New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Diabolist remake

Now, I know this is more powerful then the original diabolist in the Book of Vile Darkness, and I'm not sure how balanced the class was. But from what I could see on paper, all it was was a wizard who could add a iddy biddy little bit of extra damage to thier spells a very limited times a day. So basically what I did with this is put the original diabolist on some weak steroids.
    Hope you like it.

Diabolist

Telmut De Vorian, a diabolist.

Hit Dice: d4

Requirements
    Alignment: Lawful Evil.
    Base Save Bonus: Will +5.
    Skills: Bluff 3 ranks, Intimidate 3 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 8 ranks.
    Feats: Evil Brand, Corrupt Spell, Malign spell focus.
    Special: Must be able to cast shriveling or any corrupt spell.
    Special: The character must offer her soul---but not necessarily her loyalty---to the forces of hell in exchange for power. When the diabolist dies (permenantly), her soul becomes the possession of a powerful devil. The devil uses the soul as it sees fit.

Class skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Spot (Wis).
    Skill points per level: 2+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
    1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Diabolism +1d6|+1 level of spellcasting class
    2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Imp familiar|+1 level of spellcasting class
    3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
    4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Diabolism +2d6|+1 level of spellcasting class
    5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
    6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
    7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Diabolism +3d6|+1 level of spellcasting class
    8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Vile Diabolism|+1 level of spellcasting class
    9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
    10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Diabolism +4d6|+1 level of spellcasting class
    [/table]

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Diabolists gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spells Known/Spells per day: When a diabolist attains 1st level, and at every level after that, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged before she added the prestige class. She does not however, gain any other benefits a character of that class would have gaind (improved chance of controlling or rebuking undead, metamgic or item creation feats, hitpoints recieved beyond those given by the prestige class, and so on), except for increased effective level of spellcasting. This essecially means that she adds the new level of diabolist to the level of wharever other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accoridingly. For example, if Lady Mandrake, a 9th level sorcerer, gains a level in diabolist, she gains new spells as if she had risen to 10th level in sorcerer, but uses the other diabolist aspects of level progression such as base attack bonus and saves bonuses. If she next gains a level of sorcerer, making her a 10th level sorcerer/1st level diabolist she gains spells as if she had risen to an 11th level sorcerer.
    If a character had more than one spellcasting class before she became a diabolist, she must decide to which class she adds the level of diabolist.

Diabolism (Ex): A diabolist can choose to grant one of his spells greater magical power once per day per two diabolist levels but at least once per day. Any spell the diabolist casts that affects a target or area (one that does not include herself) gains the evil descriptor and deals +1d6 points of unholy damage to any good or nuetral character affected by the spell. For example, a fireball cast by a 6th-level wizard/1st level diabolist deals 6d6 points of fire damage and 1d6 points of unholy damage. A hold person spell cast by the same diabolist holds a humanoid target motionless and deals 1d6 points of unholy damage is the target is not evil.
    At 4th level the damage increases to +2d6, at 7th leve it increases to +3d6 and at 10th level it increases to +4d6.

Imp Familiar (Ex): A 2nd-level diabolist gains an imp as a familiar, whether she wants it or not. If the diabolist already has a familiar, the imp devours it and takes its place, although this has no negative affect on the caster. The imp is treated as a normal familiar, using the class level of the diabolist as the wizard's level.

Vile Diabolism (Ex): An 8th level diabolist can use her diabolist power to deal the normal amount of extra unholy damage as vile damage (see Chapter 2 of the book of vile darkness). For example, a fireball cast by a 6th-level wizard/8th-level diabolist deals10d6 points of fire damage and 2d6 points of unholy vile damage. The vile damage only affects good-aligned creatures, so the diabolist may still choose to make it regular unholy damage, not vile.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2006-11-11 at 04:11 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Diabolist remake

I've not seen the original Diabolist, but this seems nearly balanced to me...

Only nerfing thing I'd suggest is changing the Diabolism damage. Maybe less increases (so it only gets up to 3d6), lower die type (d4 in place of d6), or less times per day (once per day per two Diabolist levels, but at least once).

You might want to note that the Imp familiar eating the previous familiar has all the associated penalties of losing a familiar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Altair Vex
    I've not seen the original Diabolist, but this seems nearly balanced to me...

Only nerfing thing I'd suggest is changing the Diabolism damage. Maybe less increases (so it only gets up to 3d6), lower die type (d4 in place of d6), or less times per day (once per day per two Diabolist levels, but at least once).

You might want to note that the Imp familiar eating the previous familiar has all the associated penalties of losing a familiar.
    Oh, I forgot to type in the part where it says the previous familiar's abysmal end has no effect on the original caster.

and I think I agree with you on a change to do with the times per day diabolism

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

so would this be balanced?

Spoiler
    Show