1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #656 - The Discussion Thread

Uh oh! O-chul is screwed!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Well, at least O-Chul managed to kill Jirix and poke Redcloak's eye out before he got stomped. Not bad for a tortured prisoner, who took Disintegrate, Meteor Swarm and Maximited Lightning Bolt to the face.

Too bad he didn't actually accomplish anything, thanks to Redcloak being a high level cleric, who can undo all the damage he did in a snap.

...goddamn clerics.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ah yes... another example of why doors are the bane of invisible creatures. I'm thinking that V would've been better served by casting Fly and heading out the rather large opening that used to be the wall of the castle...
    "I am a sexy shoeless god of war!!!" --OOTS #439

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by derfenrirwolv View Post
    Anyone else wondering why demons have to go to the bathroom? (and seriously hoping that john is the bathroom?)
    They don't HAVE to go use the bathroom; they do it because it's FUN to go onto the poor tortured soul named John...probably punishment for a life of peeking into the outhouse at others...

5. - Top - End - #95

OrcBarbarianGuy

re: damage-

We cannot know how many hp Ochul has, but.... he looks alot less "wounded" than he did here:http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0542.html

Possible but not likely. Given Xykons level , magic items, and o chuls lack of equipment +a fighter paladin's lack of a reflex save i think you're looking at the "only on a natural 20" there... and O'chuls used up those for a while i think.
    The base Save for a LB is 13 +int. Xkon doesn't seem that smart, but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and say 18-19, that gives a +4, so a 17 save...

Ochul was a fighter for 12 years http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html. if he got to 9th level (not unlikely) he has a +3 to his save. if he has more than 5 levels of paladin, he gets a +2. That gives him a 40% chance of making the save (he needs a 12 or better) If his levels were lower (as low as 6/3), then he would need a 14 or better. Still well within the realm of reasonable.

To reach "natural 20" range, you'd need to believe Xykon had an int of 22 or 26

Of course I just bollocksed this up because I forgot X was a sorcerer, and thus uses charisma....I wonder how many people will quote it anyway to point out my error....

-+G

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

There goes Jirix. As I feared he was nothing but another redshirt. Wonder if Redcloack (wherever he is) will bother to resurrect him. But we haven't seen him resurrecting hobbos, not even after his fall-from-the-horse. More likely poor Jirix will join the zombie waggon, like usual for Team Evil's minions.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think Xykon will kill O-Chul, at least not now. If Team Evil wanted O-Chul dead, they would have killed him long time ago. But they hold him prisoner, for a reason. Of course, both Redcloack and Jirix know that O-Chul is a liability, and would kill him straight right now. But Redcloack is gone and Jirix is dead. And for Xykon, O-Chul is still a potentially valuable source of information that must be kept alive and in prison for torture.

As for V, I still wonder why she hasn't just fly away through the hole in the wall. The Fiends confirm that their plan involves V being alive, so the speculations about their plan being taking control of her later when near a Gate gain strenght.

So what now? Is the Imp gonna teleport there and open the door for V?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A new OotS? On my birthday? Giant, you shouldn't have!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

The base Save for a LB is 13 +int. Xkon doesn't seem that smart, but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and say 18-19, that gives a +4, so a 17 save...
    He's a Sorcerer. It's CHA, not INT.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Hi this is my first post on the forums after reading OOTS for a couple years now.

Probably a stretch here, but maybe the cage had some magic protection to keep people in. Holding the bars is now protecting him in some way. Like I said its a stretch.
    Last edited by Sleypy; 2009-05-26 at 09:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100

I think one of the best intel gathered here is that V now knows that Red Cloak's Holy Symbol is incredibly important.

I like MiTD as being cute and somewhat silly. On one hand, I want him to rescue O-Chul but if he does so, he'll have *gulp* character development. Well, as long as it all works out....

I hope they raise Jirix. He was a good right-hand man for Red Cloak.

Tsukiko is still sleeping somewhere on the other side of that door. Even if makes it through, it's going to be hard as heck to escape. Especially since all The Goblins are trained.

Maybe losing the splices reverted V back to how she was before the splicing - not reversing the healing from not trancing but reverting her spell slots back to empty. I checked, Fly is a level more than Invisibility so that could be a reason. I wouldn't know though.
    Last edited by Super_slash2; 2009-05-26 at 09:36 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lay on hands requires a charismia bonus
    It was his dump stat when he was a fighter, doesn't mean he didn't buy it up as a paladin :)

12. - Top - End - #102

RedWizardGuy

Say, am I the only one who really liked O-Chul in panel 7? Poor guy.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Stairs? Why's V considering use of the stairs? I mean, it's not like there's a sign saying, "In case of Meteor Swarm, do not use elevator". It's times like these that the rope and grappling hook might be handy. Or... any of three spells:

Spoiler
    Show
    Feather Fall, of course, would be the most useful, but it gives V's position away.

Hold Portal is the one I'd like to see used, just because it seems like the absolute worst spell for this situation. Naturally, that's why I doubt we'll see it.

Suggestion is the obvious third, though I can't see any advantage to getting O-Chul to open the door instead. There are other things he might be able to persuade O-Chul to do, but I don't know of any that might be more useful than getting the paladin to do than he's already failing to do. Okay, I can think of one thing, but I'm not sure how getting O-Chul to talk to Xykon would help either. The paladin doesn't know anything about the other gates.

As for Invisibility, well, there goes any chance of a potty break for V today, unless it's being taken right now. Under the circumstances, that would be a reasonable possibility, but it would mean that the fiends would know the answer to the gender question.

Disintegrating the phylactery wouldn't be a bad idea, but V's entire personal supply was used up fighting an imp, and the link won't provide any more. That other suggestion for dealing with it was pretty good, though.

Curiously, I feel bad for everyone in this strip, some more than others. Jirix gets the most sympathy for taking one for his team. O-Chul next, because it hurts and stings. V next because it sucks when your 18 Intelligence loses out to inanimate objects, but hey, kudos to the elf for grabbing the opportunity to flee. Then it's the phylactery, because really, who wants to be pounded on by Xykon. Then it's the fiends down below, because is there anything sadder than a bunch of would-be evil masterminds with nothing better to do than sit around on the coach watching reality television? Then it's Qaar, because while being the houseguest of that particular group is pretty sad, hey, at least there are snacks and free cable.

Last is Xykon, and that's only because I remember the frustration of misplacing an action figure.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

V's not going to get redeemed. V is going to escape, terribly miss having ultimate arcane power, and try negotiating another deal to get it back "for just a little longer". Only this time the terms of the deal and the benefits won't be nearly so favorable.

The fiends wouldn't have offered the original deal if they didn't have reason to think it would lead to something really worthwhile, and V hasn't fallen enough yet to qualify.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Cool, and I just wondered when O-Chul would kill Jirix. Got a bit dissapointed when V didn't manage to do that. Lack of casualties, lost the feeling of ultimate power.

And a closed door

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower View Post
    Disintegrating the phylactery wouldn't be a bad idea, but V's entire personal supply was used up fighting an imp, and the link won't provide any more. That other suggestion for dealing with it was pretty good, though.
    But V was restored as through eight hours of rest as a part of the deal. S/he should have some Disintegrations prepared.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2009-05-26 at 09:47 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't understand the title. WHAT probably squeaks? The Holy symbol/ phylactery? Why should it squeak? I get the feeling I'm missing some reference here.
    Last edited by Ron Miel; 2009-05-26 at 09:50 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I don't understand the title. WHAT probably squeaks? The Holy symbol/ phylactery? Why should it squeak? I get the feeling I'm missing some reference here.
    The door

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

I just thought - it's interesting how Xykon has shown no concern at all for Redcloak's well being, even though he must realise for O-Chul to have Redcloak's Holy Symbol something must have happened to Redcloak.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    There goes Jirix. As I feared he was nothing but another redshirt. Wonder if Redcloack (wherever he is) will bother to resurrect him. But we haven't seen him resurrecting hobbos, not even after his fall-from-the-horse. More likely poor Jirix will join the zombie waggon, like usual for Team Evil's minions.
    I think having a name and share a plot important moment with Redcloak should count for something. If not getting raised he could at least get an intelligent undead treatment from Tsukiko.

He deserves better then mere zombie-hood.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think Xykon will kill O-Chul, at least not now. If Team Evil wanted O-Chul dead, they would have killed him long time ago. But they hold him prisoner, for a reason. Of course, both Redcloack and Jirix know that O-Chul is a liability, and would kill him straight right now. But Redcloack is gone and Jirix is dead. And for Xykon, O-Chul is still a potentially valuable source of information that must be kept alive and in prison for torture.
    Hehe, it would be kind of funny if Redcloak came back and saw O-Chul still alive and totally flipped out at Xykon, asking why he didn't kill him, only for Xykon to point out how Redcloak told him not to kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower
    Curiously, I feel bad for everyone in this strip, some more than others. Jirix gets the most sympathy for taking one for his team.
    Yeah, he was a trooper, even coming back to check on Redcloak, which is brave considering the maddness that had been occuring. And he did the smart thing alerting Xykon.

Disintegrating the phylactery wouldn't be a bad idea, but V's entire personal supply was used up fighting an imp, and the link won't provide any more.
    Maybe, although V would have heard Xykon say there were magical protections on it, so he might not want to waste spells (even if he had some disintegrates left).

19. - Top - End - #109

DwarfClericGuy

Seems to me that months of meditating/pondering about the Azure city battle did little to nothing to improve V's demeanor. Still, a logical way out.

O-Chul should pull off a Roy, and just pick up Xykon and throw into something very painful looking which I am sure exists there.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Rev. George, you win! At least one poster didn't read your entire post before correcting you.

dilvish

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. George View Post
    re: damage-

We cannot know how many hp Ochul has, but.... he looks alot less "wounded" than he did here:http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0542.html

Ochul was a fighter for 12 years http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html. if he got to 9th level (not unlikely) he has a +3 to his save. if he has more than 5 levels of paladin, he gets a +2. That gives him a 40% chance of making the save (he needs a 12 or better) If his levels were lower (as low as 6/3), then he would need a 14 or better. Still well within the realm of reasonable.

To reach "natural 20" range, you'd need to believe Xykon had an int of 22 or 26

Of course I just bollocksed this up because I forgot X was a sorcerer, and thus uses charisma....I wonder how many people will quote it anyway to point out my error....

-+G

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

eek Re: OOTS #656 - The Discussion Thread

That callous last line - the Giant wouldn't kill O-Chul offpanel, would he?

And I'm hoping V's pausing there because he's seeing O-Chul's beatdown and having flashbacks to the last time he ran and gearing up to Do Something... but I know he probably won't.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

No doubt O-Chul just got KOed but not killed.

As for his wounds, by now I assume he's got at least 4 paladin levels so he gets spells and he seems to be made of Wisdom so that's at least one CLW to supplement normal healing.

In this combat I think it's safe to assume he's making all of his saves, too.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aapje View Post
    The door
    Okay, that makes sense.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Awww, Xykon just become that much more awesome

Again. I wonder how he keeps doing this?

Oh, and loved that Tolkien reference
    I missed the Tolkien reference. It will probably be obvious to me once you point it out.

Regarding O-Chul's toughness, I still think he has the benefit of friends in high and holy planes. With all his near-death experiences, I assume he has had the opportunity to visit with representatives of the Azurite deities.

dilvish

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    Finally! Wonderful. :) I guess that if the phylactery is going down now, the only way to destroy it would be...
    Give it to Frudu and Samwose to chuck it in a volcano?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by silvadel View Post
    Actually, it would be in Redcloaks style to have a fake door marked "stairs" with a dispel magic/alarm trap set on the doorknob.
    Coated in acid, with a bucket of unholy water waiting right above. And pit fiend venom, lots and lots of pit fiend venom!
    "No extra charge!"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dagren View Post
    #345, last panel.
    Worse than that. The Listen check to HEAR someone spellcasting is roughly DC 0. Localizing him to a single square based on the sound is no worse than DC 20.

Is there any reason to think that ANY of V's spells are prepared silent?

Maybe one or two escape spells, but most of his spells can't be cast invisible without giving away his location.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Man, O-Chul must have a LOT of hit points. Or some "Die Hard" Paladin feat.

I'm glad to see the phylactery wasn't so easy to break. It would have been silly for someone like Xykon to be so careless.

Nice to see the Infernal Trio (what's their name again?) back, and making a point about not being able to interfere directly. Though I was surprised they didn't want V to die, I thought their whole plan was about damning his soul after death. I guess they just want to use him later, perhaps when he finally finds the Snarl.
    Opinions are like butts- everybody has got one, but nobody thinks theirs stinks.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ok, so what's the deal with the fiends really?

They said they can't interact with anyone directly on the mortal plane unless they're making a deal with them, but they've ALREADY make a deal with Vaar, and it involved being able to take him/her over for an amount of time equal to how long the soul splice lasted (for each of them).

So there doesn't seem to be any reason one of them (or one of their minions) couldn't act through Vaar right now to get him/her out of there no problem. And it's obviously in their best interests to do so since they're saying the soul splice will have been a complete waste of time if Vaar dies.

The whole 'can't interfere in the mortal plane directly' line seemed pretty weak when taking into consideration the backstory that's gotten us this far...

That being said, I'd love to see MitD join the fray at this point!
    Last edited by Menas; 2009-05-26 at 10:19 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Great comic, Thanks Giant.

Invisible while an Azurite is in mortal peril and could use some help. Hmmm could this be the act that redeems V or condems him/her?
    Perception is reality.

Non Sum Qualis Eram.