Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Xallace's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cocoon

    Default What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    So I haven't contributed anything of my own to the homebrew forum for a while, and I'll admit I've had "creator's block" for a little while now. So, I thought the Homebrewers could be so kind as to give me that jump start I need!

    Here are the things I have started but never finished:

    • The Zeits: Not satisfied with any "time mage" class I've ever seen (no offense to those who made them, just not my style), I came up with these guys. A "Zeit" (german for "time," because it sounds cool) is a mortal creature that perceives time as a plane (like a new axis on a graph) instead of a linear progression of events. Because of this, Zeits can utilize "Zeitreise," the ability to traverse the temporal landscape as easily as they could walk down the street.
      It is currently conceptualized as a 3.5 base class (although I've been thinking 4th, too).
    • The Puppeteer: Based sort-of on the warlock, puppeteers are part telekinetic and part artificer. Those with this power utilize bonded "puppets," item familiars that work as weapons and tools. They can build mundane upgrades of great variety into their puppets, allowing them great utility.
      Yeah, it's been done before, but I wanted to try the "puppeteer" idea with different mechanics. I thought I could make it smooth and easy.
    • New Warlock Sources: Not counting generically dark warlocks, Infernal warlocks are the only warlocks in 3.5 to receive much material. I mean, sure, fey get some, but they're really out gunned. The thing is, other sources are mentioned as possible warlock origins, and they receive no support at all. So, this would be coming up with new invocations and alternate class features for Chaos, Death, Ancestral, and Fey warlocks.
    • The Mach Paladin: I had a class called the "Mercurial Avenger" on here a long while back, a prestige class for people who wanted to be agile holy warriors (and by "agile" I mean "the Flash").
    • The Sublime Sub-Nine Martial arts evolve over time, and the disciplines in the Book of Nine Swords are no different. As different races pick up the same maneuvers, they combine them with unique racial abilities. New maneuvers, feats, and prestige classes for non-standard (even monstrous) races that want to follow the Sublime Way.
      From lycanthropes to thri-kreen to even Uldra and Dvati, taking racial abilities into account and combining them with martial disciplines to make (almost) whole new fighting styles!
    • (Home)Brewing!: New drinks, drunkeness/sobriety rules, the church of beer!
      Inspired by arguskos and Katasi


    {table=head]Zeit|Puppeteer|Paladin|Warlock|Sub-Nine|Posts discussing Pokemon|Beer!
    3|5|2|8|2|5|2[/table]

    So, good people of the Playground.... what should I go with? What would interest you to see? Any of them? "None" is an OK answer, it just means I'll have to think harder!
    Last edited by Xallace; 2009-06-02 at 05:09 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UTC -6

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    [*]The Mach Paladin: I had a class called the "Mercurial Avenger" on here a long while back, a prestige class for people who wanted to be agile holy warriors (and by "agile" I mean "the Flash").
    These are the class's holy mounts.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lord Loss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    So I haven't contributed anything of my own to the homebrew forum for a while, and I'll admit I've had "creator's block" for a little while now. So, I thought the Homebrewers could be so kind as to give me that jump start I need!

    Here are the things I have started but never finished:

    • The Zeits: Not satisfied with any "time mage" class I've ever seen (no offense to those who made them, just not my style), I came up with these guys. A "Zeit" (german for "time," because it sounds cool) is a mortal creature that perceives time as a plane (like a new axis on a graph) instead of a linear progression of events. Because of this, Zeits can utilize "Zeitreise," the ability to traverse the temporal landscape as easily as they could walk down the street.
      It is currently conceptualized as a 3.5 base class (although I've been thinking 4th, too).
    • The Puppeteer: Based sort-of on the warlock, puppeteers are part telekinetic and part artificer. Those with this power utilize bonded "puppets," item familiars that work as weapons and tools. They can build mundane upgrades of great variety into their puppets, allowing them great utility.
      Yeah, it's been done before, but I wanted to try the "puppeteer" idea with different mechanics. I thought I could make it smooth and easy.
    • New Warlock Sources: Not counting generically dark warlocks, Infernal warlocks are the only warlocks in 3.5 to receive much material. I mean, sure, fey get some, but they're really out gunned. The thing is, other sources are mentioned as possible warlock origins, and they receive no support at all. So, this would be coming up with new invocations and alternate class features for Chaos, Death, Ancestral, and Fey warlocks.
    • The Mach Paladin: I had a class called the "Mercurial Avenger" on here a long while back, a prestige class for people who wanted to be agile holy warriors (and by "agile" I mean "the Flash").
    • The Sublime Sub-Nine Martial arts evolve over time, and the disciplines in the Book of Nine Swords are no different. As different races pick up the same maneuvers, they combine them with unique racial abilities. New maneuvers, feats, and prestige classes for non-standard (even monstrous) races that want to follow the Sublime Way.
      From lycanthropes to thri-kreen to even Uldra and Dvati, taking racial abilities into account and combining them with martial disciplines to make (almost) whole new fighting styles!


    So, good people of the Playground.... what should I go with? What would interest you to see? Any of them? "None" is an OK answer, it just means I'll have to think harder!
    I like the pupeteer, as well as the zeit. new class features would be nice for a warlock, but I think we should create a toatally new one. Rock on, dude!

    I'll help in any way I can. Yah Mon!
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

    My Trophies!

    Spoiler
    Show





    Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Xallace's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cocoon

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    These are the class's holy mounts.
    I'll give you Rapidash, I don't know the other one.

    Quote Originally Posted by arb514
    I like the pupeteer, as well as the zeit. new class features would be nice for a warlock, but I think we should create a toatally new one. Rock on, dude!

    I'll help in any way I can. Yah Mon!
    A totally new warlock? What don't you like about the current one?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SurlySeraph's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Department of Smiting
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    I'd love to see new Warlock sources (particularly Death) and the Sublime Sub-Nine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gorgondantess's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Not in a human colon

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    New warlock sources. It's a cool class, and could use some more fleshing out.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    I say go for new Warlock stuff. Love warlocks!

    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

    My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

    Follow me on Facebook!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    I like all of them. If I had to say, least interested in the Puppeteer, but I like all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

    Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Pramxnim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Here's a little something I cooked up a while back that could help warlocks. They were first made as an effort to support the tattooed monk I made, but the Fey and Fiendish heritage lines apply equally well to warlocks. You can make up your own versions for the other possible sources of warlock powers too, if you like.

    Cheers
    Last edited by Pramxnim; 2009-05-30 at 11:14 PM.
    My current homebrews

    The gods play with dice and parchment!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DracoDei's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Atlanta,GA USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    At the moment the Mach Paladin strikes my interest. And, as a more serious alternative to Pokemon, might I suggest a Wing Dragon as an advanced mount (with the appropriate feat).

    On second thought though, I am going to have to say that the race specific ToB based stuff would be even better...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-05-31 at 03:10 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Hmm... the Mach Paladin and Zeit are pretty cool, but the one that really got me interested was the Puppeteer.
    My homebrew (that I like enough to sig, anyway):
    Sublime Ranger, Incarnum Paladin

    Many thanks to lindorm for the amazing SHODAN-clam avatar!

    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Xallace's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cocoon

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Hmm, looks like I should keep track of this.

    {table=head]Zeit|Puppeteer|Paladin|Warlock|Sub-Nine|Posts discussing Pokemon
    3|5|2|6|2|5[/table]

    OK, it's not entirely accurate I suppose (I just went with whatever you all said you were MOST interested in), but warlocks got a definite lead there. Thanks everyone so far!
    Last edited by Xallace; 2009-06-01 at 06:29 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DamnedIrishman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    "Puppeteer!"



    I agree with him. Another vote for Puppeteer.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

    Current Characters:
    Aldon Moorcastle (Adventurer Education)
    Edwick the Magnificent (Heroes & Villains)
    My Homebrew: Surikats (Race)

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Knaight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Warlock Stuff sounds good to me.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

    I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

    Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    These are the class's holy mounts.
    That second one is definatly not holy, and I'm not sure about mounting anything with so many spikes... not sure about mounting rapidash without fire immunity either though.
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Karma Guard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Quote Originally Posted by Katasi View Post
    That second one is definatly not holy, and I'm not sure about mounting anything with so many spikes... not sure about mounting rapidash without fire immunity either though.
    Rapidash are basically Nightmares without the, you know. Nightmares.

    In their pokedex entry it's mentioned that they can control whom their flames burn. ( ._.)./ This is how one rides a horse that happens to be on fire.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Quote Originally Posted by Karma Guard View Post
    Rapidash are basically Nightmares without the, you know. Nightmares.

    In their pokedex entry it's mentioned that they can control whom their flames burn. ( ._.)./ This is how one rides a horse that happens to be on fire.
    Be that as it may....if it can control it's flames like that then it would probably be intelligent, which means legally that it might disagree with you from time to time.... and it's a flaming horse with you on it's back. How else would it show it's displeasure than to let you feel the flames for a bit.
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Pyrusticia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Warlock, definitely! I love playing around with warlocks and more options would be awesome!

    Also, puppeteer sounds interesting...just from the short description you gave, I'm seeing something like that Sand Village character from Naruto. Is that what you had in mind?
    Homebrews - Feel free to use or comment!


    Play Billy vs. Snakemen Today!

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Xallace's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cocoon

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrusticia View Post
    Also, puppeteer sounds interesting...just from the short description you gave, I'm seeing something like that Sand Village character from Naruto. Is that what you had in mind?
    Yeah, I'll admit he was a definite inspiration. The class would certainly NOT be just a d20 version of his abilities, though. I feel there's a lot you can do beyond what that character could.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    I'm disappointed, I was expected some awesome alcohol homebrews (pun totally intended).

    In any case, I like the idea of the Zeit. Let's see more chronomancers!

    Oh, and just to toss your numbers out of whack, gogo Arcanine! Screw Rapi-fail.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-06-01 at 06:23 PM.

    All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I'm disappointed, I was expected some awesome alcohol homebrews (pun totally intended).
    To be honest that's what I expected to.
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Xallace's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cocoon

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Quote Originally Posted by Katasi View Post
    To be honest that's what I expected to.
    Eh, why not? I'll add the idea to the list.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    A vote for non-Infernal Warlocks!

    For a feylock, some nature-themed stuff would be cool.

    I could see an Entangling Blast invocation that causes vines and creepers to wrap around the struck target (creating them in the process, the target can be underwater, in midair or in the middle of the gobi desert), entangling them. When broken (or after 1 minute), the vines wither away to dust.

    An invocation that summons a pair of wolves (and cannot be re-used unless the original pair die) would be neat. As levels increase, the wolves might Advance normally (or become Dire), so that the invocation remains remotely useful at mid levels.

    An invocation that doused an area with hallucinogenic spores and glittering motes of light, acting like a short term confusion spell with a dash of glitterdust (just revealing invisible, not blinding people) could be thematic. Perhaps it goes one step further and glittering material clings to those affected, conferring a faerie fire-like effect as well...


    And then there are the inevitable dragon-themed warlocks (with the dragonfire adept being pretty much already that very thing), celestial themed warlocks (blinding celestial rays, holy smites, protection from evil invocations, etc.), illithid themed warlocks (must resist calling them Psylocks and having the iconic be a hot asian babe in a swimsuit! with dazing and confusing blast invocations, and various other 'psionic' effects such as a mind-reading invocation that causes sickening / nauseating pain in the subject), genie-themed warlocks (create food / items invocation (created stuff vanishes when new stuff is created, only so much 'smokeless fire' is available), create illusions, conjure whirlwinds...), etc.

    I played a far realms-themed daelkyr half-blood warlock in Xendrik Expeditions, whose 'summon swarm' invocation conjured alien creatures that mechanically functioned as a bat swarm (for instance) but resembled flying starfish with tentacles that ended in toothed pads like those of a displacer beast, spinning lazily through the air like sentient self-propelled shuriken, slashing at foes with their tentacles. Each of his invocations had similar 'special effects' to make them creepy and far-realms-esque, but functioned mechanically like the standard Summon Swarm, Shatter and Spider Climb invocations. A special 'aberrant-lock' invocation to summon a pseudonatural critter (or take on the pseudonatural template oneself!) would be thematically cool.
    Last edited by Set; 2009-06-01 at 10:15 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Other sources for warlock powers?

    Seconded!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Xallace's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cocoon

    Default Re: What to Brew? [Any Edition]

    Alright, so if I counted it up right:

    First Place! New Warlock Sources; so that's on the agenda.

    Second Place! It's a tie! The puppeteer and... people... talking about pokemon... The puppeteer!

    Third Place! The Zeit!

    Comments may continue!
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •