New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Why doesn't anyone play dnd 4e?!?!?!?!?!?

I really like DnD. Well, I like the 4e of it anyway. I tried playing 3.5e, and fell on my a**. So I'm wondering, WHY DOESN"T ANYONE PLAY 4E ON THIS WEBSITE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Why doesn't anyone play dnd 4e?!?!?!?!?!?

This isn't really an appropriate topic (as in, it doesn't really fit with the community the playgrounders have built, not against the rules. Plus, it's like re-igniting the edition wars). What do you expect us to say? "I hate 4th ed.. It has no real ability to optimize. It feels like rolling a d20, adding one, and hoping to go over 6. I believe it's just WOTC's trying to make money, by cutting off the supply of stuff I paid >$200 for. It also reminds me way to much of WOW. Gary Gygax is ashamed of what became of his game." "Because I am too lazy and too in love with Pun-Pun to switch over." "Because I'm an evil Commie-Nazi" "Because I hate the kind of people who play 4th ed." "To spite you." The point is, this thread cannot end well.

P.S. I'm in the first category.

Just realized I'm probably feeding the troll.
    Last edited by Kroy; 2009-05-25 at 09:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    There is no mind control, citizen. Please go back to your fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    Kroy speaks the truth.
    Avatar courtesy of Shades of Grey.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

In part, because it's a primitive system. It's like playing Candy Land after you've played Monopoly for years. Also, the complexity of 3.5 is a comfortable tool, sort of like a swiss army knife.

In part, because I've invested a pleasant chunk of cash in my 3.5 books and they aren't in bad enough condition to warrant buying something else. Also, those pages in 4.0 are SUPER MEGA BRIGHT WHITE.

The biggest thing is that I like 3.5 better.
    Zaphod's just this guy, you know?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrazedBanana View Post
    I really like DnD. Well, I like the 4e of it anyway. I tried playing 3.5e, and fell on my a**. So I'm wondering, WHY DOESN"T ANYONE PLAY 4E ON THIS WEBSITE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Because you asked this question.

Right this very moment.

Yes, that's right. It's all your fault.

In seriousness, there is a small base of 4E players on this site. The 3.X presence is just more notable because it's grown over 8 years.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Plenty of people play 4e here, but the game hasn't caught on too much yet. You will note a number of threads around with 4e in them.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

4.0 == World of Warcraft crammed into to a bastardised D&D system.
    I won't say it is rubbish...

I don't think I need too. :P

3.x has a bazillion mechanics problems, is seriously broken, but with a good DM can be smoothed out and made to work again.
    That gives you a good system (good for a D20 system) with so many options that you can make new characters for nearly a decade and still not really duplicate anything. I make a character every day, at least one, sometimes half a dozen complex characters each and every day. Have done so for a couple of years now. :)
    I don't even need to play 3.x games to have fun with the system!
    lol.

Though if you look me up on rpol I do indeed play quite a bit. :D
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

4e's still the new kid on the block, and D&D has so many followers that you can't reasonably expect most to switch over to the latest thing. And despite the editions being numbered, 4th isn't necessarily an upgrade from 3.5th edition, just a different approach to the same idea. Add into that the fact that many people don't like 4e's different approach, and that 3.5e was successful enough to have tons and tons of supplemental material; switching over isn't necessary or urgent.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

People have different preferences, and they have to go somewhere to discuss them. Although this is not quite like going to Dragonsfoot and asking why none of the posters play D20/3e/4e (many of them actually do), it basically comes down to the same thing. This was always a strongly D20/3e orientated site, it is no surprise that it continues to have a strong following here. That said, I would say that a good 25% of the threads here are now typically about D20/4e (and not reasons why it sucks).
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post

I don't think I need too. (sic) :P
    The world's a funny place. I said exactly the same thing about 3rd edition close to ten years ago, only it was Diablo, not WoW. It took me a long time to get into 3rd ed. (or 3.5, rather... I missed 3.0 entirely), and with the exception of the saving throw system (which is miraculous compared to the old one) I'm still not convinced that it's an improvement over 2nd ed. It's all a matter of perspective.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I don't find it as stimulating. That being said, I can still enjoy a good game of 4e. I just find 3.5 better, and it seems to attract a better caliber of player. (it also attracts powergamers... but let's just say 4e seems to written for people n the 80-100 IQ range... not that smart people can't enjoy it, it's just not as fun for them. Like moving from playing chess to checkers. I wouldn't call 4e Candyland...)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

This website has always been the D&D 3.5 website, the official 4e forums have plenty of people who play 4e. There are still plenty of people here who enjoy 4e.

Unfortunately this forum also has a lot of people who hold an irrational hatred of 4e and demonize it without following any sort of sensible logic. Just because the rules are simpler and less complex doesn't mean the system lacks depth.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2009-05-25 at 10:04 PM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Because spelling, grammar and inflamatory remarks like that cause the 3.xers to lump all of us 4th Eders into the same category.

Honestly, I prefer 4th to 3.5.
    There's a few 4th ed games rcruiting and playing on this very site, as well as a number of 4th Ed-centric threads.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I was... kind of maybe thinking of buying it... I mean, Penny Arcade and Kobold Quarterly seem to like it...

(Raises arms in cringing self-defense)
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a limited number of DMs onsite. DMing is a lot more work than being a player is, and thus a lot fewer people want to DM than play. Further, play-by-post games are relatively difficult to get started. Most games die out during or shortly after their first battle. That makes it bad for DMs as well, as they have to think up a game concept, recruit, and get things started, only for the game to end stillborn. That's over a week of work - most of which is not fun! - for no payoff at all.

Those DMs and players who are part of ongoing games with enthusiastic and responsible participants, which do exist (I'm DMing one now) are not anxious to give that up. Combined with the limited time people actually have to play due to work or school, most are not willing to randomly start new games all the time.

I've noticed that there's not been any new 4E PbPs starting in the last several days, as I've been interested in joining one to play in. But I realize that there aren't a lot of DMs available at this time of year, so I just stay calm and keep waiting. I suggest you do the same, or, in the alternative, figure out a plot and such to DM a game of your own.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post

I don't think I need too. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by RavKal View Post
    In part, because it's a primitive system. It's like playing Candy Land after you've played Monopoly for years. Also, the complexity of 3.5 is a comfortable tool, sort of like a swiss army knife.
    Oh, come now.

Don't mistake 4E's approachability and streamlined nature for simplicity. Just ask a powergamer--there's as much tactical depth in 4E as in any other game, even if a few items didn't make it onto the equipment list and some skills are left to the discretion of the DM.

And that's just on the mechanical level. Obviously, on the RP level, there's nothing reducing the amount of depth possible. In fact, there are those that argue that the removal of "social skills" as numerical constructs deepens the gameplay in this respect.

Disclaimer: I, myself, am a 3.5 gamer, though I own the 4E books.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-05-25 at 10:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RavKal View Post
    In part, because it's a primitive system. It's like playing Candy Land after you've played Monopoly for years.
    As a great man once said: You've obviously never known the frustration of being stuck in the Molasses Swamp.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    Unfortunately this forum also has a lot of people who hold an irrational hatred of 4e and demonize it without following any sort of sensible logic. Just because the rules are simpler and less complex doesn't mean the system lacks depth.
    As evidenced by quite a few posts higher up on the page. Such people really need to chill.

As for why NOBODY plays 4e, I cannot say. For myself, I really don't have the time to play any edition right now. If I had the time, I would play 4th for various reasons that I won't list so as not to feed the trolls. They will cry bloody murder whether I give good reasons or not, so I feel like being lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    I've noticed that there's not been any new 4E PbPs starting in the last several days, as I've been interested in joining one to play in. But I realize that there aren't a lot of DMs available at this time of year, so I just stay calm and keep waiting. I suggest you do the same, or, in the alternative, figure out a plot and such to DM a game of your own.
    I'm still looking for a venue to try out a Shadar-Kai Wizard using Dragon 371 and Complete Arcane.
    >.>
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

20. - Top - End - #20

We do. Not as many though. Oversimplified system, less time, resentment of WoTC, all sorts of reasons.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    I'm still looking for a venue to try out a Shadar-Kai Wizard using Dragon 371 and Complete Arcane.
    >.>
    Yeah, I've been interested in a Storm Sorceror since I was flipping through Arcane Power last Thursday.

Also, you need to check up on Sailors on the Astral Sea more if you're still playing. We're waiting on you again

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Oh, come now.

Don't mistake 4E's approachability and streamlined nature for simplicity. Just ask a powergamer--there's as much tactical depth in 4E as in any other game, even if a few items didn't make it onto the equipment list and some skills are left to the discretion of the DM.

Disclaimer: I, myself, am a 3.5 gamer, though I own the 4E books.
    The approachability doesn't make it simple, it makes it at a lower level, and streamlining makes it more simple, but not in the way that i think he meant it. I guess my biggest beef with 4e is a I hate the concept. I can have fun playing it, but all of it is based on balanced and ignoring all sense of logic. You can sell items for 1/5 their value. Wonderful. Even if you craft your own? Apparently. For no other reason than you are a PC. I train in all the social skills, and make magic items. But no one buys... because I'm a PC. Makes no sense.

That's a minor example. Sure, many would ignore it, but if the world makes no sense or hands out arbitrary restrictions, all its doing is moving back to 1e and 2e - you can't do it, but an NPC can.
    Last edited by EarFall; 2009-05-25 at 10:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by EarFall View Post
    The approachability doesn't make it simple, it makes it at a lower level, and streamlining makes it more simple, but not in the way that i think he meant it. I guess my biggest beef with 4e is a I hate the concept. I can have fun playing it, but all of it is based on balanced and ignoring all sense of logic. You can sell items for 1/5 their value. Wonderful. Even if you craft your own? Apparently. For no other reason than you are a PC. I train in all the social skills, and make magic items. But no one buys... because I'm a PC. Makes no sense.

That's a minor example. Sure, many would ignore it, but if the world makes no sense or hands out arbitrary restrictions, all its doing is moving back to 1e and 2e - you can't do it, but an NPC can.
    While I take issue with the offhand use of "lower level", this is otherwise a perfectly legitimate reason not to like it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    While I take issue with the offhand use of "lower level", this is otherwise a perfectly legitimate reason not to like it.
    My apologies. I do not mean to infer that an inferior intellect person plays 4e, in fact, the smartest one in our group actually prefers it. I merely meant to say the game itself is geared towards those who probably normally don't gravitate towards D&D intellectually.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

wink Re: Why doesn't anyone play dnd 4e?!?!?!?!?!?

Well, I guess I and my local gaming group always *have* been a bunch of nobodies

Jokes aside, I'm old enough to remember the *exact same arguments* when 3.0 came out. Even the "they've simplified it to make it more like a video game" one and the "they've RUINED dual-classing" one. Frankly, as someone that plays 4e and WoW? That video game comparison carries a LOT less weight than people think it does. And I assure you, people thought all the changes in what we now call 2nd Edition were mistakes too.

I'm not saying 4e is perfect -- but then, neither was 3.x and neither will 5e be.
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2009-05-25 at 10:27 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

26. - Top - End - #26

For all its faults, 4e is one of the better tactical wargames on the market. Still, I prefer a system that at least attempts to explain itself and make "real-world" sense, at least for my roleplaying. I've played 4e, enjoyed it very much, and would welcome the opportunity to play it again. It's a better tactical wargame than 3e ever was. But it's less of an RPG, so I don't expect to ever fully leave 3e.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

I want to say that it is significantly because nobody is daft enough to shell out their hard-earned money for a whole new set of rulebooks when they're perfectly happy with the 3.5ed books they've already spent vast amounts of money on.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:
    Aldon Moorcastle (Adventurer Education)
    Edwick the Magnificent (Heroes & Villains)
    My Homebrew: Surikats (Race)

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    the official 4e forums have plenty of people who play 4e.
    90& of the people that populate Gleemax's 4e forums are idiots.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    As a great man once said: You've obviously never known the frustration of being stuck in the Molasses Swamp.
    It's true, I was a Hi-Ho-Cheerio kid. And before anyone else comments on my Candy Land metaphor, chill.

I've played 4.0 and I found parts of it interesting, and it does seem more streamlined and shiny than 3.5, which leads me to another metaphor:

3.5 is sorta like the Millennium Falcon. Let that sink in.
    Zaphod's just this guy, you know?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Homeslice View Post
    90& of the people that populate Gleemax's 4e forums are idiots.
    You know, that's true of almost every forum.

Gleemax, in particular, it's true. Really, the only thing that changes occasionally is what kind of idiots inhabit it.

Previously, it was anti-4E morons. Now, it's pretty much pro-4E morons, supposedly. I don't see much of a difference.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show