New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Level adjustments?

Im not sure where, but ive read people talking about buyback or something similar to that in dealing with level adjustments. Im thinking this is a way to get around the level adjustments. What is this and how does it work? Also, is there ways around level adjustments, and if so, what is the limitations?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Level adjustments?

Here.minimumpostlength
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ra...djustments.htm

This is what you're looking for. Long story short, take your LA, multiply by 3, and when you get to taht level, you pay the level's cost but you don't level up. Now you have to gain as much XP as needed for your level, but your level adujustement doesn't factor in, so you count as a character without any level adjustement at all.

Ex: You roll up an Aasimar. When you get level 3, you have the option of "getting" to level 4, in other words gain 3000 xp, but not leveling up. When you do, pay that 3k xp, you effectively become a character without level adjustement. So level 4 will cost 3k xp, level 5 will cost 4k, etc.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Cedrass explained it best. I just wanted to point out that it works fairly well from a mathematical viewpoint, even though descriptions and examples always make it sound like you are getting screwed.

Eventually it will result in an overall savings in XP compared to not doing it. A little expenditure early on will save a lot later.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2009-05-23 at 09:11 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm actually glad you posted that :P

Even thought I know how it works, I never dared trying it cause I was pretty sure I'd get screwed :P Will have to test it now .

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thank you

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cedrass View Post
    Long story short, take your LA, multiply by 3, and when you get to taht level, you pay the level's cost but you don't level up. Now you have to gain as much XP as needed for your level, but your level adujustement doesn't factor in, so you count as a character without any level adjustement at all.
    Correction, you count as a character with a level adjustment of 1 less. It takes multiple iterations to reduce a higher LA down to 0.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Correction, you count as a character with a level adjustment of 1 less. It takes multiple iterations to reduce a higher LA down to 0.
    Oops. My mistake

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Cedrass View Post
    Even thought I know how it works, I never dared trying it cause I was pretty sure I'd get screwed :P
    At first I though that it was bad short term, but if you look at the rules carefully, it's actually strictly beneficial. When you lose a level's worth of XP, you don't have to give up a level; you just give up a point of LA, which is a good thing.

Basically, instead of always being a level's worth of XP behind (because LA +1 means you're one level behind everyone else), you're now only a fixed amount of XP behind. That fixed amount is a level's worth when you reduce your LA, but it becomes relatively less the more levels you gain, since the amount of XP needed to level keeps increasing.

So, once your LA is paid off, you're just a LA +0 character who gave up some XP in exchange for some extras -- just like with Permanency, inherent stat bonuses from Wish, magic item crafting, etc. It's just that in this case the extras come in the form of a more powerful race.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Don't forget the XP gravy-train. You'll be one level behind the rest of the group, which means you get more XP for the same encounters, until you level up. And since your party will still be slightly ahead of you, there'll be another encounter or two here and there where you'll be just a few XP behind, but be one level lower. So you might actually end up with more XP than they do for awhile.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Who actually follows the charts to the letter? I know I only give them a passing look and then mostly Ad Hoc XP. Has worked so far. Means I don't think youll wind up with more Xp than the others.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2009-05-24 at 02:52 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    Who actually follows the charts to the letter? I know I only give them a passing look and then mostly Ad Hoc XP. Has worked so far. Means I don't think youll wind up with more Xp than the others.
    Not in your games, but in many games, even if the DM doesn't follow the chart, even if he ignores the chart completely, he's supposed to award XP on the basis of how hard the fight is, meaning that you should get more for being a level behind.

And the XP-river is the one thing that makes item crafting viable, so it is generally a good idea to use it whenever a player has different XP for any reason.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    he's supposed to award XP on the basis of how hard the fight is, meaning that you should get more for being a level behind.
    This isn't going to help as much as you think. It doesn't kick in until you have different ECLs, which means identical XP until after the first LA buyoff. But you're behind on LA worth of hit points and other things that can keep you alive from the beginning, and LA+1 worth as soon as you buy off that first LA when everybody else is going up a level. Things could get pretty scary before you start to catch up with the rest of the group.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    But you're behind on LA worth of hit points and other things that can keep you alive from the beginning, and LA+1 worth as soon as you buy off that first LA when everybody else is going up a level.
    You get to go up a level yourself before you give up the XP to reduce your LA. You're only down by as much as you were down by before.

I thought that you had to give up a level's worth of XP without leveling, but upon reading that part of the rules more carefully, it turned out that I was wrong. Again: Buying off LA is strictly beneficial. It's there to help!
    Last edited by Devils_Advocate; 2009-05-24 at 08:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ah, OK. You're still behind on HP -- but that's because of the initial LA, not the buyoff.