New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Balance Question [DnD 3.5]

I've been thinking about how odd numbered ability scores are pretty irrelevant; a 16 strength guy is exactly as strong as a 17 strength guy except in carrying capacity. As one way to counteract this I was thinking about adding or subtracting one from all those buffs that give a straight even number to an ability score. Thoughts? Would this seriously upset anything?

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Balance Question [DnD 3.5]

The advantage of having even numbered buffs is that it adds a set number to the abilities it affects. For Example; Bulls Strength effectively adds +2 to hit and damage. If you make it an odd number, then it's just a little more paper work; e.g. Bulls Strength would add +1 to hit and damage for those with even Strength and +2 to his and damage for those with odd strength.

It would make buffs have a different effects on different characters.

Having said that, though, I don't think it would horribly throw the game out of kilter if you wanted to do it. Personally I quite liked the 3.0 idea which added a random number (1d4+1 I think), though I'd personally make it a variable based on caster level (so that a 10th level Cleric buffs better than a 3rd level Cleric, for example)
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess the random has been eliminated to avoid abuses.
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2009-06-05 at 04:23 AM.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Like what? At most, a Maximised Empowered Bulls Strength gave 1d4+6 Str, but for a Level 7 spell that's far from overpowered
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    More likely, I'd say it was eliminated to simplify bookkeeping: you always know how much that spell is going to up your to-hit and damage, or whatever, instead of having to record a roll and refer to it each time.

I think the reasoning may be that if the same buff has different effects depending on whether you have an odd or even score, odd scores become more worthwhile. As things stand, there are only a handful of reasons if you're point-buying to spend enough to increase a score by one rather than two: to buffer against drain or to meet feat minimums, that's pretty much it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

All of the feats with ability score prerequisites require odd-numbered ability scores. An int 13 fighter is very different from an int 12 fighter, for example.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

You could say that if you have an odd stat, round its bonus up instead of down. For example, a two-handed weapon with Str 16 deals +4 damage, but with Str 17 it would deal +5 damage. If you use average HP, make an odd-numbered Con add 0.5 HP/level. For most ability scores this wouldn't be applicable, but the above two are fairly significant.

Also keep in mind that every feat that has an ability score prerequisite requires an odd-numbered ability score. A character may take Int 12 for more skill points, but they'd need Int 13 to get Combat Expertise.

If you're going to adjust the buffs, make them add one point more, instead of one point less. An odd numbered ability score gets just as much benefit from a +4 buff as it does from a +3, by reducing the bonus you're only making a medium-power spell less useful. A bonus of +5 is no more useful than a +4 for an even ability score, but the benefit to an odd ability score is significantly greater.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Also keep in mind that every feat that has an ability score prerequisite requires an odd-numbered ability score. A character may take Int 12 for more skill points, but they'd need Int 13 to get Combat Expertise.
    Which really runs counterintuitive to the whole streamlining process, as these are the only things that key off of odd scores (well, besides carrying capacity). I guess it's sort of a nod to the randomness of the roll - if you end up rolling a fighter with a 13, at least you have somewhere to put it where it's not just a glorified 12.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    Like what? At most, a Maximised Empowered Bulls Strength gave 1d4+6 Str, but for a Level 7 spell that's far from overpowered
    Actually, didn't think about the fact that if you maximized and twinned it, it didn't stack. I'am wrong, probably they changed this aspect for what kamikasei said.

The real nerf was only about duration, so.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I also like the 3.0 versions of the Animal's Ability spells.

Any change that cuts down on item-dependency is a good change in my book.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

It might be simpler to eliminate odd stats all together, lower or raise all pre-reqs by 1, and give a +2 to an ability score every 8 levels. Odd stats would be lowered by one, or perhaps you flip a coin to raise/lower each. Tomes would be available in +2, +4, and perhaps +6 to counter the lack of a level 20 inherent boost. Wishes to do the same would need an even number of castings to have any effect. From there you could take it a step further and only track your modifiers.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-06-05 at 11:21 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    It might be simpler to eliminate odd stats all together, lower or raise all pre-reqs by 1, and give a +2 to an ability score every 8 levels. Odd stats would be lowered by one, or perhaps you flip a coin to raise/lower each. Tomes would be available in +2, +4, and perhaps +6 to counter the lack of a level 20 inherent boost. Wishes to do the same would need an even number of castings to have any effect. From there you could take it a step further and only track your modifiers.
    This must be using a defintion of the word 'simpler' that I was previously unaware of...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

If you really want to make odd scores relevant, you could convert d20 (d20 + stat mod) into 2d20 (2d20 + stat). This also gives rolls a bell curve distribution, obviously.

I've thought about doing that, but I've not yet been wiling to sit down and list all of the math you have to do for the conversion. Obviously, you have to double the right differences and add or subtract 10 in the right places to get everything to work out right.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JonestheSpy View Post
    This must be using a defintion of the word 'simpler' that I was previously unaware of...
    When everything is even, you can divide everything by 2 without losing precision. (yay math!) While at it, if you reduce everything by 5, without affecting anything, you get the 'new' system, where -1 ability score means -1 ability modifier, and where +5 score is +5 modifier.

Now, THAT is simple :)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    When everything is even, you can divide everything by 2 without losing precision. (yay math!) While at it, if you reduce everything by 5, without affecting anything, you get the 'new' system, where -1 ability score means -1 ability modifier, and where +5 score is +5 modifier.

Now, THAT is simple :)
    Yeah, I have often thought that should be the next logical step for attributes, that the attribute is the modifier. So the average human has a zero for every attribute.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

i prefer having odd numbered skills,beacause every 4 levels i get an added bonus

17. - Top - End - #17
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'm aware of the feat thing, but I find it unsatisfying because each feat tends to be relevant to a few classes per feat, and generally one feat chain for each ability score, and often they're pumping that ability anyways, for example, power attack or point blank shot. While there are exceptions, feat prerequisites do not generally go very far in distinguishing even ability scores from odd ones. Even when it matters (as with intelligence and a fighter) what distinguishes an int 15 fighter from an int 14 fighter? Or an int 11 fighter from an int 10 fighter? It just doesn't go very far.

Quote Originally Posted by darkblust View Post
    i prefer having odd numbered skills,beacause every 4 levels i get an added bonus
    That's another potential difference, but a lot of the time people tend to want to pump just one stat, and spellcasters almost always do.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns