New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 13th Level adventure

My gaming group likes to rotate DM duty, and I volunteered today to serve in two weeks. The problem is that I don't have anything prepared right now aside from my own character (and I'd rather not have a DMPC).

So here's my question: Does anyone have a pre-made adventure for level 13-ish characters? We prefer playing D&D version 3.5, and there's six players in the group (plus the DM), but none of us are interested in min-maxing. We prefer battle over role-playing and have access to Dragon magazines all the way back to 2004. If there are any adventures that were particularly memorable, I would love to run them.

So how about it, playgrounders? Anything adventures that really engrossed you or your players, and generated long-lasting memories?
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2009-05-30 at 08:50 PM.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 13th Level adventure

I haven't played any of them, but the WotC Original Adventures archive has several 12th-14th level adventures you could use. Two are specifically for 13th level (Desert Sands and A Frigid Demise).
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

3. - Top - End - #3

Eh, after looking through four or five of those adventures, I find most of them to be kind of mediocre. Dungeon crawls or fighting through some minions to get at a boss. Does anyone have an adventure with real effect? Something with an actual plot and a satisfying ending. Something other than hack 'n slash, which is what we do every week.
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post
    Something with an actual plot and a satisfying ending.
    See, that's virtually impossible to pre-package and dole out as per a module. Because a satisfying ending requires the players to be invested in their success. Besides, you can modify a module to have ties to the players' characters if you want something to be satisfying for you.

5. - Top - End - #5

Hrm. I hadn't considered that. My goal here is to get the rest of my group to experiment with roleplaying and making personalities for their characters. Now, I understand that this has more to do with how I go about DMing, but I'd just like to know if there are any adventure paths that have a good balance of roleplaying and combat to use as a springboard.

Essentially, I'm short on time, and can't put the effort I would like into making a full adventure for the group. Once I have an adventure laid out, I can put in NPCs and other connections that will make it personally appealing to the PCs. I figure that some playgrounders might have fond memories of great adventures form their past. What I'm most looking for are completed stat blocks for baddies and mapped environments.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, after looking through four or five of those adventures, I find most of them to be kind of mediocre. Dungeon crawls or fighting through some minions to get at a boss.
    Ah, I assume that's kinda what you wanted since you said your group prefers "battle over role-playing." And they may not be great, but when you're in a hurry, you use what you can (and alter so it's decent).

I don't usually play at that high a level, but I've seen a few others you might be able to get in the next week or so. Deep Horizon is one I considered buying at the used books store a few weeks ago, and I did pick up Heart of Nightfang Spire a while back. (It's particularly deadly, so the level different between 10 and 13 probably won't be too bad.)

City of the Spider Queen is also a pretty big and famous module, and apparently takes characters from 10th-18th level. That might work.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

7. - Top - End - #7

Ooh. I'll give it a shot. Contrary to my earlier comment, I think I'm gonna have the group start an adventure using Desert Sands as an apparently-simple starting point, then throw in some crazy stuff involving ancient prophecies and desert-roving undead. So as it turns out, you helped me a whole lot. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Ooh. I'll give it a shot. Contrary to my earlier comment, I think I'm gonna have the group start an adventure using Desert Sands as an apparently-simple starting point, then throw in some crazy stuff involving ancient prophecies and desert-roving undead. So as it turns out, you helped me a whole lot. Thanks!
    You're very welcome! Now, just go pick up Sandstorm - it's got a TON of awesome desert related stuff, including the Dry Lich (which could be a great BBEG).

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium