Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Let's end the world.

I have a challenge, of sorts. Let's see how quickly(read as: at how low a level) a given character can end the world. By this, I mean actually break apart the physical planet Earth. This is assuming that this character dwells on Earth. Simply killing everyone on the planet is not the final goal.
    Rules:
    Rule 1: No infinite loops. No pun pun stuff.
    Rule 2: Cheese is to be limited when possible.

To get things rolling: create a portal to the center of the planet. Get a Sphere of Annihilation in there. Assuming Spheres are inherently weightless, the planet collapses, then drifts apart.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Let's end the world.

Summon Anti-Osmium Bomb!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Singularity bomb.

Or

Drop the moon.

Or

Drop a sphere of annihilation into the sea.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-06-03 at 05:37 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

See my sig. It assumes a 50th level caster (a consequence of the thread) but a 17th level caster produces a blast big enough to pop every last hit point (figuring the earth as a series of 10x10x10 cubes of rock, hardness included in every block).
    Last edited by Swordguy; 2009-06-03 at 05:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Anything that will end the world is by it's nature inherently cheesy, IMHO.
    [edit]
    Return of the Cat Girl Genocide Machine, yay!
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2009-06-03 at 05:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Anyone unaging, immune to fire, and able to cause something like 20-30 points of damage per attack (with full PA on a two-handed weapon). A fire genasi fighter should work, fairly low level. You take your weapon and start smashing the world apart. Earth and rock only have a hardness of something like 20, and magma is a non-factor with your immunity. It'll take a while, but eventually you'll break the Earth apart.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Zombie

O-level classless farmer opens a box removing the protection spell on the sphere of annihilation and dumps it on the ground.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Opening a portal between the center of the planet and anywhere on the surface would release the pressure in the core, and the solid core would vaporize as it came out the portal, searing anything nearby. As things fall to fill the space, the planet would be dissolved.

That has nothing to do with D&D though, so I don't have a character level for you.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    Or throw the moon. The damage gets higher and higher the further you get into the thread.

You could probably make an epic spell that specifically destroys the earth. I don't go into epic so I don't know the specifics.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    Anyone unaging, immune to fire, and able to cause something like 20-30 points of damage per attack (with full PA on a two-handed weapon). A fire genasi fighter should work, fairly low level. You take your weapon and start smashing the world apart. Earth and rock only have a hardness of something like 20, and magma is a non-factor with your immunity. It'll take a while, but eventually you'll break the Earth apart.
    Well you'd have to have a weapon that was immune to the magma's effects as well.. and you'd have to do something about breathing. Mostly though I can see this working on the crust, but the mantles are sort of like porridge/ooze and the core is molten so what's he do once he's down there other than go for a swim?

...At what level could a magic-user scry out the molten core of a planet and then open a two-way portal to it for long enough to vent it out?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-06-03 at 05:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't the 1 d2 crusader manage the job?

Doesn't need to be above level ten, if I (unlikely as that may be) remember right.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

12. - Top - End - #12

Be an Elan Wizard 11 with a ring of minor fire resistance.. Cast disintegrate at the earth 1/day. Once you reach the mantle, sit atop your many Extended Floating Disks. Try not to go insane over the next 1017 years.
    Last edited by RS14; 2009-06-03 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Error in computation.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    See my sig. It assumes a 50th level caster (a consequence of the thread) but a 17th level caster produces a blast big enough to pop every last hit point (figuring the earth as a series of 10x10x10 cubes of rock, hardness included in every block).
    I still say you might as well go all the way out and go for anti-neutron degenerate matter.
    20th level caster, and assuming a .1% efficiency (Trinity test had ~4.5% efficiency, Little Boy ~1.4%, and modern weapons much higher, but we'll assume worse compression). We'll also use 1x10^9 kg/m^3, the estimated density at the surface of a neutron star according to Wikipedia, as opposed to the denser numbers. We have roughly 566.000.000kg of antimatter (doubled due to the matter involved in such a reaction).
    Resultant explosion deals roughly 1.6*10^20 d6's of damage, averaging 5.630.000.000.000.000.000 (5.6 quintillion) damage.

That's if only .1% of the matter reacts before the explosion blows so much of it apart that it has no real effect; a full effect as Swordguy I believe used would instead be 5.6 sextillion damage. Using a less conservative estimate for the density (equal to the density of an atomic nucleus, 2x10^17kg/m^3) moves it all the way to roughly 11 octillian damage (and even at 1% efficiency, overcomes the gravitational binding energy of the earth).
    EDIT: Big numbers > me.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2009-06-03 at 07:45 PM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

14. - Top - End - #14

HalfOrcPirate

The entire commoner population of the world locks hands and readies an action to pass a length of string around the world, from east to west. The resulting light-speed transfer of the mass will reverse the earth's rotation, causing currents to freeze. The ocean freezes over, the magma under the earth will harden, and the planet will crack and die.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I alternatively advocate that this can be done within RAW.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by woodenbandman View Post
    The entire commoner population of the world locks hands and readies an action to pass a length of string around the world, from east to west. The resulting light-speed transfer of the mass will reverse the earth's rotation, causing currents to freeze. The ocean freezes over, the magma under the earth will harden, and the planet will crack and die.
    Nah, some commoners just go flying into deep space. The commoners can only affect the earth to the extent that they can hold onto it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have any specifics in mind, but I'm pretty sure there's some shenanigans we can pull with Reverse Gravity.

There's always your standard vacuum + ring gates + pebble super-acceleration trick, but that's easy.

Perhaps something that moves large quantities of planar mass to other planes? Bringing in a handful of Voidstones would be... well, I forget if they affect nonliving matter, but they'll cause some hazard zones.

Maybe if we can get to the center of the earth (easy enough) and cast Gate, everything will be drawn into the gate and sent, well, wherever. I hear the Astral is lovely this time of year.

Eh, I got nothing, really.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 28. Everyone is welcome!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

Queer pride isn't limited to one month!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    I alternatively advocate that this can be done within RAW.
    Anti-Osmium bomb is RAW. Nothing says you have to be familiar with the created material, likewise, nothing in the RAW says that nuclear physics (etc) don't work in D&D. It breaks no written rules (it may break UNwritten ones, but we aren't talking about URAW, are we?).

I do regret coming up with the thing, though. It's a perfect storm of RAWtardedness and people that advocate that sort of playstyle in actual game play represent a good portion of what I HATE about gameing/gamers. "The rules say I can" is a cheap cop-out - people damn well know what the designers intended the rules to be, and are deliberately using a poor language choice to produce an effect bad for the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

19. - Top - End - #19
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I think the sort of hideous abuses you have to perpetrate upon the english language to get the Anti-Osmium bomb to function disqualify it under Rule 2 of the OP. Arguing that Antimatter is matter....gah.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2009-06-03 at 08:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Antimatter is matter, just with a poor name. The only practical difference is how the quarks happen to be arranged. It's like saying a human is a mammal but a rat isn't, because a rat is arranged differently.
    EDIT: Or perhaps a better example is calling mammals animals but refusing to accept coral or anemones as animals, because of the vastly different biology.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2009-06-03 at 08:22 PM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    Antimatter is matter, just with a poor name. The only practical difference is how the quarks happen to be arranged. It's like saying a human is a mammal but a rat isn't, because a rat is arranged differently.
    Arrangement is important. Citing diamonds and graphite.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:
    Aldon Moorcastle (Adventurer Education)
    Edwick the Magnificent (Heroes & Villains)
    My Homebrew: Surikats (Race)

22. - Top - End - #22

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    I think the sort of hideous abuses you have to perpetrate upon the english language to get the Anti-Osmium bomb to function disqualify it under Rule 2 of the OP. Arguing that Antimatter is matter....gah.
    Ah but it is. Sort of, and for a given definition of mater as anything that has mass and takes up space.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnedIrishman View Post
    Arrangement is important. Citing diamonds and graphite.
    But diamonds and graphite fall under the blanket term "Carbon" likewise anti-mater and regular mater both fall under the term mater.

But the definition of mater is not what this is about. This is about using the commoner rail gun and such not to end the world.
    Last edited by kopout; 2009-06-03 at 08:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Actually, that rule sort of disqualifies everything. "Cheese" is a relative term and all, but really, isn't BREAKING THE DAMN PLANET the definition of cheese? How the hell are you going to do that without RAW abuse anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    Actually, that rule sort of disqualifies everything. "Cheese" is a relative term and all, but really, isn't BREAKING THE DAMN PLANET the definition of cheese? How the hell are you going to do that without RAW abuse anyway?
    I submit that my solution was not cheesy at all. Absurd, yes, but not cheesy.

25. - Top - End - #25

cast wish?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

...but really, isn't BREAKING THE DAMN PLANET the definition of cheese?
    cheese /tʃiz/
    –noun 1. the curd of milk separated from the whey and prepared in many ways as a food.

Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2009-06-03 at 09:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so now that we've determined what cheese is by English RAW...
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

Clearly, then, we want to end the world without involving a group dairy products during the whole process.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

The real question here is whether or not we can summon enough anticheese to crack the world.

Anybody know the density of cheese off-hand?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    I do regret coming up with the thing, though. It's a perfect storm of RAWtardedness and people that advocate that sort of playstyle in actual game play represent a good portion of what I HATE about gameing/gamers. "The rules say I can" is a cheap cop-out - people damn well know what the designers intended the rules to be, and are deliberately using a poor language choice to produce an effect bad for the game.
    This is not really a case of "the rules say I can", but more like "the rules don't say that I can't".

Of course, in nearly every roleplaying game (4E excepted), the default is that you can do whatever you like as long as no rule say that you can't.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!