New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Strange spells from a bored mind

Modified the Sor/Wis level. Still think the other levels are correct though. Fireball has an incredibly higher damage chance and reflex half instead of reflex negates.

In other news... should I stop making spells?...

Nah, not for a while at least.

Charming bow

Enchantment (charm) [mindaffecting]

Level: Sor/Wis 9
    Components: V, S, F
    Casting time: 1 full round action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Charming bow fuses the spells focus into your hand and turns it into a magical bow that you are automatically proficient with. For the duration of the spell you can make special ranged attacks with the bow like with any other ranged weapon with these exceptions. The bow doesn't need any ammunition, but insteads provides the bow with a magical supply of special arrows. These arrows deal only 1 point of damage, but all those struck by the arrow must make a will save or be charmed as the spell "charm monster". The arrows have the ghost touch special quality, and provide a +5 bonus on them to bypass damage reduction and increase hit chance. They also have the same alignment as the caster. The bow can not be sundered or disarmed and returns to it's normal state once the spell is over and done with.

Focus: A small ebony bow worth at least 100 gp.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally a truly strange spell. A surgery spell. ;D

Painless slumber

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind affecting]

Level: Sor/Wis 1, Clr 1, Druid 1, Apostle of Peace 1.
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting time: 1 minute
    Range: Short 25/2 ft. per level
    Target: One living creature
    Duration: 24 hours
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell induces the target into a deep slumber that one cannot be woken from by normal means. The subject sleeps for 24 hours and feels no pain whatsoever during that time. An alarm spell can be included in the spell to wake the subject up earlier. The subject of the spell must be truly willing to go to sleep, or the spell won't work. If the creature is under a compulsion or charm effect, the spell does not work.

Arcane Material Component: A handful of sand.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

I can see some combat purposes for this one. They have to be willing to go to sleep, right?

1. Suggestion: You are getting verrry sleeeepy....

2. Painless Slumber

3. Coup de Grace

Not painless anymore. ;D
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Fixed it for you, but you still have a 1 minute casting time, so it won't be a combat spell at all.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Spells, spells and even more spells. Why? Because I like magic.

Aqua Wave

Evocation

Level: Sor/Wis 6, Wu Jen 6 (water)
    Components: V, S
    Casting time: 1 standard action
    Range: 120 ft.
    Area: 120-ft. line
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

The spell creates a shockwave of water that strikes through anything in it's path. Any creature caught in the path of the shockwave take 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per caster level (up to a maximum of 15d6 at 15th level) and creatures with the fire subtype take 50% more damage from the spell. The spell ignores hardness and passes through any non magical barrier, even if the barrier withstands the attack. If the target fails their reflex save, they must make a fortitude save or be knocked on the ground.

Mystic blast

Evocation

Level: Sor/Wis 2, Wu Jen 2
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Area: Target within reach
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates

The spell creates a rainbow hued shockwave of force that travels along the ground to strike the target. Any creature less than five feet up in the air that is targetet by this spel must make a reflex save or take 1d4 points of force damage per caster level (up to a maximum of 10d4 at 15th level) as the shockwave crashes into the creature. You must have a clear line between you and the target for the spell to work.

Elemental weapon

Transmutation (acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic)

Level: Sor/Wis 3
    Components: V, S, F
    Range: Touch
    Target: Weapon held
    Duration: 1 minute/level
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless, object)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless object)

Magical energy swirls around the weapon you hold and gives it the ability to be flaming, shocking, corrosive, screaming or frost capabilities. You can change the elemental property of the weapon to another one as a full round action as long as you hold the weapon for the entire round. Ranged weapons bestow this property to their ammuniton.

Focus: A masterwork weapon with no magical enchantments that turns into the elemental weapon.

(I don't know the names for the weapon elements, and I don't have the time to look them up at the moment, so I'll probably change them later on. So please don't comment on that unless you know what the real name is.)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aqua Wave is a balanced for a 6th level spell; I wouldn't make any changes other than to specify what type of damage the spell deals. If it's done by rushing water, then it's probably bludgeoning damage. Might be interesing if it had a chance to knock it's targets prone. I know I'd be on my butt if I got hit with a torrent of water.

Mystic Blast looks good, but again, I'd specify what type of damage it deals. The damage cap is a little high, however. Ten dice for a second level spell is pushing it, I think, though the "reflex negates" along with a short range and single target compensates. I'm on the fence for this one.

Elemental Weapon looks fine to me, (the names you weren't sure on are Frost and Screaming), but change

Bows give their magical abilities to the arrows they fire, but only once each round.
    to: "Ranged weapons bestow this property to their ammuniton." I'd let ranged weapons fire the enhanced arrows without any restrictions, unless you also apply the same to melee weapons.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

(Yay for lowlevel performance spells.)

Weather Illusion

Illusion (Figment)

Level: Bard 2, Sor/Wis 3
    Components: V, S,
    Casting time: 1 full round action
    Target: Illiusionary weather created
    Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
    Saving Throw: None or Will Negates (harmless, interaction)
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates illusionary weather. The weather can be all from sunshine to rain, sleet and even hail. However, the weather has no effects other than looking like real weather. There is no heat from the illusionary sunshine and the rain doesn't make you wet.

Wounding

Transmutation

Level: Bard 1, Sor/Wis 1
    Target: One living creature
    Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
    Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates (harmless)

This spell causes the target to appear wounded. Though the wounds aren't technically real, they look so real that only a DC 30 heal check can discern them as fake, and that requires one minute of uninterupted study. The spell makes the body appear, bruised, broken, bleeding or any combination of the above, but it cannot create major changes like twisting a limb or removing organs. When the spell ends, the creature's wounds closes and all blood and body fluids created by the spell instantly vaporize and disappear.

(And now... other incredibly strange spells that I made because of Vorpal Tribble's Spiderbelly.)

Devourer

Transmutation

Level: Sor/Wis 4, Drd 3, Rgr 4,
    Components: V, S, M
    Target: One living creature touched
    Duration: 24 hours
    Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates

This spell gives the target of the spell the target creature the "swallow whole" special attack. The target must have a bite attack for the spell to work, otherwise the spell has no effect. Devourer can be made permanent with "Permanency"

Material Component: A bit of hair or a few scales from a creature with the "Swallow Whole" extraordinary ability.

Permanency cost: 500 xp

Harmless digestion

Transmutation

Level: Sor/Wis 4, Drd 3, Rgr 4
    Components: S, V, M
    Target: One creature with the "Swallow Whole" Extraordinary quality.
    Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
    Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates and see text

This spell affects the target creature's digestive nature and prevents the natural digestive system to run it's course and replace it with a different alternative. All creatures swallowed by the creature does not take damage from being swallowed, but must make a fortitude save (DC 10 + spell level + ability modifier or DC 10 + 1/2 HD + creature's con modifier, whichever is greater) or be paralyzed by the gaseous substance that replaces the normal digestive system. The paralyzing doesn't actually paralyze the creature, and it isn't considered helpless, but it is to weak to take any strenuous actions. The caster can change from the normal digestive system to the magical nonlethal alternative made through this spell, but each time the caster make the change, as well as when the spell is originally cast, the creature and the caster must make opposable will saves. If the creature's will save beats the casters will save, the creature wrestles the control from the caster and can decide for itself which alternative to use. Changing alternative is a move action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Harmless digestion can be made permanent with permanency, but only if the creature is in control of the spell effect.

Material Component: A small vial of water and a handful of sand.

Permanency cost: 1000 xp.

(Perhaps I ought to stop... this is seriously strange I tell you.)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Saving my thread from death. It still has more to give when school work is done, and it makes for easy reference material to those who wonder WHEN Sorcerers began blasting waves of water.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Summon Hero

Conjuration (calling) [good]

Level: Sor/Wis 9, Drd 9, Clr 9.
    Components: V, S, M, F
    Target: One living creature and one hero.
    Duration: 1 minute/level
    Saving Throw: Will Negates (harmless)

This spell summons the spiritual energy of a hero, living or dead, to come to your aid. The spell fuses your spiritual energy and the spiritual energy of the hero into one powerful being, however if the Hero isn't willing the spell automatically fails. The Hero will know the situation the spell is cast in, what intent the caster has, and her alignment. The Hero can at any time choose to leave the caster, ending the spell immediately. For the duration of the spell, you can switch between your own form and that of the hero. Your ability scores change so that only the best of both worlds is given. For example, if you have an intelligence of 18, and the hero has 14 intelligence, you will have 18 intelligence. If the hero has 18 strenght and you have 10, you gain the heros strenght of 18. You also share feats and skills, and they are usable in any form. You also gain the heros proficiencies, extra ordinary abilities, spell casting abilities, spell like abilities, racial bonuses and supernatural abilities, but only when in the hero form. For example, if Sakurai a 19 level wizard casts Summon Hero to fuse with Hikari, the level 18 fighter, she gains all of Hikari's feats and skills. She also gains his strenght, dexterity and constitution scores because they are greater than hers. She can now change into Hikari to gain his weapon proficiencies and Hit Dice, and be incredibly effective in melee, but she can't cast any more spells unless she changes back into her original form. Changing forms is a swift action that can be performed once each round.

Generally speaking, a Hero is anyone who has done a significant exalted deed and is of good alignment. Usually, a Hero will only accept a caster if he or she is of good alignment.

Material Component: Seven jewels coloured red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Each gem must be worth at least 100 gp.

Focus: An image of the hero, or something that once belonged to him/her.

Summon Villian

Conjuration (calling) [evil]

Sor/Wiz 9, Clr 9, Drd 9.

This spell functions like summon hero except as noted here. The spell summons a villian rather than a hero. A villian is one who is of evil alignment and has done a significant vile deed.

Material Component: Seven jewels coloured black, purple, grey, brown, crimson, tan and white.

Focus: An image of the villian, or something that once belonged to him/her.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Umm... no I didn't do necromancy. I'm using... healing magic. Yeah, that's right. I'm casting true ressurection on this thread.

New Reality.

Illusion (Glamer) [Mind Affecting]

Level: Sor/Wis 9, Wu Jen 9.
    Casting time: 3 rounds
    Range: Medium (100+10/level)
    Target: Area (S).
    Duration: Concentration+1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Will Negates (harmless)

New reality forces the surrounding area to seem different. During the duration of the spell, the caster can decide what everything inside the area seems to be. For example, she can make a forest look like it is on fire. The creatures inside the area of effect will see, hear, smell, feel and taste the fire as though it is real. A successful willsave allows the target to notice that it is only an illusion, but he still can't sense anything but the illusion. Creatures standing near the edge of the illusion can look into it or out of it and gain a +10 on their willsave to notice it as an illusion.

And now I leave it for you to pick appart.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Star Rain

Evocation [Force]

Level: Sor/Wis 9, Warmage 9, Wu Jen 9
    Target: 20-ft.-radius spread
    Saving Throw: Reflex half.

Star rain calls upon a rain of starshaped blasts from the heavens. Upon striking the ground on the spot you designate, they explode in a blizzard of light. All caught in the blast takes 1d4 points of force damage per caster level to a maximum of 25d4. The explosion causes no pressure or heat, but it is certainly a sight to behold.