New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Monk/Wizard

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Monk/Wizard

Recently I stumbled upon a statement in the 3.5 PHB that a wizard could use an unarmed attack to deliver a touch spell. In 3.0 FR there is a Monastic Order "The Shining Hands" that worship Azuth and can multi-class as Wizard as long as their monk level equals or exceeds the wizard level. Has anyone ever used or heard of a monkizard capable of casting shocking grasp and then punching an enemy to discharge it?
    Long time reader and lurker turned poster

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Monk/Wizard

Not really, cause Monks make awful gishes due to sucking. You want Duskblades and such, they can channel spells through melee attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Actually, a Monk dip might work. Boost your saves, boost your AC (not a major concern, but nice to have), get Improved Grapple (not going to save your butt in an AMF, but better than nothing) and Deflect Arrows (for those archers who love disrupting spellcasting). Certainly far from optimal, but probably well within the bounds of playability. In a low-optimization, high-lethality group, this could give you some added survivability without requiring the standard twinky uber-prepared defenses.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flickerdart, that wasn't very helpful at all. Try to give a reason for your response, especially to someone who is new. I also think you missed the point of what he was saying. He's not trying to build a gish, just looking at this one combo. As a sidenote which really isn't related to the topic, any class which doesn't advance spellcasting makes a bad gish; monks "sucking" has nothing to do with it.

Back on topic, I'm assuming you meant a 1-level dip into wizard for shocking grasp, with something like Practiced Spellcaster to give you the extra 4d6 damage? It only applies to the first attack of the fight, after which it is discharged. During a fight, your standard action to cast the spell would be better spent elsewhere. So no, I don't think this a very effective combo.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Has anyone ever used or heard of a monkizard capable of casting shocking grasp and then punching an enemy to discharge it?
    Enlightened Fist, a Prestige Class in... hmm, not Complete Mage, so must be Complete Arcane. It's all about this. It'll make the concept work approximately infinity times better than just split-classing monk and wizard.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A monk 1/Wizard 4/Enlightened Fist 10/Whatever 5 might be valid. Just be sure to use Cardamine Monk/Kung Fu Genius to negate MAD.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2009-05-29 at 11:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Get the Ascetic Mage Feat. It's from CADV. Yeah so. A Monk/Wiz/Enlightened Fist is the way to go. With Ascetic Mage to start the stacking even before Enlightender Fist.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    Get the Ascetic Mage Feat. It's from CADV. Yeah so. A Monk/Wiz/Enlightened Fist is the way to go. With Ascetic Mage to start the stacking even before Enlightender Fist.
    Off the top of my head, that only applies to Sorcerer.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Just posting to clarify that it is indeed Sorcerer only (ZN didn't sound too sure).

EDIT: It's actually "spontaneous caster" only, so you could do it with Warmage or something too.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2009-05-29 at 11:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I haven't heard of it, but you have given me a great idea for a 7monk/13 duskblade. The great deal of attacks the monk gets would work great with a full attack channel that the duskblade gets at level 13.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taim View Post
    I haven't heard of it, but you have given me a great idea for a 7monk/13 duskblade. The great deal of attacks the monk gets would work great with a full attack channel that the duskblade gets at level 13.
    Why Monk 7? It gets Flurry of Blows at 1, a bonus feat at 2 and 6, and Unarmed Damage maxes at 11.
    I'd recommend Duskblade 13/Monk 1/Enlightened Fist 6 or something long before 7 levels of Monk.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

12. - Top - End - #12

It's a shame Monk/Wizards have so few PrCs to work with (Enlightened Fist and Master of East Wind, if I remember correctly? Do let me know if there are others out there, official or third party). It's a very interesting combo if you watch any anime.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

a better option would be Talashtorian (or however its spelled) from secrets of sarlona, it makes monk levels stack with a manifester class of your choice for unarmed damage, speed and flurry of blows.

that way you can also make a monk/psion/slayer or just a
    monk/psionic warrior.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpoo22 View Post
    Back on topic, I'm assuming you meant a 1-level dip into wizard for shocking grasp, with something like Practiced Spellcaster to give you the extra 4d6 damage? It only applies to the first attack of the fight, after which it is discharged. During a fight, your standard action to cast the spell would be better spent elsewhere. So no, I don't think this a very effective combo.
    How about Chill Touch? It wouldn't be as much damage, but it works 1/level, and deals a small amount of Str damage too.

