New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default New type of creature, like the game needed another

(Well, for a long time I have wanted to convert some of the characters and virjii from Capcoms "Megaman Battle Network" to DnD. Unfortunately I couldn't find any type of creature that seemed to match their abilities. Outsider came the closest, so I am basing it of them. Yes, they will be quite similar, but with hopefully different flavour. Chocolate rather than vanilla.)

Network Type

A Network creature is create by impulses and stimuli. All Network creatures have either the Navi subtype, the Program subtype or the Virjii subtype. Virjii are mindless, malevolent impulses which only purpose is destroy and recreate. They attack everything they see, except other virjii, and do their best to destroy it, not stopping until either the opponent is killed, or it is deleted. Programs are logical impulses. While calculated and intelligent, they lack a free will and can only do what they are told to do, just like golems. However, unlike golems, programs are aware of their surroundings on an entirely different plane and can choose how to best fulfill their purpose. Navis are intelligent creatures, often humanoid, with superhuman abilities, be it natural weapons, magical abilities or incredible strenght, endurance and so on. Unlike Virjii and Programs, Navis have a soul and a free will. Navis very much resemble humanoids in thoughts and action and can easily be mistaken for a regular humanoid most of the time.

Network creatures dwell on the net, a subplane to all the other planes. The net has connections to all planes (except the astral plane), and the net itself is influenced by the planes. Thus, net areas near the abyss will be similar to the abyss, while net areas near the material planes will be similar to the material plane. However, the net itself is always mildly neutral aligned, and creatures of any alignment can be on the plane without suffering any ill effects. Even the undernet, home to evil Navis is safe (well, as safe a place can be where the inhabitants won't think twice about killing you) There is one exception to this though. There are two aligned areas on the net, the dark world and the secret area. The dark world is chaotic evil aligned and home of the dark denizens, the nets verison of demons and devils. Any good character travelling in the dark world has a 5% risk of being attacked by a dark denizen verison of himself. The secret area is lawful good aligned and home to Serenade, the only good dark denizen. The secret area is deep in the net, and no one except Serenade knows it's exact location. The secret area itself can only be entered normally by good or neutral aligned characters, however, evil characters cannot enter unless they have 20 or more HD.

Features:

A Network has the following features.

• 10-sided Hit Dice.
    • Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).
    • Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
    • Skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

A Network possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry)
    • Upon death, a Network creature instantly disintegrates and can only be raised by spells that do not rely on a body to be intact.
    • Proficient with natural weapons and all simple and martial weapons.
    • Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Network not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Network are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
    • Network breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New type of creature, like the game needed ano

Umm... Wouldn't virtual reality critters fit D20 Modern better than D&D? :P

Also, they'd be Constructs.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes and No.

Yes, they would fit better, but I don't know D20 modern so I would still be unable to use them.

No, they can't be constructs considering that they go against most of the abilities that constructs have. At least in the game.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

they're still constructs

constructs with a special quality to seperate them from other constructs but still constructs..

5. - Top - End - #5
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Well...no. Constructs lack a Constitution score, and often an Intelligence score too. These appear to retain the intelligence score, so they can't be Constructs. Living Constructs are a different matter entirely, but that's for a separate topic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

There's a construct in the Fiend Folio with an intelligence score. There are exceptions. There are always exceptions.

I really don't see why these wouldn't just be special Constructs.

(Also, on your type traits... they're hugely overpowered. HD and base attack as a fighter, saves as a monk and skills as a rogue? No. Just... no.)
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #7

constructs only offically lack CON scores, they can have INT based on how sophisticated they're made. mindless golems have low INT or none at all, warforged have the same as a demihuman.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

No, I can't use a construct. You see...

They have a constitution score,
    Lack LLV,
    Do not have darkvision,
    Is not immune to mind effect (I'd say they are weak to them)
    Is not immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
    Is subjected to to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
    Not Immune to Fortitude effects.
    At risk of death from massive damage.
    Is very much alive.
    Does not gain bonus hp from size.
    Has proficiencies.
    Needs to breathe.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma
    (Also, on your type traits... they're hugely overpowered. HD and base attack as a fighter, saves as a monk and skills as a rogue? No. Just... no.)
    Almost identical to the Outsider type then?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring
    No, I can't use a construct. You see...

They have a constitution score,
    Lack LLV,
    Do not have darkvision,
    Is not immune to mind effect (I'd say they are weak to them)
    Is not immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
    Is subjected to to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
    Not Immune to Fortitude effects.
    At risk of death from massive damage.
    Is very much alive.
    Does not gain bonus hp from size.
    Has proficiencies.
    Needs to breathe.

I don't understand if its an VR thingy-a-bob why do they need to breath? and how can they be considered alive when they are life signs negative? i think best is to give the abberition or magical creature sub-type. elemental (digital) might be a new type that would work.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Why not just using the living construct subtype, like a warforged. They have the construct type, but not all of the contruct strengths. They have con scores, have an intelligence, and only retain a few of their normal abilities.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know about living constructs. Do they need to breathe and can they get tired?

And I didn't understand Ing, the part about life signs negative. Nontheless, they do indeed breathe. And the elemental digital thing was kinda neat. Maybe... If I can find a type that is similar enough.