New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beguiler woes

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Beguiler woes

I hate the Undead; they are immune to almost every single one of my primary tricks. Against any other type of monster, I have been highly effective with Charm and Confusion making the 2 melee mop everything up in a couple of rounds. However, I have hit a little bit of a roadblock with Undead and Constructs. So far, my only way of being effective against them is dropping Glitterdust. I understand that Undead are supposed to be my bane but is there anything else I could do?

Best of luck
    -Eddie

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Beguiler woes

Can you give me some more details about your character? Without that info I wouldn't know how to help you.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Systems I'm familiar with (or at least played):
    Spoiler
    Show
    3.5, Pathfinder, Old World of Darkness, Silver Age Sentinels or Tri-Stat, Shadowrun 4th, All Flesh, 40k

My sister: What's in the cave?
    DM: There's cave.
    Me: How big is the cave?
    Dm: There's lots of cave inside this cave.

My Naruto Pathfinder Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Illusions work still(actually better than they do against most enemies), as does buffing the party. Haste is, as always, awesome, and most of the party would love Greater Invisibility. You could also just sit back and let the party do the work, they deserve a couple of victories on their own.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by kyuubigan View Post
    Can you give me some more details about your character? Without that info I wouldn't know how to help you.
    Of course:
    9 Beguiler/1 Mindbender Drow
    SRD, PH2, and Complete Arcane are allowed.

While on that subject, what should I take for my Advanced Learning 1 spell? I looked at all of the spells and I Beguilers get pretty much all of them for level 1.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrusheddie View Post
    While on that subject, what should I take for my Advanced Learning 1 spell? I looked at all of the spells and Beguilers get pretty much all of them for level 1.
    That's pretty standard. If you want versatility, see if your DM will swap Advanced Learning for Ecletic Learning(Duskblade ACF, PHBII, IIRC). It lets you take one spell from any school as a Known Spell with +1 spell level. Generally fair, IMHO. Doesn't help with level one, but should open up your options a bit. For the level 1 spell, I recommend just finding anything that you don't get. It's not exactly a powerhouse level in the first place.

Also, are you using LA buy-off? Because otherwise you should look at Lesser Drow or something.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    That's pretty standard. If you want versatility, see if your DM will swap Advanced Learning for Ecletic Learning(Duskblade ACF, PHBII, IIRC). It lets you take one spell from any school as a Known Spell with +1 spell level. Generally fair, IMHO. Doesn't help with level one, but should open up your options a bit. For the level 1 spell, I recommend just finding anything that you don't get. It's not exactly a powerhouse level in the first place.

Also, are you using LA buy-off? Because otherwise you should look at Lesser Drow or something.
    LA is bought off. Everyone in the party is a 'Monster'. Every Beguiler Handbook I have looked at always suggested taking a spell that does not exist in Complete Arcane or Core for Advanced Learning 1. I am completely clueless as what to take as Distract Assailant is unavailable.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Against non-inteligent undead create an illusion of a wall all around them.

That should do the trick...
    Arena Medals:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrusheddie View Post
    LA is bought off. Everyone in the party is a 'Monster'. Every Beguiler Handbook I have looked at always suggested taking a spell that does not exist in Complete Arcane or Core for Advanced Learning 1. I am completely clueless as what to take as Distract Assailant is unavailable.
    You really don't have many options. It's a level 1 spell, just find any spell in your set of books that you don't already have.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

9. - Top - End - #9

Eclectic Learning is Warmage-only ACF. Duskblades do not have access to it.

So far, my only way of being effective against them is dropping Glitterdust.

I fail to see a problem with spamming Glitterdust every round. It's one of the 10 best 2nd level spells for a reason.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Eclectic Learning is Warmage-only ACF. Duskblades do not have access to it.
    Still should be usable by any class with Advanced Learning. It really doesn't break eanything(especially since Warmages are better off without it).
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    I fail to see a problem with spamming Glitterdust every round. It's one of the 10 best 2nd level spells for a reason.
    That's a binary 10 right?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I hate the Undead; they are immune to almost every single one of my primary tricks.
    Follow up glitterdust with legion of sentinels. Hit them with solid fog as well if you can center them in the emanation from legion. The sheer AoO damage from an undead creature moving 5' through the fog (no 5' step -- it's a full round action to move even 5' in the fog) is daunting. Incorporeal attacks against blind creatures are laughable. In most cases, the AoO only misses on a "1". Against incorporeal undead, you'd need more luck to get those AoOs, but they're still better than many spells against incorporeal creatures.

