mind for the past few years.

Where can I find more information about the elf and dwarf subraces? Mainly the core ones found in the PHB and MMs.

I am guessing this information existed prior to 3.x, so WotC decided not to preprint it/go into detail again? Can anyone confirm or correct this?

My homebrewed campaign world deals heavily with the various dwarf and elf subraces, so I could use this information.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Re: 1.0-3.5 Where can I find more information about the dwarven and elven races/subra

What kind of information are you looking for? Social/cultural? Mechanics? All of the above?

Elves and dwarves are both discussed in the Races of... books (Dwarves are in Stone, Elves are in... Wild, I believe), but they don't get into the subraces and such. You might have to just invent stuff on your own, which is always fun, imo.
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: 1.0-3.5 Where can I find more information about the dwarven and elven races/subra

Dwarves - Races of Stone
    Elves - Races of the Wild

Also, remember that some subraces are unique to the Forgotten Realms setting, so you'd need Races of Faerun to read those.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon87 View Post
    What kind of information are you looking for? Social/cultural? Mechanics? All of the above?

Elves and dwarves are both discussed in the Races of... books (Dwarves are in Stone, Elves are in... Wild, I believe), but they don't get into the subraces and such. You might have to just invent stuff on your own, which is always fun, imo.
    Mostly cultural and fluff. The mechanics are already in the MMs.

I figured the various subraces (Wild Elves, Grey Elves, etc) had been detailed in earlier editions. Was I incorrect?

And I knew about the Races of XXXX books, but they only detail the main races.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Zombie

2e:
    Complete book of Elves
    Complete book of Dwarves
    Drow of the Underdark

Which elves and dwarves are you looking for info on? Duegar, which dwarves?

Silvanesti, Kagonesti, Dark, High, Wood, Grey, Shadow, which elves?
    Last edited by shadzar; 2009-05-23 at 05:49 PM. Reason: I don't see any gnomes here,

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    Which elves and dwarves are you looking for info on? Sverbfin(sp), Duegar, which dwarves?
    Svirfneblin are Gnomes. Just btw.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Svirfneblin are Gnomes. Just btw.
    They are all ugly little things, I just have my characters in the wrong folders, but I moved those gnomes back to their proper folders now.

What I get for checking characters rather than thinkg about what I am saying isn't it?
    Last edited by shadzar; 2009-05-24 at 01:49 AM. Reason: k

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

For AD&D 2nd edition, Elves of Evermeet has a pile of information (and even goes into the whole problem of confusing and crossed-over elvish nomenclature). In 3.X, Races of Faerūn is pretty good for both.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For D&D 3.5, start at the Master Player Race List Version 2.0. All the races are in categories, including Dwarves and Elves.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2009-05-24 at 06:26 AM.