15. - Top - End - #15

See if your DM will let you use the Enlightened fist with Wizards instead of the Sorcerer, most PrCs are adjustable to a different style with a little bit of work
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    See if your DM will let you use the Enlightened fist with Wizards instead of the Sorcerer, most PrCs are adjustable to a different style with a little bit of work
    It does work with wizards. It works with any arcane caster that can cast 3rd level spells (so... any arcane caster).

Ascetic Mage only works with spontaneous casters, but you can even make a wizard do that with the right feats.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    It does work with wizards. It works with any arcane caster that can cast 3rd level spells (so... any arcane caster).
    Not really. It works with Arcane Caster Level 3rd, rather than an arcane caster that can cast 3rd level spells. So, a 3rd-level Warlock, as well as a 3rd-level Sorcerer, can benefit from the class.

Although one of the class features specifically requires spell slots, so Warlock loses some of the utility.
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2009-05-30 at 07:33 AM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I misread the prerequisites. My apologies.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Then there is always the option to be just a monk and use wands for all lvl 1-4 touch spells...

- Giacomo

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dagren View Post
    How about Chill Touch? It wouldn't be as much damage, but it works 1/level, and deals a small amount of Str damage too.
    This. If you can get the Fell Drain feat, which deals a negative level when you do damage with a spell, and Arcane Thesis or other metamagic reducers, this becomes awesome. Doing a negative level every time you touch someone, when you have Flurry of Blows? Yes please. This is the effect of Spectral Touch (a 5th-level spell) for a 1st or 2nd level slot.

Also, taking the Arcane Disciple feat (which lets you cast a divine spell as an arcane spell) for Divine Might is very helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Switch Wizard for Sorcerer and use Ascetic Mage to get your Cha bonus to AC. A Monk 1/ Sorcerer 4/ Enlightened Fist 5/ Master of the East Wind 10 gets 18th level spellcasting before Practiced Spellcaster, and 16th level Monk abilities before a Monk's Belt or Tattoo.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you want to be cheap as hell, you could take levels in wizard/sorc until you get to lev 3 spells, then use the spell Shivering Touch, from Frostburn, in conjunction with monk attacks. 3d6 Dex on a touch attack? Ouch.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raptor1056 View Post
    If you want to be cheap as hell, you could take levels in wizard/sorc until you get to lev 3 spells, then use the spell Shivering Touch, from Frostburn, in conjunction with monk attacks. 3d6 Dex on a touch attack? Ouch.
    If you use it with monk attacks, then you're making regular attacks, not touch attacks. The point of doing it that way is to do unarmed damage in addition to the spell effect. If you want to do touch attacks, just cast the spell normally. Or use wraithstrike.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I'd sooner see a Wizard just gish himself (or herself, we're equal-opportunity here) up than actually split-class with Monk. Fist of Stone, Bite of the Werewhatever, (Greater) Mighty Wallop, Wraithstrike, Haste, Alter Self, and so on will make you a much better melee combatant than a monk/wiz. You won't be able to flurry, but I can think of only a tiny tiny number of spells in which that would actually make a difference, and those require either quickening or spending multiple turns to actually use (standard to cast, full to flurry).

Why burn levels when you can just burn spells?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

25. - Top - End - #25

EvilClericGuy

One thing to remember if you plan on using touch spells as your primary method of attack, is that if you don't discharge a touch spell immediately after casting, you can hold the charge for it indefinately, so you can cast the spell well before you get into combat just to be ready.

Incidentally, I don't recall the the rules ever stating that you can't hold multiple charges, so you could probably get away with casting a touch spell on each hand prior to combat. Of course since the monk can strike with feet, elbows, and knees as well as fists, it's concievable that you could have up to eight touch spells cast and ready to be discharged before any given fight.
    Last edited by Woot Spitum; 2009-05-30 at 07:26 PM.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

26. - Top - End - #26

Fair enough
    I'm nowhere near my books so i was offering a generic suggestion to adapt if it didn't fit
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.
    In Actions In Combat and repeated in Spell Descriptions- Touch Spells and Holding the Charge.

There is a spell whose function is to enable holding more than one Touch spell. It's.. fourth level, I think, and called 'Arcane Flower' or something cheesy like that. Spell Compendium is the current source.

28. - Top - End - #28

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    In Actions In Combat and repeated in Spell Descriptions- Touch Spells and Holding the Charge.

There is a spell whose function is to enable holding more than one Touch spell. It's.. fourth level, I think, and called 'Arcane Flower' or something cheesy like that. Spell Compendium is the current source.
    So it is. Too bad.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore