A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Adventurer Education

Well, Let's do this Harry Potter style

You are all waiting in Wilsterng Station, waiting for the Elemental powered train ( Yes got it from Eberron) that would take you to your destination to arrive, around you are hundreds of students, and this is just from your region alone, at a dozen of other places and planes hundreds of people are gathering too, to the one place where one can achieve the degree in Adventuring. There is a small cafe that is packed with people there appears to be one empty table of 6.......

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurer Education

Aldon Moorcastle Wilsterng Station Cafe

Whistling a familiar tune, Aldon strolls through the cafe doors at a leisurely pace. The porter carrying his bags waits outside on the platform.
    He casts an eye across the room, and notices the last free table. He smiles softly, walks over to it and sits down in a chair that allows him to watch newcomers entering. He leans back in the seat, putting his feet up on the chair opposite, and waits to see if anyone else will turn up.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:
    Aldon Moorcastle (Adventurer Education)
    Edwick the Magnificent (Heroes & Villains)
    My Homebrew: Surikats (Race)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Elorius Lai

A tall, lean, raven-haired young man makes his way into the crowded cafe, struggling with a single large suitcase. He has a black fiddle case strapped to his back.

"No seats? Aww, come on...wait..."

Spotting a table empty save for a very relaxed-looking person, he yanks at his suitcase once more.

"Excuse me," he says. "Do you mind if I sit here for a bit?"

4. - Top - End - #4

Aldon Moorcastle Wilsterng Station Cafe

Aldon nods as Elorius reaches the table.

"Be my guest, dear sir, be my guest."

When Elorius has settled into a chair, Aldon proffers a hand.

"Aldon Moorcastle. And you might be?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Elorius Lai

With one last mighty yank (and a hernia), Elorius manages to get his suitcase somewhere out of the way.

"Whew! Thanks for the seat." He plunks himself down and grasps the outstretched hand. "Elorius Lai, 2nd year student at the University. Good to meet you. Uh, are you as student by any chance?"

6. - Top - End - #6

Aldon Moorcastle

Aldon shakes Elorius' hand firmly.
    "The pleasure's all mine, Elorius. Yes, I'm a student at the university too. Second year programme in Arcane Studies." He gestures towards Elorius' fiddle case. "May I assume you're on the bardic programme? Whereabouts are you from?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Maria walked in unencumbered by a suitcase; her servant was waiting to load her trunk onto the train when it arrived. She wandered into the cafe and looked for a seat. She noticed a couple of people that she was certain were students at the college, and wandered over to join them since there were no other seats available.

She arrived just as one of the them asked the other if he was a bard, and decided that it was a good time to break into the conversation; it wouldn't be dignified to stand above their table as if she was a waitress or something.

"Greetings, gentlemen." she said politely. "Would you mind if a fellow student of the college shared your table?"

8. - Top - End - #8

Aldon Moorcastle

Aldon grinned wryly at the young woman who approached the table.
    "Why, we wouldn't be gentlemen if we were to decline. Allow me..."

He stood up and walked around the table, pulling out a chair opposite his for Maria to sit on.

"Aldon Moorcastle at your service, ma'am." He gestured towards Elorius with an open hand. "And my musical acquaintance is Elorius Lai. Might I impose upon such an enchanting young flower for her name?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

9. - Top - End - #9

Dreven

Dreven walks up to the table
    "Hello there, would you mind if I sat here?"
    He sticks out his hand
    "Dreven Heartleaf, second year student. What are your names?"

10. - Top - End - #10

Aldon Moorcastle

Aldon turns suddenly as he hears Dreven speak. His look of suprise is suddenly replaced with his characteristic wry grin.

"Pleased to meet you. Aldon Moorcastle, second year Arcane Studies."
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Zekk Samoht stroll into the establishment and casts a quick glance about the room. Noticing that there is only one table which still has open seats he walks over and introduces himself.

"Hello my name is Zekk are there any objections if I take one of the last seats the table?"
    Last edited by Mahtobedis; 2009-05-31 at 02:53 PM.
    You will be part of my achievement.

I survived the Tomb of Horrors! 5/28/09

12. - Top - End - #12

Aldon Moorcastle

Aldon sits back down at the table.

"Greetings, Zekk. Aldon Moorcastle. I got to this table first, so be my guest." He chuckles softly to himself.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Elicia

A slim young woman in her early 20's sashays into the room. She is breathtakingly gorgeous, slender and well-endowed enough to make any succubus jealous. Her startlingly vivid green eyes shine with keen intelligence,and her blonde hair falls to her shoulders. Her outfit consists of altered, semitransparent mage robes that leave little to the imagination, emphasizing her surprisingly large breasts and clinging to her body tightly. Beyond her robes, she wears only a small messenger bag and a belt. The belt is stuffed with scrolls, pouches, and vials, and the bag rattles slightly when she walks. A large raven is perched on her shoulder, staring alertly around the room

She pauses in the doorway, glancing around the crowded room before pasting a grin on her face and continuing. Sauntering up to the table, she leans forward, conveniently placing her ample chest at eye-level for all the guys sitting down, and smiles brightly. Launching herself into the conversation in a forward manner, she cheerfully chirps, "Hi! I'm Elicia, secondyear enchantress. Are you all new here too?"

She notices the chair that Zekk is hovering by, spotting his faintly pointed ears. "Oh, you saved me a seat? Thanks, Tel'quess!" She smiles, thinking him to be an elf and calling him by the Elven name for their kind. She swoops into the seat, unintentionally giving Aldon a nice view of her rear as she does so and settling herself for a moment. Elicia points up at the raven on her shoulder.

"Guys, this is Quoth. Say 'hi' to the nice people, Quoth!" She pokes the raven a bit. Quoth glares at her sullenly for a moment, then fluffs his feathers and fixes everyone with a beady gaze. "Hullo," the raven mutters sullenly, his voice scratchy and low.

"Pretty crowded place, huh?" Elicia chats. "Has anyone ordered anything yet?"

14. - Top - End - #14

Aldon Moorcastle

Aldon grins at Elicia as she takes her seat, allowing his eyes to slowly take her all in.
    "A very good afternoon to you, miss. I don't believe we've met. Aldon Moorcastle, second year sorceror." Suddenly he whistled sharply. The keen sound cut through the hubbub of the cafeteria, and a beautiful azure parrot flew in through the open doors and alighted on his shoulder. "And this is my faithful lady Ermizhad. We may be sharing some classes this year. I'm sure we'll have an interesting time..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

At hearing himself referred to as a Tel'quess Zekk Samohts ears redden slightly as he grimaces at once again being mistaken for an elf. His eyes narrow as he looks down at Elicia.

"You are welcome to the seat. I would not want to sit while a lady had to stand, but I would appreciate it if you did not refer to me as a Tel'quess or elf again. I am not an elf."

Zekk Samoht then backs up a bit and kneels down next to the table, and his demeanor reverts back to the friendliness he had when he entered the establishment.

"By the way what classes is everyone planning on taking? I'm transferring in this year."
    Last edited by Mahtobedis; 2009-05-31 at 03:37 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Aldon Moorcastle

Aldon raises an eyebrow at Zekk's reaction, and set his gaze on Elicia, watching carefully for her reaction to her faux-pas.

"You're new? Fascinating. I'm taking the optional modules in concentration, arcana and spellcraft from arcane studies... along with the compulsory sorcery classes. What faculty are you with?"
    The level of his gaze drops absentmindedly. The beautiful azure parrot on his shoulder squawks loudly, and his eyeline meets Elicia's once more.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Zekks face lights up

"I specialize in invocation and channeling demonic energies"

Zekk is having a slightly easier time maintaining his focus at the table with Elicia, but this is most likely because he is not kneeling in a position to view her easily.

"I too am taking the module for spellcraft and the proper use of magic devices. I'm considering the planes and arcane."
    Last edited by Mahtobedis; 2009-05-31 at 04:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Aldon Moorcastle

"Interesting... channeling doesn't really suit my own style. I'm not one for rituals. Enchantments and illusions on the other hand..." Aldon grins. "I never really thought about taking the planar modules. I just chose the stuff I thought I could pass without too much trouble. Life's too short, y'know?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

19. - Top - End - #19

"All this magic is a bit above my head, illusions and enchantments I can grasp a bit since my mother was a sorceress but I never really had a head for using magic."
    "I'm in the stealth, infiltration and agile combat classes."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Maria

Maria had taken a seat amongst the confusion of all the arrivals (it seemed like everyone had converged on the table all at the same time), and raised a eyebrow at Dreven's comments. "Sounds like we'll be in the same classes, Dreven," she replied with a very slight smile. "Although I prefer the diplomacy and negotiation portions; I don't have a lot of interest in sneaking into places. Like other people's houses and rooms, for example."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Elicia

The enchantress blushes and smiles at Zekk. "Oh! You're not an elf? I'm sorry, I just saw your ears and I thought..." she trails off for a moment, then brightens. "Anyway! I'm taking courses in Basic Enchantment, and a couple in public speaking and diplomatic studies."

She smiles slowly at Aldon, knowing exactly where he was looking, and arches her back slightly for his benefit. "Yeah, I looked into those arcana electives, but I've always thought of arcane magic as something I feel and touch instead of study in a book, you know? Even so, any knowledge I can get about it might give me an edge. I think I'm enrolled in ARSP108, Arcane Studies. I did hear the school has some courses in dance, though! Sounds like a ton of fun."

Elicia favors Aldon with a slow grin. "It's lovely to meet you, Aldon. The pleasure's all mine. And what a beautiful parrot! Say hello to the nice lady, Quoth." She nudges the raven on her shoulder. Quoth blinks out of his doze, his beady eye instantly fixed on the stunning parrot. "Well, hello beautiful," he croaks with a keen glint in his eye, preening his feathers to look more presentable.

((For some reason, I'm suddenly imagining Quoth as being voiced by the Joker...))

22. - Top - End - #22

Aldon Moorcastle

Aldon laughs at Quoth. "You'd be better off talking to her in Avian than Common, dear raven." Emizhad squawks loudly to emphasize the point. He turns his head to look at Dreven and Maria.
    "As a matter of fact, I'm enrolling in the bluffing and diplomacy modules myself."
    He turns his attention back to Elicia.
    "Oh, I agree. Spellcasting is a sensual process. Wizards need to get their noses out of books and learn to enjoy the finer things in life." He stretches laconically. "You look like you'd make an excellent dancer, dear Elicia. Perhaps I might have the good fortune to see you perform one day. I'm sure Elorius could provide you with a beat..."
    Last edited by DamnedIrishman; 2009-05-31 at 05:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Elicia

"Pfeh!" Quoth caws. "Mind your own beezwax, bub! She'll warm up to me..."

Elicia gives Quoth a swat. "Behave, you! Hmmm..." She smiles, folds her arms on the table and leans forward, deliberately giving Aldon an eyeful of her ample chest. Elicia lets her eyes roam over Aldon as he stretches, and she laughs aloud. "Does Elorius sing? I've heard parrots are very good mimics...Anyway, I haven't had any formal dance training, just the odd stuff in taverns here or there, which is why I'm hoping to learn here at the university."

She blinks and looks around the rest of the group. "Oh! I just realized I didn't catch any of the rest of your names! I know this guy's Aldon...and the rest of you?"

24. - Top - End - #24

Dreven

Talking to Maria and deciding to ignore the last comment
    "I took a couple of those too, I don't have as much experience with those but I'm hoping to get better. Want to talk together on the train, we could each teach each other a couple of tricks?"
    Last edited by Istari; 2009-05-31 at 06:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

"I'll tell you what, raven, I'll trade you my female companion for your oYEEOW!" Aldon's words halt abruptly as Ermizhad bites him hard on the ear.
    Rubbing his injured lobes, he mutters, "Sheesh, it was just a joke. You're so touchy sometimes, you know that..." Ermizhad responds with a quiet squawk.
    "I'm sure what little dancing you learnt in taverns is still one of your most powerful enchantments." Aldon flashes a grin. Hell of a lot more effective than Charm Person, he thought to himself.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Slightly taken aback, Maria replied, "I-I-I'm sorry, but I have some ... studying to do that I was hoping to get done on the train ride. Perhaps some ... other time."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Elicia

The young enchantress blushes. "Oh, you flatterer. I'm not THAT good. Maybe you could teach me a few things." She laughs playfully, then looks around the group, listening for everyone else's names.

28. - Top - End - #28

You wouldn't have to be... Aldon thought to himself. He turned his attention to Maria. A shy one? Interesting.

"Perhaps another round of introductions is in order? You all know me. Where is everyone from?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Elicia

Elicia brushes her bangs behind one ear and shrugs. "I'm from nowhere special--Port Salmar, a big coastal town. My dad's a blacksmith, so he sent me here to learn how to enchant weapons. How about you guys?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

(OOC: Good god, where did all these posts come from?! )

Elorius Lai

Since Elorius was distracted with opening his instrument case and checking to make sure it was in good condition, he missed much of the conversation. Looking back up, he was surprised to see that there were three other people at the table.

"Sorry about that Aldon, I had to check my filddle case--oh! Hello, I'm Elorius Lai, second year student at the University, and, a-and...uh..." he loses his focus for a moment as he sees the striking figures of Maria and Elicia, "Uh, and I'm from Scarborough, over to the east. My fiddle should tell you that I'm studying for a Bardic Adventurer's Degree..."