New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Shock Trooper + Pounce

Shock Trooper allows you to distribute some or all of your Power Attack penalty to your AC instead of your Attack roll on a charge, and Pounce lets you get a full attack action on a charge....

The problem I see is that Shock Trooper was not written with Pounce in mind, and I am wondering if every attack you make on that turn gets the extra damage or just the first one...
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shock Trooper + Pounce

Power Attack, by default, applies to all your attacks for the entire round, including AoOs. So yes, it should work on all the attacks on a pounce.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

From what I read of Power Attack, its effects only apply to the first attack, so ultimately pounce and power attack as shock trooper won't be a good mix, because the AC penalty stays, but the attack roll penalty and damage bonus only apply to the first attack. So Shock Trooper becomes more or less self destructive.

Edit, never mind, just re-read it. It does say all.

So go for it, though if you don't kill the enemy with all the hits, I wouldn't lower the AC
    Last edited by Croverus; 2009-06-04 at 01:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    From what I read of Power Attack, its effects only apply to the first attack, so ultimately pounce and power attack as shock trooper won't be a good mix, because the AC penalty stays, but the attack roll penalty and damage bonus only apply to the first attack. So Shock Trooper becomes more or less self destructive.

Edit, never mind, just re-read it. It does say all.

So go for it, though if you don't kill the enemy with all the hits, I wouldn't lower the AC
    Ah yeah, I made the same mistake you did, that is what threw me off...

That clears this up! thanks guys

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    If you can't kill whatever you're pointed at with a Shock Troopered Pouncing charge, you shouldn't be charging that thing. You should be running the hell away. The other thing to consider is that if you're not focusing on AC anyway, you don't lose all that much by trading it away.

6. - Top - End - #6

This seems like a good place to ask. Does the AC penalty from Shock trooper apply to AOOs provoked by the charge? When I move, I haven't used Power Attack yet, and the SRD implies that the normal -2 penalty doesn't take effect until the end of my turn.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    If you can't kill whatever you're pointed at with a Shock Troopered Pouncing charge, you shouldn't be charging that thing. You should be running the hell away. The other thing to consider is that if you're not focusing on AC anyway, you don't lose all that much by trading it away.
    Or you just didn't hit enough. Add Robilar's Gambit and Karmic Strike to the mix to take care of lack of attacks. If you can't kill it with 4, you can probably kill it with 12.

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Faleldir View Post
    This seems like a good place to ask. Does the AC penalty from Shock trooper apply to AOOs provoked by the charge? When I move, I haven't used Power Attack yet, and the SRD implies that the normal -2 penalty doesn't take effect until the end of my turn.
    I dont think it does, because as you said you havent used Power Attack yet.

Also since this is directly related:

If I were to also do a leap attack combined with the pounce and shock trooper, does every attack get the leap attack damage bonus or just the first one?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Choco View Post
    If I were to also do a leap attack combined with the pounce and shock trooper, does every attack get the leap attack damage bonus or just the first one?
    RAW is unclear, although as there's no statement limiting it to only one attack, it's reasonable to assume it applies to all attacks you make at the end of a charge. RAI is unclear. It really comes down to what you mean by Pounce in game terms. A cat's pounce means, it latches onto you with all its limbs at once hence why it does all the attacks at the end of a charge, plus rake (that is, back legs).

A Barbarian though? He does multiple attacks with the same weapon; to me it simply looks like he pulls some sort of a flurry, which would mean the Leap Attack only applies to the first. Balance-wise, Charging is strong enough as it is; applying Shock Trooper and Leap Attack to only first attack after the charge goes a long way towards fixing that (chances are, they simply weren't thinking of Pounce when printing those; coincidentially, feline creature are fcking brutal with the same feats).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2009-06-04 at 05:27 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    {Scrubbed}
    Leap Attack, not PA.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2009-06-04 at 05:27 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Leap Attack, not PA.
    Leap attack only modifies the damage ratio of PA, you're still using PA.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Cats and barbs.
    I would rule that the momentum from the leap is still going, or the barbarian is attacking in midair

Now that's cool.