Alternately, use swift etherealness followed by solid fog on incorporeal undead and let your teammates slice them up with impunity.

13. - Top - End - #13

Do the attacks made by Legion of Sentinels qualify as Touch Attacks?

A quick check of the SRD says yes.
    Last edited by Zergrusheddie; 2009-05-28 at 10:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

When it comes to undead and similar foes, the beguiler in our group usually Haste's the party, then Glitterdusts the enemies. Also, Solid Fog as required. Not to mention UMD on Wands of Scorching Ray and such...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

For a level 1 spell, why not take Nystul's Magic Aura? Perfect for all sorts of pranks.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Scary View Post
    That's a binary 10 right?
    01101110 01101111

Still should be usable by any class with Advanced Learning. It really doesn't break eanything(especially since Warmages are better off without it).
    I agree, personally. As a side note: Who else thinks the Duskblade should have Advanced Learning for Touch spells?

17. - Top - End - #17

That would be awesome, if not a little overpowered.

Shivering Touch would NOT be good on a duskblade.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

mmm duskblade with belkar's claws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

19. - Top - End - #19

DruidGuy

Hi

Actually Slow is a Transmutation spell, so works against Undead.

And Never, Ever say you can't fight Undead - you have most of the best buffs any arcanist can grant:

Mage Armour, Blur, Invisibility, Silence, See Invisibility, Spider Climb, Haste, Dispel Magic, Invisibility Sphere, Slow, legion of Sentinels, etc, etc.

All these work against Undead.

Cheers
    Paul H
    (Beguiler player)

20. - Top - End - #20

The recurring mention of the spell Legion of Sentinels made me go look it up. Since it was a beguiler spell I tried in the PHBII and found it. So fine you get 4 guys who can make AoO but.... attack bonus? Damage?
    Arena Medals:

21. - Top - End - #21

DruidGuy

Hi

Legion of Sentinals creates a 10' rad Globe of Warriors, not just 4.

If you reasd both the spell info & the intro on the spell list index, you see that:
    Attack = your CL
    Damage = D8 + (your CL/3)
    AC 25
    HP CL * 2
    All skill checks taken with bonus equal to your CL

Cheers
    Paul H
    PS have forced an Illithid to flee after beating him with the legion.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Hi

If you read both the spell info & the intro on the spell list index, you see that:
    Attack = your CL
    Damage = D8 + (your CL/3)
    Wow, thanks. I can't tell you how long that's been bothering me for. Seems a pretty ass backwards way to organize info, don't you think? With half the information on the table and the other half in the description. Oy.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

23. - Top - End - #23

You could always grab say, a fire spell, and then the Fiery Burst feat. It's not always the most optimal choice for arcane casters, but it will give you a type of attack that Beguilers can't easily access. If the illusions and mind tricks fail, you can always try burning things.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

i agree with the waspinator.get a fire spell or something.a wand or gloves of burning hands work too.of course,you could just buy a good sword and wack stuff with it.good luck

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I don't have the books in front of me now, but as i recall, beguilers do not have the Shadow Conjuration/Evocation series in their normal spell lists. However, those spells are illusions, and you can take them with Advanced Learning.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you want some blasting power, no need to waste a feat on Fiery Burst ...

Gloves of the Starry Sky and Goggles of the Golden Sun, from the MIC, are cheap and allow you to convert your usual spell slots into Magic Missile or Fireball, respectively (3/day each).
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    I don't have the books in front of me now, but as i recall, beguilers do not have the Shadow Conjuration/Evocation series in their normal spell lists. However, those spells are illusions, and you can take them with Advanced Learning.
    Not at 1st level of spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    If you want some blasting power, no need to waste a feat on Fiery Burst ...

Gloves of the Starry Sky and Goggles of the Golden Sun, from the MIC, are cheap and allow you to convert your usual spell slots into Magic Missile or Fireball, respectively (3/day each).
    I can't seem to find those. Do you know what pages they are on?
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    I can't seem to find those. Do you know what pages they are on?
    Might be tricky to find as it's a collection. Both are actually a part of the same collection: Raiment of the Four. Page 204 in MIC.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-06-01 at 07:42 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

30. - Top - End - #30

Huh. Must've missed looking at that set before. It's a cool collection. Thanks!